Author Topic: Shotshell loaders  (Read 1262 times)

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
Shotshell loaders
« on: January 23, 2021, 06:34:12 PM »
Okay, I have a Lee Load all for 20 gauge. I am looking at either getting a conversion kit for it in 12 Gauge. But, I hear most folks like the Mec loaders a lot better. What are the pros and cons? Thanks
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: Shotshell loaders
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 10:41:25 PM »
From what I've seen, it might be easier to find another Load All in 12 gauge. 

Primary advantage of MECs over Lee seems to be speed of production, better support, and possibly more flexibility. 
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 10:46:29 PM »
My Dear Deacon

MEC s are strong, robust, a miniature assembly line and pricey, and usually come with
One or two of the needed bushings. The bottles come off and sometimes get misplaced or something else unfortunate.

Lee s are compact, somewhat weaker, made of aluminum and breakable plastic,
But they come with ALL the bushings for every load and powder, and the bottles are integral. And they are quite cheap.

I had the MEC and loved it when I shot trap several times a week.
The Lee is just fine for a few boxes a month. And its easier to experiment with loads.

When I quit the trap club. I sold the MEC and the Rem 1100 ‘s and barrels and  got a Lee and put the extra money into components ... Sticking with pump and old doubles now.  I have Made many of cases of shells with the Lee and it hasnt broke yet!
And I can use the Lee to make 2” shells ... kinda harder with the MEC.

Hope this helps
Prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:48:58 PM »

Offline Oldgold

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 02:38:11 PM »
I have two MECs and one Lee. There is no comparison.  While I like Lee dies, their shotshell load designers need to up their game.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 03:05:45 PM »
My Lee Loadall II has made fine BP shotshells for over 20 years.  But I only use it for BP.  Takes me around 30 minutes per box.  I have loaded a few smokeless just to try it, but I buy my smokeless shells.  If I was loading smokeless and needed to load more volume, I'd probably look to upgrade.

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 12:37:13 PM »
I currently have 4 MEC's.  Three 600 Jrs. one each for 12, 16 and 20.  I also picked up an 8567 a few years back.  Love the 600s Jrs.  they are pretty hard to beat.  Not so thrilled with the 8567 but production on it is great.  Not familiar wit the Loadall.  Can't speak to current MEC pricing, as my oldest is about 45 years old.  But they can be frequently be found online or in estate auctions for cheap.  Old MECs can be upgraded to use current bushings and charge bars.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 12:57:56 PM »
I’ll throw out that the old school reloading presses from Bair and Pacific which eventually evolved into Hornady are nice machines assuming they’re all there. The one on the left is a Pacific [12ga]while the identical one on the right is a Bair [20ga].
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Darto

• Top Active Citizen
  • Step right up the wooden board on the wall !
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2021, 01:53:35 AM »
If you are going to load the same load with the same components over and over again, the MEC is the way to go. Watch youtube videos to see how much faster the MEC loads a box.

But when changing to a different load using different brands and types of hulls or wads, or more or less powder and shot, the Lee sets up faster. In other words for me way faster to adjust the dies and settings to get a real good crimp with the Lee. A couple of pleasant minutes with the Lee vs. 20 minutes of hair pulling frustration with the MEC to get all the stations readjusted.

But once it's set right the MEC will keep on without tinkering for months or years if using the same load and components.

I suspect some of the other pards can adjust the MEC better and faster than I, for sure!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com