Author Topic: Vintage Hunting and NCOWS  (Read 400982 times)

Offline Big Goose

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Vintage Hunting and NCOWS
« Reply #680 on: November 03, 2020, 06:39:50 PM »
BRS,
 Thanks, and-
    Yep-- I had a dickens of a time trying to squeeze down the 44 Special brass, the bases were quite a bit tight no matter what-- - I suppose BA has some big hydraulic press to form them, but they are exactly .444 from base to mouth. Its a pretty straight forward loading process if you're used to heeled boolets( I have a cartridge conversion of a Rogers and Spencer revolver, use 44 Russian brass and heeled boolet-- shoots great! with a .454  230 grain heeled boolet}..
 fun stuff!
BG

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #681 on: November 03, 2020, 08:19:36 PM »
Man those are some tiny bullets. Still cant believe people killed bears aqnd buffalo with those.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #682 on: November 03, 2020, 09:25:26 PM »
This is SO cool, Big Goose! THANK YOU for giving us the vicarious enjoyment! (Sorry for all of the exclamation points, but I can't help myself!  It's just too exciting!)
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Advertising

« Reply #683 on: Today at 09:29:00 AM »

Offline Big Goose

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #683 on: November 05, 2020, 07:48:51 AM »
Thanks fellers,
 I dont often get much computer time for posting stuff, so its nice to share when I can. I know that I surely do enjoy everybody's pics and posts...
  Yep, they are tiny cartridges, especially compared to most modern sporting rounds, and yet I know lots of avid handgun hunters that are totally successful with similar ballistics.
I saw the question about hand gunning for black bears on another forum and totally agree with this answer:

Oldtime black bear hunters say that any load that throws at least a 200-grain or bigger solid bullet at 1000 fps or more will take any bear in the woods. By that standard a good heavy-power . 44 Special or . 45 Colt handload in the right gun should work fine and has.
  So I figure the 210 grain boolet at 1100fps, is at least as effective....
 As for buffalo... even though William F. Cody considered the Henry, as well as the "improved Winchester 44 CF(1873)" as "pop guns" for buffalo, compared to the Spencer and especially his 2nd Allin model Springfield 50-70, the diminutive Henry round can get the job done.  Not recommended for the novice ....  here's a pic of my son Colton about this time last year. The 44 HCF boolet penetrated the thick hide, broke a rib, and punched a finger size hole through the heart and both lungs and was wedged between the ribs on the off side.
 Again, not a recommendation as a buffalo gun, but if'n its all you had-  just aim carefully...
BG 

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #684 on: November 05, 2020, 08:23:59 AM »

:)  Big Goose   ;)

How absolutely totally MARVELOUS!!  I posted to your thread on one of our other forums, but . . . . I am a huge fan of Brass Rifles.  I have more Reproduction Henry and 1866 rifles than I know what to do with and am just fine with that.

So few Central Fire 1866s came back into this country, I think you could count them and not run out of fingers.  So it is absolutely marvelous to see one and to see it in actual use.  I have been tempted in the past to do a Central Fire conversion on an original Henry, but the price of a donor is just too high. 

Fantastic you have been able to make ammunition for yours and make it work.  GOOD JOB!!  And many thanks for posting your 1866 here.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #685 on: November 05, 2020, 08:57:03 AM »
The 44 HCF boolet penetrated the thick hide, broke a rib, and punched a finger size hole through the heart and both lungs and was wedged between the ribs on the off side.

Holy guacamole! That is amazing.

Dave

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #686 on: November 05, 2020, 10:37:21 AM »
That is amazing! I just love that image!

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #687 on: April 03, 2021, 11:52:35 AM »
Howdy
Big Goose thanks for the awesome pictures . Turkey season is almost here . Who's planning on Hunting .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #688 on: April 25, 2021, 02:59:39 PM »
Howdy
Got a nice Tom this morning . Was using a 1887 shotgun that I had Tubed last year . The short barreled gun worked great hope I can tag out with  it this Spring season .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com