Author Topic: Seems hard to get a CAS rig nowadays...  (Read 17887 times)

Offline Abominable Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Seems hard to get a CAS rig nowadays...
« on: January 01, 2013, 08:07:03 PM »
I've contacted a number of prominent holster companies on the web requesting a new CAS rig.
Either they do not respond at all or they are not inclined to make the few alterations to their model of holster or belt to accomodate my request.
I suppose I could just make the whole thing myself; but I don't have any means to stitch other than by hand.
Two holsters and a shell belt would be a lot of stitching by hand.
What's up with the holster makers out there? I wouldn't think that they would just want to leave money on the table.
 ???

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
Re: Seems hard to get a CAS rig nowadays...
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 09:01:21 PM »
I'm taking orders every day, about 4 months out right now.

Two holsters aint too much hand stitching, I'll do one and sometimes two at night watching tv or a movie.

About half of my work is hand stitched for those with toe plugs and such for those wanting rigs historically accurate.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 09:24:16 PM »
Well er ya go,order up ;D :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:26:42 AM »

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 12:44:20 PM »
I fear that you are finding out the dirty little secret about  'off the shelf'  and true custom orders.  Most of the well known SASS makers are not producing custom, though often their loyal but uninformed customers insist they are.  True custom is not just offering a few standard options for your regular catalogue item or offering to stamp an initial on same.  A really good description of the different classifications of makers was given in the SASS Chronicle some years ago by Purdy Gear. I would be surprised if you couldnt find what you want done by someone on this board. 

Offline Abominable Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 05:21:06 PM »
I want a shotgun belt with 6 double 12Ga cups and a pair of holsters (L&R straight hang), with at least three .45 bullet loops on each of them.
The holsters need to fit a pair of 6 1/2" S&W New Model 3 styled revolvers.
It doesn't seem all that out there to me.
First stop is the type of revolver... I have gotten a number of "What is a S&W New Model 3?" answers.
"oh... it's like a Schofield? I only have 1 holster that I make for those"
A lot of makers offer some type of Mexican loop holster or Meanea style holstrer.
When I ask them if they could add bullet loops I hit a brick wall.
It's like they can't work outside of that Will Ghormley pattern pack they bought at Tandy or something
I came across a neat holster style, it's called a Ropes holster.
A single loop style, that has about 10 bullet loops across the top of it
The seller of those could try to get me them to fit my guns (he has a maker)
But they wouldn't be able to make me a shell belt at all.
Told me a matching strap of leather with some holes in it and a buckle was going to cost me as much as what most others sell a John Wayne style gun belt cost
No thanks

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 05:54:40 PM »
As Bob said and reading your post your wanting a true custom rig and need to go to a true custom maker.

A lot of custom makers on this board can make what you want.

Only problem I see is if a custom maker has the S&W New model #3 with the right length barrel to use to make the pattern and mold the holster. Closest thing I've got is a Schofield with a 7 inch, that's what my wife shoots.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline bedbugbilly

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 06:47:37 PM »
+1 to what Cliff said - a lot may depend of if the maker has the pistol to utilize for the pattern and to mold  the holster.

What you are describing is probably going to be "custom" - and more than likely "hand sewn".

If you can't find someone to do it - like you say - you can always make it yourself.  Lots of good advice on leather working on this forum and lots of folks to answer questions if you get stuck.  As far as stitching - a person can make their own awl - or buy one along with handsewing supplies.  Or, you can drill your holes instead of using an awl.

I'm sure someone on here would be more than happy to do the work if they have either a pattern or the pistol.  Yes, there is a lot of hand stitching - but there is work to everything.  I you want something that is authentic - then I'd opt for the hand stitching.  Like everything though, time is money and a custom made outfit is going to be more expensive than an a machine sewn "off the shelf" variety.

Good luck with your project - you have a place to start with some of the response posts and I'm sure others will chime in.

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 08:32:09 PM »
GCR, I believe he said "L & R straight hang". I would take that as a double strongside.

Reminds me of asking some makers to build me some holsters wih the stitched seam in front.
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline Abominable Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 08:33:25 PM »
Yup... I've seen the Idaho John rig; but it would be their Tequila Shotshell belt I'd be wanting to use with it.
I dropped them a line as well as El Paso Saddlery and haven't heard back from them.

