Author Topic: Here kitty kitty kitty (Krag story)  (Read 9444 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Here kitty kitty kitty (Krag story)
« on: November 19, 2009, 09:36:45 AM »
I was setting on the floor in my study, practicing a seated long range rifle postition I saw in an 1898 SAW atlas I had just recieved off ebay.  Had the ladder on my 1901 sight up.  Got up to answer the phone, left the Krag leaning against a bookcase.  Out of the corner of my eye, see my half grown kitten suddenly leap up, trying to climb the sling!  Before I can take a step, the rifle comes crashing down, missing the cat (Unfortunatly) and of course landing on the still up sight ladder, snapping it off . . .

Ever try to bayonet a cat?
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Here kitty kitty kitty (Krag story)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 09:42:59 AM »
Drydock, I wish you luck in finding a replacement sight for the Krag. I'm sorry for your loss!  Them cats will try to climb about anything.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 09:50:20 AM »

I bayoneted a snake once. Well actually, I used a yard stick, but my kids said it looked like I was doing bayonet drill. Cat's make good targets. We (actually I) named ours T1, T2, T3....(Target 1, Target 2...)
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:22:09 AM »

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 11:44:40 AM »
I was setting on the floor in my study, practicing a seated long range rifle postition I saw in an 1898 SAW atlas I had just recieved off ebay.  Had the ladder on my 1901 sight up.  Got up to answer the phone, left the Krag leaning against a bookcase.  Out of the corner of my eye, see my half grown kitten suddenly leap up, trying to climb the sling!  Before I can take a step, the rifle comes crashing down, missing the cat (Unfortunatly) and of course landing on the still up sight ladder, snapping it off . . .

Drydock, I can feel your anger, let this be a lesson learned, I learned a long time ago to never  leave anything out or unattended that's of value when you have young children or animals around, there curiosity, is just too great, in fact my daughters cat is sitting on my mouse right now, I had to write this last sentence twice because of her, my daughters little girl friend when she was eleven years old asked if she could use my camcorder to take a picture of myself and the rest of the kids, so what happened, you guessed it she dropped it, $1700.00 DOWN THE DRAIN, I haven't owned another one since.

Good luck with getting the sight fixed

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 04:46:03 PM »
Oh, a frantic internet search turned up a partial 1901 with the parts I need for $65.  Got lucky, but its getting to be an expensive free kitten . . . :P
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Capt. Montgomery Little

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 05:49:08 PM »
Drydock,  The only suitable picture of any cat/kitten/kitty/ #&%*@$ is in a round frame with a horizontal and vertical line through it. My favorite longrange target has Garfield in this situation. An absolutely lovely sight.

Note: Those figures behind the word kitty above are not indicative of profanity. That is how we Pentecostals say "feline".

Bvt LTC Montgomery Little, Senior Chaplain, GAF

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 06:00:34 PM »
Neighbor down by our farm had a B&W barn cat for a while with a target markings on the side.  Don't know what happened to it but it wasn't me.

I am one of the few who have ever likely done ballistic studies on feral cats. (They are hell (sorry Capt) heck on my quail.  Even wrote it up as to the ideal cat gun and sent it off to several outdoor mags who are too much of a ninny to buy it.   ;D

Any shotgun with #4 or larger is real good on moving target, I have a dozen 1 oz 28 ga in the drawer at the farm with 50 (1 oz) copper BB size in them.  As for rifle, most times 200 yards is as far I I will get a shot, 22 Hornet is a great choice, humand, reaches out much further than a 22 LR yet won't wake up the whole dang camp with a start when the prowling cook sees one at 3 am.

The perfect gun would be one of those Savages with a 20 gauge barrel on bottom and a 22 Hornet on top.  ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 06:58:55 PM »
That would be a good combo.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 07:10:04 PM »
Could have been worse, you could have had a "krag mishap" like the one Charles is working on.

Ltc Little: I guess that Garfield target works, maybe I'll try one like that for my 211 yard practice range I'm planning.......

Del: I did some similar research once when a renter left behind a whole herd of semi-wild cats. At even really close range, .22 shotshells are marginal, unless the shot is centered in a vital area. But at least they don't do much damage or cause a lot of ricochets around the house and outbuildings.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 07:15:58 PM »
PE, for them situations a good air rifle and a just below the ear shot at close range works good.  However a number nine 3/4 oz skeet load in a 28 gauge will do enough damage at 30 yards to move in closer for a better shot.  Found that big yellow tom stalkin' my quail.  Might have been Garfield, it was big enough.  Don't mess with my quail. >:(
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 08:36:57 PM »
Oh, yes, cat stories...!

A childhood friend's father used to tell us stories of growing up in the 1950's rural western Nebraska (isn't that redundant?).  One day he and his brother were hired by a widow woman to clear out some feral cats living under her trailerhouse  The two boys blocked off all the openings around the skirting except for one about a foot square.  Then, one boy would take a long bamboo pole, stick it under the edge of the skirting, and thrash it around to stir up the cats and make them run for the only exit.  The other brother was there, ready and waiting with a #2 Wood driver...
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 09:43:20 PM »
Oh, a frantic internet search turned up a partial 1901 with the parts I need for $65.  Got lucky...........

Hold on there Shipmate, check your mail!

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 06:09:20 AM »
I feel your pain, Drydock!  I'm glad you found a replacement.  I just picked up a nice S & W Safety Hammerless and immediatley discovered the firing pin is broken.  Ah, the joy of old guns!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 08:57:10 AM »
That's the irony!

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 11:52:37 AM »
I feel your pain, Drydock!  I'm glad you found a replacement.  I just picked up a nice S & W Safety Hammerless and immediatley discovered the firing pin is broken.  Ah, the joy of old guns!
By reputation, Capt. Niederlander, if your guns weren't broken when you got it, thet soon will be. ;)  ;D ;D ;D
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2009, 12:03:22 PM »
Capt. Neiderlander, I wish you good luck on finding a replacement firing pin for your Smith.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2009, 12:54:14 PM »
Hardware store up to Ord ought to have some 10p nails and a file. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2009, 01:27:59 PM »
That sounds like a lotta work to me.

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2009, 05:51:46 PM »
By reputation, Capt. Niederlander, if your guns weren't broken when you got i, it soon will be. ;)  ;D ;D ;D

Unfortunately, that is a fact!  Among the list of guns that have broken down on me are:  Glock 21, Remington 870, M1 Garand, Springfield M1A, Ruger Vaquero, Smith & Wesson 1917.  Most of those are considered pretty well unbreakable.  I've come to accept it over the years!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2009, 07:28:16 PM »
You broke a GARAND??? That's kind of like breaking an anvil, isn't it?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com