Author Topic: Advice to the New CAS Shooter  (Read 79265 times)

Offline dogill

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Advice to the New CAS Shooter
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2005, 08:59:18 AM »
Just getting interesting in checking out this cowboy shooting thang, I've researched a little and found a friendly looking club near me called the "Mississippi Peacemakers", but couldn't help notice the thread starters moniker, "FloraBama Kid".  For a guy who has visited the "Redneck Riviera" on a regular basis over the past 40 odd years, the "FloraBama" rings a notoriously significant bell.

What is the club name over there in the Bordertown, pard?  Website? Range location? Match dates?

Thanky much,
Deputy Dog
Dixie, MS

Offline LazyK Pejay

• Top Active Citizen
  • "I'm ordering you to volunteer again Sgt. Tyree...
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2005, 03:18:23 PM »
Do most people do shoot guns and rifles besides pistols. I just have my Uberti Cattleman for this. Thx.

LazyK Pejay

Offline Coop Trawlaine

• Come sit by the fire and I'll tell ya a story.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Author-Member Western Writers of America
    • Walt Lange Word Slinger
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2005, 07:37:18 PM »
Hi Fellas and Pretty Gals,

I joined SASS about six months ago,  one of the Postal Workers at my local post office and I got taliking and I mentioned that I write western novels and he suggested I check SASS out and invited me to come watch the next meet of The Hole in the Wall Gang.  I have been wearing western gear for decades now so a basic outfit was not too much a problem... I wore a black high crown Stetson (well used), banded collar chambray shirt, black jeans and a black leather vest.  I already owned one '51 Sheriff's Colt .36 B&C, a slick belt and a drop loop holster, and one of my many pair of boots, this pair very plain with rounded toe and riding heel.

Anyway I was a spectator for a couple of months and was enjoying just being there, finally one of the participants asked why I wasn't shooting and I mentioned that my now new '78 Remy's had never been shot and I didn't even know how to load them.  I have this hinkyness about BP loading, don't trust myself, yet.  So he said don't worry come next time and we will give you a pair of guns to use and free ammo.  No way I could refuse.   I was lent a pair of .38's that were like Colt Peacemakers with 4 1/2 in barrels and a '97 pump shotgun and .38 lever action, I never had so much fun in a month of sundays, I am hooked.

You will never participate in any sport that has nicer people than CAS, unlike other sports where it is almost a cardinal sin to touch another's gear, theses cowboys and cowgirls are down home friendly and always ready to lend a helping hand or revolver, rifle or shotgun, until you get settled in and get your own basic arsenal.
Coop Trawlaine SASS #63617, SCORRS, WartHog, SUDDS #188, IPSAC #47
Aka: Walt Lange
"Trawlaine" ISBN 1-4137-7738-4
"Trawlaine's Land" ISBN -09479379-0-8
Western Writers of America
Society of Southwestern Authors
www.waltlange.com

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 07:27:51 AM »

Offline Coop Trawlaine

• Come sit by the fire and I'll tell ya a story.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Author-Member Western Writers of America
    • Walt Lange Word Slinger
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2005, 08:16:27 PM »
A big OOPS!  I am afraid I will have to break my fingers just to teach them to write what I think....LOL
I meant '58 Remys.
Coop Trawlaine SASS #63617, SCORRS, WartHog, SUDDS #188, IPSAC #47
Aka: Walt Lange
"Trawlaine" ISBN 1-4137-7738-4
"Trawlaine's Land" ISBN -09479379-0-8
Western Writers of America
Society of Southwestern Authors
www.waltlange.com

Offline dangerranger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2005, 03:12:55 AM »
I started out in mounted shooting so 45 cal was a given. I already had one pistol and located a second on Auction arms.I had the western wear already in my closet.When I realised that my horses werent ment for mounted shooting, I made the change to SASS. I have several Double shotguns, but none that I wanted to shoot that much or make changes to. So I got a Russian sxs that is modified just for cas.I also got a marlin lever gun in 45. I went to my first match thinking that I had it all! Boy was I wrong.The leather that is best for mounted doesnt work well for SASS,I needed to add shotgun loops,And riding boots arent much fun to walk in. The one piece of advice that gets repeted over and over [ that I didnt listen too ] is Go to a couple of matches before you buy!
Life is a rush into the unknown, You can duck down real low and hope nothing hits you, Or stand up tall, show it your teeth,and say "Dish it up Baby and dont get stingy with the Peppers!!!"

