Author Topic: Need advice about reloading  (Read 5250 times)

Offline Regret Chancy

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS 3304, SASS 79990
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need advice about reloading
« on: September 03, 2009, 10:45:11 AM »
With the price on ammo going up, up, up, and up still more, I would like to get started reloading. I am a pack rat anyways so I have a pillow case plum full of once shot brass (lucky for me). I dont know what things I need to reload ammo that is consistent in performance. I will be reloading 45 (long) Colt, 44 Russian, 45/70 Govt, and 45/60 Winchester. If I can get a list (recommendations) of the tools and items needed to do this safely and efficiently and a coach or mentor who can put up with my questions, I would be much more comfortable getting started. I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks for any and all assistance, Regret Chancy
e-mail voodooky@windstream.net
P.S. At a later time I may also try to do the 56/50 Spencer ammo also. ??? :)
"Aint nothing better than riding a fine horse into new country"

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
Re: Need advice about reloading
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 01:49:47 PM »
Sent ya a PM.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 07:58:52 PM »
Howdy

First, before you buy anything, buy a good reloading manual and read it. A lot of your questions will be answered off the bat. I recommend the Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook, but there are plenty of other good manuals out there too. Speer, Lee, and the regular Lyman manual come to mind. Each of these has a section detailing the process of reloading, that's what you need to read to begin to get familiar with reloading. Do this before you spend any money at all on equipment.

And don't be surprised when you find out that primers are currently just as difficult to obtain as loaded ammo.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:37:38 AM »

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 09:27:37 PM »
Three things.
First, get someone local to help you start out. Hands on training is always best.
Second, don't expect to recoup your money over night. You'll spend as much for reloading gear as you would for a new gun. Consider it a longer term investment.
Last be carefull and ask questions, ignorance is easily cured.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Singing Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 11:44:24 AM »
What they said above.  Also, get at least 2 reloading manuals.  Most times, data differ from one manual to another.  I have 4 and all have differing minimum and max charges.  This will leave you more options and still be within safe, published specs.  :)

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 11:51:23 AM »
The primer situation has kept me off the bench fer awhile.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 02:13:44 PM »
Leo
I had the same problem.  Had 1000 primers on back order from Cabelas for about three months.  Then managed to get 1000 through one of the guys in our CAS club.  Saved me the shipping and hazmat fee.  Now I‘ve got enough loaded to shoot our annual three day match next weekend!
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 03:22:51 PM »
Well be sure ta send that guy a Christmas card this year.  Around here it's like goin up ta the counter an askin fer a box of hen's teeth.

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 05:34:38 PM »
I bought a Beretta 380 this week and can't find any ammo for it. Cabela's has all it's 380 on back order. However I did find some cowboy loads 45/70 for my Springfield Trapdoor that should be here next week.  I'm also in the market for some 30/40 Krag ammo and some ammo for my 1917 Eddystone.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 08:15:31 PM »
I can't find 30-30 around here. 
Nothin could suck more than buyin yerself a new gun an then findin out ya can't get nothin ta put in it.

Roland Deschain

Offline Cactus Rope

• Cactus Rope
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 08:57:03 PM »
+10 on all the above.

I started reloading about a year ago. Learned a lot from my brother. Also I have Hornady's Handbook of Cartridge Reloading, has a lot of good info. I would also go to Hodgdon Powders site, they have load info for just about every cartridge and you can download this info. www.hodgdon.com, look for their reloading data center.

Good luck and especially be SAFE.
NRA * GAF * NCOWS *

"Every oncet in a while, you have to step in it to learn the lesson."

Offline Professor Honeyfuggler

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 11:39:17 PM »
I would also go to Hodgdon Powders site, they have load info for just about every cartridge and you can download this info. www.hodgdon.com, look for their reloading data center.

Yes, I use the Hodgdon's site and find it very useful.

Also the primer shortage seems to be easing a bit. Maybe the hoarders finally maxed out. I've actually found the primers I use in stock at three different stores recently, one of them being Cabela's. And several online sites that had multi-month backorders are now down to a couple of weeks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com