Author Topic: Build yer own  (Read 2386 times)

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Build yer own
« on: February 17, 2019, 09:19:03 AM »
Hi Folks, Haven't been here for quite a while, but I still remember what a great resource this site is, so I can't think of a better place to ask this question.
I still have it in my head to find an 1873 Model Springfield Trapdoor. The issue I am finding is that the prices have gone completely out of this World, and we aren't talking really great quality either. I know I could buy a modern Pedersoli but I'm not nuts about purchasing a gun that looks like something for which I would be accosted by a 5yo demanding it back.

Now we all know there are nefarious guys who will try to build something and pass it off as something else. However, have any folks decided to build their own out of spare parts? I mean, if a person didn't  care about provenance,  but simply wanted to build a shooter out of the best quality parts to be found ...... well, are there folks who have done this.......successfully?  Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Build yer own
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 01:22:27 PM »
I built a Krag out of Ebay and gunbroker parts. Built to take advantage of a CMP barrel I stumbled across.  The only thing I needed a Smith for was the barrel installation.  Trapdoors have such forgiving headspace that I think it would be quite easy, if you can find the proper wood.  Ebay often has all the small parts needed.

HOWSUMEVER!  Have you tried Cabelas gun library.  I see several there reasonably priced, and all can be shipped direct to your door.

https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&Ntk=GunLibrary&Ntt=Trapdoor&x=14&y=12

And then come over to the Barracks and let us set you up real good!
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 01:30:02 PM »
This would be a nice starting point for a build yer own  https://www.ebay.com/itm/1884-Trapdoor-Springfield-reblued-original-complete-barrel/303057857700?hash=item468fa7eca4:g:SFYAAOSwHcdcYJ2I:rk:20:pf:0

The guy is basicly selling an entire rifle piece by piece.  But I think you'ld do better with one of the circa $850 rifles at Cabelas.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:07:07 PM »

Offline Bruce W Sims

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 02:37:23 PM »
OK, I give up! I can't handle all of the Peer Group Preasure!!!!  ::) ;D ::)

Went to Cabellas Firearm Library and cut out a really nice 1873 Springfield Trapdoor. The pics
Showed a nice piece and the description mentioned that the rifling was in very good condition.
May it please God that she'll be a good shooter. Its. Oming to a Bass Pro near me from South
Carolina and should be here in about a week or so.
My BP persona is a post-Civil War Frontier Scout to include a cross-draw Colt Dragoon (Model 3)
and some camp items. Now if I can just find some fuzzy-faced history bluffs who are as goofy as me.

BTW: Looks like I will be spending a bit more time with the roll-your-own crowd. I have Lymans
but nothing substitutes for personal  experience, right?

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Best Wishes,

Bruce

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 04:18:15 PM »
If you are going to load for Trapdoors, pick up Wolf's book, "Loading Cartridges for the Original 45-70 Springfield". It will save you a lot of experimenting. Also, get to know the folks over at trapdoorcollector.com. The best for info and parts! Have fun with your Springfield! 

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 06:59:13 PM »
https://4570products.info/Loading-Cartridges-for-Original-45-70-Springfield-1.htm

GET THIS BOOK!  YES DAMMIT, GET IT!  And come by the Barracks and introduce yerself.

(Hmmmm, clearly I don't know my own strength . . .)

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 03:10:17 PM »
Now if I can just find some fuzzy-faced history bluffs who are as goofy as me.

Well, I ain't currently fuzzy faced, but I probably do qualify as "as goofy as" you.  ::)

As Drydock said, make your way over to the Barracks and introduce yourself.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com