Author Topic: 1883 Springfield Cadet Rifle  (Read 4583 times)

Offline Dai.S.Loe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1883 Springfield Cadet Rifle
« on: August 22, 2009, 08:41:50 PM »
My tenaciousness has paid off again.

In 3 weeks time a mate arrives from the UK with my new "old" rifle.

A genuine 1883 Springfield cadet Rifle.

I know a lot of these have been faked but my friend has sent me lots of photos of this rifle showing all the markings he can find as wellas lots of closeups of the various parts.

Using the books at my disposal and the internet. I have been able to verify that thjis is the real thing.

Condition looks good and it is in use as a target shooter, in the UK. My mate claims to have rung steel at 500 nyards with this rifle.

So now I have or will have in my possesion an 1861 Ballard Carbine, an 1874 Snider Carbine in .577, a rebuilt Rolling Block, and finally a Trapdoor in 45-70.

My collection is growing steadily.

The "Darkside" means never having to see the targets you miss.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: 1883 Springfield Cadet Rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 09:05:39 PM »
Good deal pard, glad to see you back.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 09:08:22 PM »
That's great!  Do you have a hard time bringing firearms into New Zealand?  A couple of friends are planning on going to a SASS shoot in New Zealand, but said getting their guns into New Zealand looks like it is going to be difficult.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:30:46 PM »

Offline Dai.S.Loe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 09:33:01 PM »
That's great!  Do you have a hard time bringing firearms into New Zealand?  A couple of friends are planning on going to a SASS shoot in New Zealand, but said getting their guns into New Zealand looks like it is going to be difficult.

All my mate has to do is bring the rifle and his licence with him. At the Auckland Airport he visits the police there and fills in the form for a Visitors licence ($25 NZ) valid for 1 year and he can bring the rifle in.

Check out their site. http://www.police.govt.nz/service/firearms/importing.html

As long as the firearms are on the approved list( again on the police website) then there will be no problem

Offline Dai.S.Loe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 07:18:25 PM »
It has arrived and it is all I hoped it would be.

Sat down with a magnifying glass and a book on the Springfield rifle .

All the marking are correct. The woodwork is immaculate and fits like it was made for the rifle. No big gaps on the metal finish. Blueing shows wear but the bore is perfect.

Made in 1883. Original sights front and back. trapdoor locks down lovely and tightly. Releases easily. Trigger pull is a little heavy but crisp.

Making up some 45-70 rounds tonight. Will test shoot it out the back.

Taking it deer hunting on Thursday. Either Red Deer or wild boar, both live in the area I am going to.

I am over the moon with this rifle.

Cant wait to learn how to use the sights properly andf compete in our so called long range shoots here ( up to 350 yards)

My mate who brought it over from the UK told me he has shot it at Bisley and it has been consistantly ringing metal at 500 yards.

That will do me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com