Author Topic: looking for loading info.  (Read 2788 times)

Offline papahoss

• Active citizen
  • Papa Hoss & Cowgirl Allie
    • myPalomino.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
looking for loading info.
« on: June 29, 2007, 05:18:05 PM »
I've been to lyman's reloading manual, Hodgdon powder company data base and others, but can find no information for:
1 I want to load some 45lc 170 grain Royal lrnfp using Trail Boss powder I can find 160 and 180 bullets and the info for each but nothing for 170. ( if the aol for 160 is 1.500 and the low end powder is 6.0 grs/ and the aol for 180 is 1.540 and the low end powder charge is 6.0) this is what is listed at Hodgdon for each of these. Can I then plan to hold the aol at 1.520 and the low end charge of Trail Boss at 6.5.  (45 loads are for both my rifle and pistols)

2. I also want to load 38 special for my wife's guns royal bullets again using 105 gr tc I know the Trail Boss charge should be 3.0 grns, but again I have no information for the aol. (38 loads are for pistol only)

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: looking for loading info.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 11:08:32 AM »
I've been to lyman's reloading manual, Hodgdon powder company data base and others, but can find no information for:
1 I want to load some 45lc 170 grain Royal lrnfp using Trail Boss powder I can find 160 and 180 bullets and the info for each but nothing for 170. ( if the aol for 160 is 1.500 and the low end powder is 6.0 grs/ and the aol for 180 is 1.540 and the low end powder charge is 6.0) this is what is listed at Hodgdon for each of these. Can I then plan to hold the aol at 1.520 and the low end charge of Trail Boss at 6.5.  (45 loads are for both my rifle and pistols)

2. I also want to load 38 special for my wife's guns royal bullets again using 105 gr tc I know the Trail Boss charge should be 3.0 grns, but again I have no information for the aol. (38 loads are for pistol only)

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Howdy, Pard,

Are you using a chronograph? It would help just to see what is the most consistant load, but isn't necessary.  I would start at 6.3 gr with the 170 gr bullet and work up from there.  Do not exceed the maximum recommended load for the 180 gr.

As to the OAL (overall length), it depends on how deep you are going to seat the bullets.  Most loading data is worked up for seating to the crimp groove, if there is one, or behind the front driving band, if there isn't one (so long as the round will chamber). Stay with the listed data as much as possible.  Use a firm roll crimp to give the powder a chance to build up to stable combustion pressures.  This applies to all calibers!

Hope this helps!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com