CAS TOPICS > Gunsmithing

Removable Base Pin Bushing stuck. HELP!!!

(1/2) > >>

Virginia Gentleman:
I have a "US" finish Cimarron 4 3/4" SAA in .45 Colt that has a stuck base pin bushing and it won't budge even after trying to drive it out with a brass jag and brass hammer.  It goes forward a fraction of an inch and then is stuck.  Any ideas as I have even tried to loosen it up with Kroil to no avail.  HELP!

litl rooster:
I am having similuar problems with one of my Vaquero's... Maybe this will keep you bumped up

RRio:
Is Kroil a penetrating oil? If not, try pentrating oil and let it soak all night. Use a brass punch that is a little smaller diameter as the bushing. You might need an arbor press.

Once you do get it out, polish the OD of the bushing and the ID of the cylinder to a "SLIP FIT-NO SHAKE", and then keep it lubed.

Advertising:

St. George:
If it moves 'at all' - you're in better shape than most.

Soak it in Kroil or really any 'good' penetrating oil - but before you do - heat it a bit - using anything from a wide flame to hot water.
Then - oil it and wait.
Generally - I've found that really hot tap water works well and since you're oiling it - you don't have anything to worry about.

After a bit - using a punch that is the same diameter as the outside edge of the bushing as seen from the rear - give a sharp rap or two - from the rear.

It'll help to loosen and allow the oil to penetrate further.

It'll eventually come free with patience - so have some of that on hand.

Once it is - polish both mating surfaces and use a 'good' coating of grease - I use Pro-Shot's "Pro-Gold' - for both the inside of the cylinder and the cylinder pin itself.

Good Luck.

Scouts Out!

Virginia Gentleman:
Thanks guys, I am going to send the gun back to Cimarron to get new black hard rubber grips put on it and have a .45 ACP cylinder and bushing installed anyway, so they will fix it under warranty. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version