Double strong side yes I shoot double duelist

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 09:51:53 PM »
Just make it double strong side :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 10:00:50 PM »
Just make it a double strong side :)    Just like a double strong post :D I'm pooped from babysittin :( :P ::)
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline buckskin billy

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
    • the buck rub
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 10:24:31 PM »
the idaho john right and left holsters with a tequilla belt wouldn't be to much trouble to make. my only hang up as well as others here would be fitting it to you revolver.
" I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders"
-Ted Nugent-

if it walks, crawls, slithers or leaves a track i can tan it

http://thebuckrub.proboards.com/index.cgi?

http://thebuffalorunners.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 12:04:00 AM »
FWIW - a #3 Smith will fit most any holster built for a Single Action Army or Schofield - here's a Russian in a holster originally built for a Colt SAA with a shortened to 6.5" barrel, The S & W models all built on the same basic large frame include: Americans, Russian Models, Schofields, the New Model Number Three, and the .44 Double Action

Since most period makers seldom molded to the gun, neither do I unless it's a copy of one of the very few heavily molded ones such as can be seen in Packing Iron. I've sold several holsters for S & W large frames using my SAA pattern since I don't have an S & W handy and just shorten the tube up to fit the barrel. As for molding it's easy to do and those customers that wanted it done for guns I didn't have or can't get a mock up for, I was able to explain how-to using a plastic bag wrapped around the gun  and dampening the inside with rubbing alcohol - never had one complain yet, in fact most have thanked me since they then could do it to any holster.
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline Missouri Ruffian

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 12:41:21 AM »
I cannot say I know what you are looking for but, take a look at J M Leather. A great off the shelf custom leather maker.  Made the NonStop Express rig for me pictured om his website. Great quality at a fantastic price.  We discussed what I was looking for on the phone for nearly an hour and he gave me exactly what I wamted.

http://jm-leather.com/index.htm

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 08:25:05 AM »
There is a style that is commonly referred to as the Hardin style, might even be a photo in PACKING IRON?   These are usually sewn directly on the front of the holster but I think I like the easier more practical method of sewing them to a front strap like the one pictured on the IJ Rig.  (Could also be made to swap out if you later decide it is to much bother!)  From actual experience, I like the look BUT found them to have no practical value in any situation that allowed extra ammo to be carried in any other way.  I actually ended up carrying dummy rounds in mine on the few occasions I wore them to a match.

Do be sure that you know whether you want traditional styling or a more modern competitive holster rig and steer the maker in that direction.  One other thing that this brings up is the question of odd barl lengths, especially as pertains to moulded holsters and high front sights that might affect the way the barl angle runs.  Wonder how reasonable it would be to buy an extra resin gun or two from Bunkhouse Tools to custom cut for jobs like this?

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 08:28:49 AM »
I've got a 44 double action and hadnt realized it was the same frame size as a Schofield. I'll have to do a comparison.

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Abominable Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 06:35:08 PM »
FWIW - a #3 Smith will fit most any holster built for a Single Action Army or Schofield - here's a Russian in a holster originally built for a Colt SAA with a shortened to 6.5" barrel, The S & W models all built on the same basic large frame include: Americans, Russian Models, Schofields, the New Model Number Three, and the .44 Double Action

Great photo!

I have a couple of San Pedro gunfighters. One is a strong right, the other a right crossdraw
I have used them a few times, but they really don't fit that well.
Plus they are for SAA with a 5 1/2" pipe, therefore the barrels of my guns hang out
The same holds true for the holsters I have from Wild West Mercantile
I was tempted to get something "off the shelf" but was afraid of running into the same issue.

Offline Deuce Stevens

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 07:02:38 PM »
 My pard Doc Noper does really nice work. His average wait time for a rig be it custom or one of his standard model is 1-2 weeks. And yes he's always busy but is able to maintain that turnaround time. Here a holsters he made for a pards Schofields

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 07:19:09 PM »
Wow, how do you make a custom rig in 1 week? Some of my custom staining processes take two weeks by the time each step dries. Even when oiling skirting leather I like to give it a week or so to migrate and even out before top coating.

Your right Chuck, I did check the 44 double action break top today and it does fit my wifes Schofield holster very well. I guess one could just use any of those to make a pattern.

Even though I know original holsters were not specifically molded to fit, I like to do the initial molding of a holster when I stain it with a gun like the customer plans to use. It's not always possible if the exact gun isn't available but I like to get it shaped as best as possible.

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com