Offline tarheel mac

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Number 69437 WARTHOG!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2005, 07:34:04 PM »
Yeah Coop..I hear them '78 Remmies are THE gun to have... ;D

I'm a newbie too, myself and still ain't got a SAS shotgun yet..thinking seriously about a '97 though...I saw a friend of mine, a lady who hangs around here some and calls herself "Fannie Kickinshoot" flat shucking some shells out of that thing at a match...Wasn't using the magazine either, just single loading it through the port..but man she was making thing work, and work fast...

But CAS folks are a fine bunch of people.  Go to a match or two and borrow guns to see what you like...as for as caliber, I suppose I should suggest .38s, (they're a LOT cheaper,) but I couldn't do it myself...the main point here is to get what you and what will be fun for you...same thing ith the rifle and the shotgun...don't worry about what someelse says, just get what appeals to you..the idea here is to have fun after all...

Offline Curly Red Ryder

• Active citizen
  • CAS-France life member #64 SASS life 83495
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 04:01:04 PM »
Howdy, I knew for CAS on a French related forum. Took my membership for French assy and went to a friendly match in a close by French club (about 150 km from home) Found vrey friendly pals and carry on shooting with them.
Attended the last French annual competition in September and was graduated to RO1. Just wait my SASS membership back to be ROed by SASS.
For my first match, went with my old Vaquero, a BP replica , a Chapparal M1873 rifle and an old double 12 ga. Was and still am a little slow (ca 60sec for an average stage) but enjoy the game and mostly enjoy to meet CAS friends on a regular schedule for monhtly club matches. We are a small group of CAS shooters in France (approx 80 memebers) but all very passionates a few for competition and most for the fun to "play cowboy" as we were doing when kids, already 4/5 ladies in the gang.
Was already reloading on .44 mag and .38sp before so naturally went to reload my new .44/40 caliber and found it was interesting as  "factory" .44/40 cartidges are expensive on this side of the great pound.
Cowboy dressing was not a probles as I use to ride western fashion since a long time so clothes are already there and to wear cowboys hats every day even before retiring even for going to my work in Paris. Only bought some old west clothes and new "period" hats from online shops, but cannot yet think to buy period boots as i've some problems for shoes fitting, so still wear  my ole cowboy boots I used to wear for riding.
Successful me! No I begin!

Offline Quachita

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 08:15:52 PM »
I watched the Outdoor Channel a lot and saw the Cowboy Action program. It looked like fun. I checked the internet and found a club that was fairly near, 90 miles away, went up and watched a match. Met some for the finest people I have ever known in shooting sports.  I was hooked without ever firing a shot.  I already owned a Marlin 1894 in .357 so that kind of made up my mind on the caliber of the Single Actions I wanted. I have always been a Ruger fan so I bought 2 New Vaquero's and a Stoger S/S.  I went to my first match a couple weeks later and had a blast. I have been going to the range and practicing about three times a week since then.  I have decided I either need to have the Marlin tuned or buy another rifle. I just don't know which I should do.  Anyway it is a great sport and even though I don't shoot that well and most likely will never be very fast I sure do have fun.

Offline Short Knife Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2009, 09:15:24 AM »
I too recently got involved this spring of 2009.  It's something I've wanted to do for the better part of 11 or 12 years.  There was an attempt made about 10 years ago in the area.  I went to the shoot, and kind of had the time of my life.  Trouble was, that most in attendance didn't want to go to the trouble of setting up stages, build stuff, blah, blah, blah.  I also didn't have the time or funds to really travel to shoots in Alberta or the States.  So it fell dormant until two years ago a group set up the Saskatchewan Association of Wild West Shooters.  At least I still had enough guns, except for a double that I had sold.  We've had some wonderful shoots, bent some of the equiptment rules to accommidate new shooters, and the lending of ammo and guns.  I 2 weeks, we will be hosting an inroduction to CAS in conjunction with the local gun show at the range.  The only downside is that the gun club I belong to prohibits the use of steel targets, so I've been busy making cardboard cutouts, and rounding up balloons.  So I'm hoping we can score some local guys and gals to join our cause.

Offline Garand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2013, 10:03:41 AM »
I get frustrated every time I see someone ask what they should buy. The only recommendation I feel you should give is, tell the shooter to download the SASS manual and tell them read it and to choose a category that they would be interested in, then go from there. While not all clubs are SASS affiliated, most pay lip service to the Shooters Manual.

