Author Topic: 10 Gauge SG Load  (Read 723 times)

Offline Tequila Shooter

• Active citizen
  • SASS #: 108079
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
10 Gauge SG Load
« on: December 06, 2020, 02:33:16 PM »
I’m currently loading 12ga brass SG shells with APP and old fashioned fiber wads.  Lot’s of folks said that they use plastic wads but I like the fiber wads.  Now I’m getting a new to me 10ga SxS, also with the gun he’s selling me brass shells and a nifty looking tool to prime/de-prime.  I’m planning on using real BP not APP, so I’m asking if anyone has a good load they’d like to share.  I don’t want a mouse fart, if I’m going to shoot a big bore I want a big roar ;D but at the same time I don’t want a load that kicks like a 3 year old mule.

Thanks

Offline Sloan Dodgy

• Soot Janitor
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: 10 Gauge SG Load
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 10:40:15 PM »
I used a 10 ga with BP for several years in Cowboy shooting, it was a hoot!  Typical 2-7/8" 10 ga shells back in the day were loaded with 1-/1/4 to 1-1/2 oz of shot and 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 drams of black.  I usually loaded 1-1/8 oz shot and a bit over 3 drams (90 grains) of FFg, basically a standard 12 gauge load, filling the space inside the cases with fiber wads.  You can certainly load more, but that much BP will definitely buck and roar plenty! 

Plastic wads with black powder make some of the most disgusting gunk you will ever see thoroughly stuck all through your barrels, ask me how I know...  :P

I used Federal plastic hulls before I had some turned brass ones made; the Federals would get holes burned through them with only one or two uses.  If you are using thin wall brass hulls like the Magtech ones you will need 9 gauge wads; those are available at Track of the Wolf.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com