Author Topic: Confused - Possible stupid question re: BP cartridges  (Read 10261 times)

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Confused - Possible stupid question re: BP cartridges
« on: October 12, 2012, 10:32:21 PM »
Hi All,
Very much a noob regarding western/cowboy shooting, but I've bought a few Winchester/Colt replicas this summer to scratch a 'bucket list' item.

I've done a lot of research, perhaps too much and my brain is overloaded so let me ask the most pointed questions I can.

- I have purchased two new NM Uberti Cattleman revolvers in 44-40 and 45.  Is it perfectly fine to shoot BP rounds?
- In anticipation I box a few boxes of back powder 44-40 and 45Colt from Buffalo Arms - are there any issues using them in my NM Cattleman revolvers?

I also bought 3 Uberti rifles (66, 73, and 76).  Are there any concerns about shooting BA BP rounds in them?

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
Re: Confused - Possible stupid question re: BP cartridges
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 11:19:40 PM »
The calibers and the firearms you have just acquired were designed when the only propellant was black powder.  There should be no serious issues using BP in them.  Welcome to western action shooting.

I invite you to join us  on The Darksiders Den and the child board The Dark Arts
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 11:26:29 PM »
The calibers and the firearms you have just acquired were designed when the only propellant was black powder.  There should be no serious issues using BP in them.  Welcome to western action shooting.

I invite you to join us  on The Darksiders Den and the child board The Dark Arts

Thank you so much for that feedback.
I will definitely look into your invite to the Darksiders Den.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:56:18 AM »

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 05:38:42 AM »
Ya have ta be real CAREFULL shootin BP, It can be ADDICTIVE, the next thing ya know ya will be tryin ta get yer 9mm ta cycle with BP rounds.  :P  ::)  ;D WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 02:26:10 PM »
St Charles +1  I've shot BP in my 44-40 Cattlemen, '66, '73, and Henry for a number of years.  The only problem - and it's not really a problem - is getting the smile off my face when I'm done.

and

Wildman1 +1.  Once you shoot you new acquisitions with the real gunpowder, you'll be  hooked for sure

Welcome to the Darkside Hatman. 

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 06:02:34 PM »
That new fangled smokeless stuff is just a passing fad anyway :o

Come on over to the Dark Side. Check out the "Darksiders Den", and the sticky at the top, the "Dark Arts" Lots of good stuff there. DJ's photo illustration on bullet compression will help get you started. Good Luck :)

DJ's Photo Illustration

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 02:02:45 PM »
Take a look at Brimstone Pistoleros web site. Feel free to contact the folks there.  You'll travel far and wide to find better people...and have to settle for second best when you don't find any.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 05:25:14 PM »
Lots of good info on the darksiders den and its child board.

One of the big things about holy black is that the salts formed when fired are pretty corrosive.  Not so bad you should not shoot it, but bad enough you should clean your guns every time you shoot them.

Plenty of secret formulas out there for the best most fantastic guaranteed to clean your guns and increase your trucks gas mileage and make you able to leap over tall buildings in a single bound.  Having said that good old hot soapy water is hard to beat.  I bo, mine that way the gun parts heat up and dry real fast.  Remember those salts I told you about, well they are problematic because they are water soluable and actually absorb water (thats when they start corroding guns) well that is also why water works so good to clean up BP.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline The Swede

• Top Active Citizen
    • Lars Olsson Photography
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 04:39:43 PM »
I would agree with those who say it is addictive. Usually you only hear someone say heehaw when the shooter shots clean. I'm Yeehawin' ever time I pull the trigger.
Those smokeless shooters are jealous, but will never admit it publicly.

Swede

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 06:08:31 PM »
Don't believe them, all those boys are doing is pulling the wool over your eyes.  Shooting BP is boring and those there guns you got ain't no fun either.  Send them to me and I will put them out of their misery. ;D
Keep your powder dry & black
Shawnee
National Congress of Old West Shootists 3633
Single Action Shooting Society 88462
Society of Remington Revolver Shooters
The Sublyme and Holy Order of the Soot
"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question." - Yogi Berra

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 07:37:18 PM »
Hi All,
Very much a noob regarding western/cowboy shooting, but I've bought a few Winchester/Colt replicas this summer to scratch a 'bucket list' item.

I've done a lot of research, perhaps too much and my brain is overloaded so let me ask the most pointed questions I can.

- I have purchased two new NM Uberti Cattleman revolvers in 44-40 and 45.  Is it perfectly fine to shoot BP rounds?
- In anticipation I box a few boxes of back powder 44-40 and 45Colt from Buffalo Arms - are there any issues using them in my NM Cattleman revolvers?

I also bought 3 Uberti rifles (66, 73, and 76).  Are there any concerns about shooting BA BP rounds in them?

Check out the Brimstone Pistoleros webside too.  Put together by some of the greats in BP shooting.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com