Then in the future if you start shooting at an affiliated club you don't have to replace gear that won't fit in the category that you want to shoot with.
SASS # 93688
aka Dapper Dynamite Dick

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2013, 02:39:33 PM »
The best advice I know for new shooters is..........before you spend a dime on guns and gear STOP!! Start going to as many local matches as you can find, introduce yerself, offer to help out. Most of us are more than willing to let you try our gear, try before you buy. Call the local MD, most of them can have some different shooting irons lined up for you to shoot. Bring a belt large enough to hang two holsters on, try before you buy.  Don't worry too much about clothes to start for SASS, a pair of jeans, a long sleve shirt, and a pair of leather shoes or work boots is all you need. You can build on your costume from there. Good Luck  :)

#1 mistake by new shooters..................buying guns and gear before trying the different models ;)
#2 mistake by new shooters..................building a gun cart as big and heavy as a tank ;D

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2014, 12:53:41 PM »
You will never participate in any sport that has nicer people than CAS, unlike other sports where it is almost a cardinal sin to touch another's gear,

I shoot USPSA and FN rules 3-Gun, IDPA, bowling pin shoots, and CAS.  I have not hit a USPSA pistol only shoot, so I can't speak to those.  I will say the folks I shoot with in all of those disciplines are friendly, happy to help a newb, and are just good folks. 

Offline JeffinTD

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2015, 08:23:21 PM »
Hey.

I'm looking at getting into this sport, or at least gathering the equipment, so hopefully it would be OK for me to post questions here on this thread?

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2015, 06:39:13 AM »
Not a problem. Some of the best advice you will get would be from attending an actual match and talking to the pards that are shooting. Try some of the equipment, most of the shooters will encourage you to try a stage or two. Find out what is best or at least what you prefer. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline JeffinTD

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2015, 10:01:43 PM »
Thanks. 

A bit about myself- bumbled into a match down by Yuma recently and it looks something I could really enjoy.  Right now though I rarely have weekends off, but might be able to make a match once in a while.  Mainly I thought it would be nice to have the equipment, even if only to plink with until I retire.

I'm mostly looking for fun, and have no delusions of being competitive at a high level, or of being overly authentic.

Anyhoo, the only lever gun I've ever owned is a 45-70 guide gun.  A couple of super black hawks are the only single actions I've had.

I already reload and cast bullets, but mainly cast bullets back when lead was cheap, and I had extra time and very little extra money (mostly reversed today).

I've decided to run 38/357 for the reduced cost, and lower recoil (used to shoot hot 44 mag and 45-70 handgun loads all the time, but getting much more recoil sensitive).

I went ahead and ordered a Winchester 1973 in 24" Octagon barrel.  I know, the short rifle would likely be faster, but I just like the octagon rifle...  Hopefully that's a valid reason to get it?  Not sure if I should do a spring kit, or stroke it (is there a kit for it?).

Shotgun wise, I was thinking of getting one of the 1887 Winchester clones, even though I know I'd probably be faster with a double.

Tonight I ran into a used Stoeger that I couldn't tell has ever been fired, so it followed me home...

That leaves handguns.  I thought I'd decided on the SASS Vaqueros in 357, as I like my Black Hawks, but I got to handle one of the Taylors with their trigger job, which un-made up my mind.

Bottom line:  Should I plan on modifying the Winchester, or would it likely be good enough out of the box.  Any thoughts on PW87 or Cimarron 1887?  (Stupid to get one now that I have a double?), and any thoughts on Vaquero vs Taylor?

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2015, 05:01:43 AM »
Short stroke kit-Pioneer Gun Works.  Rugers are built the best.  If you buy an '87 Chiappa is the best one to buy. wM1
ps If you were in Yuma at the TPBO we may have crossed paths. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline JeffinTD

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2015, 07:10:39 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I think you are right, I  should stick with Rugers.  They are tough, and I"m familiar with them.

I saw Pioneer makes short stroke kits for the Uberti 73's but wasn't sure if those would also fit in the Winchester branded guns?

Thanks for the tip on the 87.  Kinda figured the China version might not be money well spent, even if they are 1/4 the price of the Chiappa.

Offline Isbjorn

• Very Active Citizen
  • I promise I won't laugh at your mule.
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2017, 04:03:40 PM »
Is there an organization that allows faux ivory, buffalo horn, etc pistol grips? After all, there was no faux stuff in "those days".
I'm not being punky, I really want to know, given the response to a previous question in another forum. What about rubber heel pads on otherwise leather heels?
The REAL code of the West:
Do unto others before others do it unto you.
WH#3

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2017, 05:00:12 PM »
NCOWS allows faux ivory, buffalo horn, faux stag, faux hard rubber if correct for the model of pistol, faux pearl, wood, etc. Heck, even throw a Tiffany silver grip on it if you can afford the modification.

If you have after-market rubber heel pads installed, all they ask is to slip a leather butt stock cover over it to disguise the modern addition.

If using an approved firearm that had such embellishments in the period, no problem whatsoever.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2017, 10:53:44 PM »
SASS allows all those grip materials.  If you are asking about rubber heal pads on boot or shoe heels, smooth rubber pads are allowed in all categories.

SR
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com