Author Topic: Arbor fix  (Read 2176 times)

Offline Holsterguy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
Arbor fix
« on: April 24, 2021, 03:36:03 PM »
Been messin with a Pietta 1860 army that was giving me fits shootin it. Got to thinking after reading about Uberti’s arbors, so I checked that too. Had to use about 1/8” of brass washers, but now it fits great. Re-worked the wedge, drilled out the arbor pin, unscrewed, coated with red locktite, new pin, put the assembly back together. After it dried, it’s rock solid.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
Re: Arbor fix
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 05:41:02 PM »
I don't use any "thread lockers",  I upset the material at the shoulder so as to torque (and I mean torque!) the arbor back in place.  I reinstall the cylinder, barrel and wedge and then install the over-sized locking pin.

Just the way I do it .  .  . 

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 06:10:56 PM »
Holsterguy, bein' as this is the first report I've seen on a short Pietta arbor, I'm wondering when this pistola was manufactured?  Glad you got 'er fixed up.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:52:49 PM »

Offline Holsterguy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 06:42:04 PM »
Abilene- I’ll check when I get home a let you guys know. I know I was suprised to see the arbor was short, let alone that short.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 07:27:25 PM »
Probably an older one. Old ones drift through the shop as well.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline Holsterguy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 07:43:28 PM »
Just got back home made in 1995

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2021, 07:45:58 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 02:24:00 PM »
I've got a Pietta 51 Navy made in 1996 that has a short arbor. I don't remember the exact measurement, but it was substantial.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 05:15:59 PM »

:)  Hi Guys   ;)

Annoying.  Really annoying.  Not that some "older" Pietta's have been found with Short Arbors.  We who work/worked on Cap Guns understand the Older Pietta guns were just as nasty as Uberti.  SO, you might ask, Whats so annoying.  Well:

Pietta fix'd their short arbor problem and their guns are now almost perfect.  Close enough not to really bother about.  Uberti . . . . on the other hand . . . . has had "Short Arbor" syndrome for decades.  Uberti has made no effort to address the issue and fix it.  Uberti SUX, even if I'm retired and not working on 'em any longer.

CAUTION:  People Are Hazardous to Yer Health

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 06:08:57 PM »
:)  Hi Guys   ;)

Annoying.  Really annoying.  Not that some "older" Pietta's have been found with Short Arbors.  We who work/worked on Cap Guns understand the Older Pietta guns were just as nasty as Uberti.  SO, you might ask, Whats so annoying.  Well:

Pietta fix'd their short arbor problem and their guns are now almost perfect.  Close enough not to really bother about.  Uberti . . . . on the other hand . . . . has had "Short Arbor" syndrome for decades.  Uberti has made no effort to address the issue and fix it.  Uberti SUX, even if I'm retired and not working on 'em any longer.

CAUTION:  People Are Hazardous to Yer Health

Ah My Dear Coffin

Not to be ornery, but I like the Uberti issues! Not only do they give Goon a source of regular income,
But when they show up at a pawnshop all locked up, I can get them REALLY CHEAP....

They remind me of the problematic Jaguars that needed constant expensive engine .. stuff..
I cannot count the number of Jag owners who bought into the mistique, but discovered they could not drive the blasted thing home after a short trip to the grocers. .... After numerous tow trips, one overly rich lady I knew traded  her Jag in on a top end Ford Taurus and never looked back.

I knew a couple of fellows who would buy them used, really cheap ( he got one from a frustrated owner for $500 ) and drop a complete Chevy small block V8 in with an adapter plate.

Poof ! Instant cool fast Jag with an easy to maintain engine!
"Real Jag" owners looked down their noses, but... Hey .... Not only a reliable car, but he beat them regularly in 0 to 60 ....

Kinda like the Rolls Royce Silver Shadow that kept getting sold, used, cheap in the Denver area ... Trading hands every year for many lustrum. A newby guy would get it used, have fun driving it around, then find out how much basic maintenance costs... I thinks an oil change was several hundred bucks.... Then it would go in the used car ads again....

yhs
Prof mumbles
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2021, 08:10:25 PM »
Thanks so much Perfessor!!!  Us young bucks (64?) gotta  have sumpthin ta work on!!  .  .  .   otherwise we'd be all skinny n stuff!!
 Personally, I prefer Uberti .  .  .  not just for a more correct "offering"  but the action parts are soooo much better than anything ever offered by anybody (even Sam!!)!!  Thin where they're sposed to be (like originals)  instead of fat modern renditions of 70's era parts! (Lol .  .  .  I ain't biased neither!!) .  .  .  but I understand where Thuther Mike is coming from (Shhhhhhhhh .  .  .  he's old!!)  so , I can look thuther way !!  Fixing short arbors is easy peasy or I might feel the same way. Not to mention what would we do without Walkers n Dragoons .  .  .  pocket pistols n such?!!!!  Sumpthin fer everbody!! 

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2021, 08:04:06 AM »
Well blow me down!! After being on this forum for a dozen years I've never been aware that Sir Coffinmaker didn't like Uberti hoglegs!!! Learn sumthin' every day!  :o :o ::) ;D ;D
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline StrawHat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2021, 03:37:04 PM »
Just got back home made in 1995

1995! You should retire that antique!

Kevin
Knowledge is to be shared not hoarded.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com