Author Topic: 1861 Springfield .58Cal musket revisited  (Read 3782 times)

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1861 Springfield .58Cal musket revisited
« on: December 29, 2009, 09:29:55 AM »
A pard got himself a .58springfield ,,Pedersoli...rifled musket,,and is in a delima about what size mini bulllet to shoot in it. There are a couple of different sizes,,skirted, and 'heavy' skirted,,solid base,,etc,,and he wanted me to see if you fellas had some expertise you would share on bullet selection as he gets started learning his rifle/musket.

He is worried more about a 'too small' bullet moving forward off the powder charge right now.

Thank you

MD

Offline Joe Lansing

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 1861 Springfield .58Cal musket revisited
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 08:38:37 PM »
    The 2008 Dixie Gun Works catalog recommends a .575 minnie for the Pedersoli 1861 Springfield rifle musket.

J.L.

Offline Arizona Trooper

• Top Active Citizen
    • Civil War Guns
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 10:08:45 PM »
What is he planning to do with it? For plinking out to 100 yards, I'd suggest the Hogden mini. I believe RCBS sells the mold as the N-SSA bullet. It weighs ~420 grains and is very accurate. The ballistic coefficient is rather low, so it starts dropping fast past 100 yards. For longer ranges, it's hard to beat the Lyman New Style Mini (which is an N-SSA adaptation of the Harpers Ferry designed "Old Style") A very good shooting bullet is the Bridesburg Armory Wilkinson. That is a flat based bullet with wedge shaped grease groves. It expands by collapsing the grooves. It shoots very clean and is very accurate, but needs to fit the bore pretty closely, so you really need to know the bore diameter of your musket. All of these need to be cast in pure, soft lead to shoot well.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:42:06 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com