Author Topic: Beretta Laramie 45 Colt  (Read 4967 times)

Offline Bangor Dan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Beretta Laramie 45 Colt
« on: January 26, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
I had a great time with a couple of tables at the local gun show this weekend, and put my hard earned $$s into a NIB nickeled Laramie with a 5" barrel. Wow is it pretty!
My observations:

-I've found that this one WILL accept Schofield brass :D :D :D....at least a cylinder full of loaded cartridges closes fully and seems to rotate easily.

-The sliding (adjustable) part in the rear sight slides way too easily, but I don't have a gunsmithing screwdriver bit that fits such a small screw. Any suggestions where to obtain such a bit?

I'm also fortunate to own several Uberti Schofields and one Uberti Russian, but this Laramie is easily the most user friendly of the bunch as far as my being able to access the hammer spur.  It's better than the Schofield, and way better than the Russian. I can see it as the strong side mate to one of the other three in a crossdraw setup.

Bangor Dan

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Beretta Laramie 45 Colt
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 11:46:44 PM »

-The sliding (adjustable) part in the rear sight slides way too easily, but I don't have a gunsmithing screwdriver bit that fits such a small screw. Any suggestions where to obtain such a bit?

Sears.  Normally, you would want a hollow ground screwdriver for a gun screw.  However, for the small sight screw a jewelers screwdriver will do and you can get them individually at Sears.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 02:07:17 PM »
I had a great time with a couple of tables at the local gun show this weekend, and put my hard earned $$s into a NIB nickeled Laramie with a 5" barrel. Wow is it pretty!
My observations:

-I've found that this one WILL accept Schofield brass :D :D :D....at least a cylinder full of loaded cartridges closes fully and seems to rotate easily.

I'm also fortunate to own several Uberti Schofields and one Uberti Russian, but this Laramie is easily the most user friendly of the bunch as far as my being able to access the hammer spur.  It's better than the Schofield, and way better than the Russian. I can see it as the strong side mate to one of the other three in a crossdraw setup.

Bangor Dan

Howdy, Pards,
Some Laramies will take the Schofield brass; mine won't!  >:(  Why they didn't just make them all loose enough for the worst-case Starline brass, I can't fathom.  Mine will work fine with the .45 Cowboy Special brass from Adirondak Jack. 

That "adjustable" sight was a big mistake, IMHO!  I bought a space latch, and since my gun shoots about +8" at 25 yds, I'm going to have a fixed sight constructed, and the gun worked over by a 'smith.  Not much hurry, though, until my kneecap heals.

It is interesting... the original S&W New Model #3 has a rebounding hammer, which makes it almost the only widely produced single action revolver that was "safe" to carry with all six chambers loaded! NOTE: THE TARGET MODEL NM#3's DID NOT HAVE THE REBOUNDING HAMMER!

Ride easy, Pards,
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:02:48 PM »

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 02:55:23 PM »

Gotta say, I've had Schofields, still have a Russian and a pair of Laramies.

I'm with Bangor Dan. The Laramies are top-notch in my book and have become my first-choice revolvers.
The grip, the balance and the overall feel are "the boss" to use a period phrase.

I haven't had the sighting problems some have reported. I have had to file down the rear sight to varying degrees on them to get a good POA/POI at CAS distances, but they're zeroed in very well now.

I'm primarily shooting a 6.5" nickeled .45 and using a blued 5" .45 when I need a second pistol.

Wouldn't trade the 6.5 inch-er for two of anything else.

JMHO.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 05:37:09 PM »
I bought a .45 Laramie from Irish Dave, and it is one of my favorites!  It needed a little bit of massaging of the forcing cone (non existent) and the muzzle crown (crooked), but it is a shootin' machine!  I recently ran 25 rounds of Goex-powered BP Schofield loads through it without a hitch.  I was trying to bind it up with BP fouling, but it just kept running.  After I cast some more bullets, I am going to keep shooting her until she chokes.   :P  All in all, I wouldn't mind having another one in nickle.
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com