Author Topic: Eye Pro...  (Read 11780 times)

Offline Lewie Girardeau

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Eye Pro...
« on: November 21, 2011, 08:41:51 PM »

HIYA everyone....

What is the trend....  Real eye protection or period PRESCRRIPTION eyeglases, with polycarbonate lenses???

I need to know before I spend the money on eyeglases for matches...

LEWIE

Offline Ima Sure Shot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Eye Pro...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 10:42:28 PM »
I have seen all types of solutions to this problem. IMHO the best is to just "bite the bullet" and have saftey glasses with side shields you may remove ground for your eyes. Goggles over regular will work, however goggles will fog depending on the weather.

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 11:01:42 AM »
Real eye protection.  Period lenses don't offer enough coverage for real protection.  We were shooting at a Texas star one day and a good size, triangular shaped piece of lead bounced back and hit me right in the end of my nose.  I bled like a stuck pig and it stayed sore forever.  At first there was a bruise around where the lead hit but then a month later there was still a dark spot there and it was still sore to the touch.  That's when I finally started poking around in there and dug out the piece of lead.

Point is had my eyes not been protected it could just as easily have hit me there.  Wear those safety glasses and make sure they cover from the side too.  :)
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:30:44 PM »

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 04:57:41 PM »
I agree with Miz Camille. We can always buy more guns, more riggin' and toys of all kinds. Our two eyes are too precious to cut corners on. And, bits of lead to fly about and while it might not be lethal, it could cause some eye injuries.

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 07:08:35 PM »
Don't screw around when it comes to eye protection.

I bought an off the shelf pair of B&L shooting glasses and had a set of yellow tinted prescription lenses made for them. I love them.

Offline Modoc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Editor, Shasta Regulators State of Jefferson
    • Shasta Regulators
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 12:59:20 AM »
Again, real eye protection.  I am wearing bicycle racing/shooting glasses almost exclusively now.  Rudy Project, Decoit, Wylie X, and Revision Eye Wear all make good glasses in a variety of styles and colors.  I am using the Rudy Project Rydons wit a prescription insert behind the main lense.

Buy the best that you can get. Eye surgery s#*¥%
Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

Offline Two-Step

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 08:10:40 PM »
I recommend wearing contact lenses and quality shooting glasses. I do not necessarily recommend "low profile" closed face tactical goggles as they do tend to fog... even the so called "anti fog".

Protective eye wear was a very large part of my life as I was heavily involved in tactical simulations, where there was ALWAYS a threat of direct impact eye injury. Goggles over glasses always presented a problem for me, but was one of the few options available to me while wearing glasses. Prescription safety glasses are slightly better than goggles over glasses, but they are rather expensive and can get damaged just as easily as your normal glasses unless you happen to get military grade tactical prescription glasses... VERY EXPENSIVE !!!

I still wear contacts every day and when I go shooting I simply put my shooting glasses on. My shooting glasses are polarized and double as my fishing and general driving glasses... and they only cost about $15.00
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote. -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Tall Dark Slim

• Talkative and generally full of it, but harmless nonetheless.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Carolina Gunslinger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 08:42:36 PM »
I recently switched eye pro from high speed wrap arounds to hideous heavy duty safety glasses with flip up darkened lenses that are green but kill sun glare. At first I really didn't like them because they cut down on peripheral vision. The super duper side shields require me to look around more, but they are helping my focus and moving me up the score sheet. So....rock on old school safety glasses! I'll be the guy that looks like a dork or Ray Charles....depending on how bright it is. 

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 11:53:07 PM »
I wear prescription glasses so Polarized Fit Overs are what I use for CAS and Fishing.  They have side protection very critical to keep splatter out of your eyes.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Karl

• Very Active Citizen
  • Juneau Gold Miners' Posse
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 06:03:04 PM »
Eye protection in CAS has gotten to be a pet peeve of mine.  I have seen some wonderful outfits ruined by modern safety glasses.  As a pilot I am too protective of my eyes to just wear glasses (not that I have seen people wearing questionable eye protection  ::)

I found that Wilson has been making safety glasses since about the Civil War in a wide variety of designs like: 

These can sometimes be found on Ebay and a competent licensed optician should be able to change the lenses to modern prescriptions for pretty fair prices. 
-Karl  SASS #1772 "Max Degen"

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 10:40:48 AM »
Again, real eye protection.  I am wearing bicycle racing/shooting glasses almost exclusively now.  Rudy Project, Decoit, Wylie X, and Revision Eye Wear all make good glasses in a variety of styles and colors.  I am using the Rudy Project Rydons wit a prescription insert behind the main lense.

Buy the best that you can get. Eye surgery s#*¥%

I will not compromise safety for authenticity. 

I used Wiley X for years and recently started using Rudy Project.  The RP glasses are a superior product.  Much lighter and fits a shooters face much better (no cheek rub while shouldering a long arm).

Rudy Project has a "secret discount site" for competition shooters.

https://www.e-rudy.com/en/vip/login 

the code is "PISTOL"

I use the Raydon II with a prescription lens.  That code saved me about $100.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 05:23:59 PM »
down side is they only do single vision for now.  Sucks to have old eyes
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Lead Waster

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 02:47:48 PM »
down side is they only do single vision for now.  Sucks to have old eyes

I bought a pair of "ESS SUPRESSOR" wrap arounds. There is a prescription insert, which the company can fill via an optometrist that they use. I asked my own optometrist and she said the price was about the same. However, I'm sure that, since your optometrist can grind the lnsert lens, you can probably grind them how you want.

HOWEVER, I find the goggles/glasses with the insert to be a bit front heavy. They come with a strap, but with ear-muffs, the strap bugs me. For CAS, I'm not sure, since nobody wears ear muffs for CAS because of the hat.

Another hideous option that I've used is wearing my normal eye-glasses and using a horribly ugly pair of "blue blocker" over-the-glasses yellow goggles, that I permanently borrowed from my Dad. They are ugly, but they fit nice over glasses and cover the sides well.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 06:12:14 PM »
Good protection and passing looks
when planets align...do the deal !