Author Topic: If you are having a bad day this should give you a good laugh!  (Read 11793 times)

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
If I can, I am going to attach a pic of my first set of Holsters, They are not very pretty, and there is a old saying you learn by your mistakes! I hope that is true, because I made a lot of them!
 When I got MR. Stohlman book I started reading, How to make your own patterns, I liked that idea, I knew what style I wanted to make, I wanted a Double Crossdraw for my 72 Open Tops. So I got me some art board, it is about as thick as the cover of the book. Al tells you how to make your pattern, then he tells you to ad 3/4" all the way around, so that is what I did, he shows you a lot of ways to put diff.angles on none skirted holters (Now that worked great!) so I get my patterns out, because I made a RH. & LH., I lay one of the patterns out on my leather and trace around, being carefull to do a good job! When I got down, I got my Stanley Knife out "with a Brand New Blade" and cut it out!After that I kinda folded it, check out the flap for the angle of how the holster was going to set on the belt! IT WAS PERFECT ;D So i lay out my other side and do the same! Things are going my way :) :).
 So after taking a rest and doing somemore reading, I got out one of my 72's and wraped the holster around it and :o :o holters wasn't near big enough  :(. So now I know I have to make shims, and a lot of them >:( >:( So I am determed to make these work!! Lesson #1, next time, I will extend form 3/4" to 1 1/2", you can allways take off, better that to add! so I am learning!!
I get them lined and sewed around where there wasn't going to be any stiching. With 3 shims, it is pretty tough to punch all your holes threw all 7 layers counting the 2 lining layers, that didn't work out the best, made several mistakes, so I had to go find me a waxed thread that matched the color I dye the leather, because I have never seen a holster zig zag on the outside! And since I didn't have any dye made up or bought, I used Ritz from the Grocery Store! My Total Investment, other than my time $3.65 !

But I think I learned a lot from those mistakes, and i will be moving on to the belt, nothing fancy a tall!
I am going to see if I can attach a pic, and don't give your self a heart attack while laughing so much while looking at the pic.

Thanks to all !!
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
Re: If you are having a bad day this should give you a good laugh!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 12:17:30 PM »
Howdy Ace,

Well I'm not laughing. I'm happy for you. You can certainly be proud of your first Holsters. You have put in a lot of time and effort to get to this point. You will learn from each project and you will be amazed how your work will improve with practice.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline cowboywc

• Top Active Citizen
    • Leather by WC
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 12:19:35 PM »
Howdy Ace
There is nothing to laugh at. You did a good job for your first set.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Advertising

Offline santee

• Keeping the Spirit of the Old West Alive
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The business end of a sixgun earns no interest.
    • Arizona Ghostriders
  • SASS #: 2171
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 01:34:09 PM »
Good job, Ace! Nice color, too.
Historian at Old Tucson Studios
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 03:02:23 PM »
Ace, they turned out much much better than my first ones! And I still get the mysterious "too little leather" syndrome once in awhile. As long as you are learning from your mistakes, I think its a great accomplishment! Congrats!! DM

PS I think they look pretty good! DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 03:57:42 PM »
Ace,

They look real good!!  Be proud.   ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline panhead pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 09:18:21 PM »
Ace,

Nice work Amigo!!  You should be proud.

Panhead Pete

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 10:06:20 PM »
I want to thank each and every one of you folks for the Kuddo's, they would off looked a lot better if I wouldn't had to shim so much, the guns fit in them great! I learned a lot, and more on the second one, just a few little tricks, that helps. Going to start on the belt tomorrow, NOTHING FANCY just plain, with no stitching, except for the bullet loops, I am going to put a light border top and bottom, and I would like to put bullet loops also in front off the holster, like the rigWild Bill was wearing in the movie, that they have been playing on amc, because i put that kind of angle on the holsters. I have a couple old buckles that are period correct, but they are for the 2 1/2 belts, and my belt is going to be 1 1/2". As usuasal I had a little bad luck, I was going to order the book Packing Iron, I have been reloading for 30 years and I load and sell to some of my friends, it was nice out to day, not cold, because one of those friends called me last night and wanted to come buy some 38's and 44's I thought I out to go out and check inventory, because this winter I have been working on the honor system, they would come to the house, and i would give them the key to the shop, let them get what they wanted bring me back the key and pay me! I just cannot go out in the cold in the evening.The honor system I guess is at a stop, i am missing about 2000 - 38 empties. So now I have to buy some brass instead of the book!
 That rig, even though it is very pretty is going to be my rig for my 72's.
I better get off here, but I could not of made those holsters without you folks, you have helped me out so MUCH I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW I FEEL!
 I still have a lot of reloading equipment left to sale, and I need a Hawes Western Marshall in 44 I need to Trade a limited edition OMV with deep blue barrel and cylinder with the gold inlays in the cylinders case colored reciever and Ruger Aged Sim Ivory grips i need to draw $200.00 They are selling from $550.00-$700.00 I bought like brand newHawes right here at the gun shop $250.00 out the door.
Thank you again
Ace
P.S. I have finaly found a group of people like me willing to help anyone, anytime if possible, and i am not close enought to talk face to face :(
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 10:32:31 PM »
Howdy Ace

Boy I almost missed out on this , I've been having pc problems, Pard I'm VERY PROUD OF YOU , I'll give you a pat on the back , for sticking it out and getting the job done, and I think they look great, and your guns look like there happy camping out in them, so now your a leather crafter, and it only gets better from here on, Keep up the good work Pard  ::) :o ;D 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 10:53:44 PM »
Those things look great, pard. I like 'em. There's nothing like your first project. Now you are on your way. It'll be great to see your next pair. WE ALL make improvements on our stuff when we do the next whatever. Keep it up. Outstanding, pard.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline crossdraw

• Top Active Citizen
  • RATS #361
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 08:23:51 AM »
Ace
My first pattern came out a little narrow also so I had to add to the width. I don't like 3/4" of holster hanging below the end of the barrel so I shorten that a little also.

Your holsters look good. How did your stamping come out? I did a little on my shoulder rig that wasn't planned......well that was a mistake, looks like a 3 year old was playing with a stamp set. I learned lesson #2...Plan your stamping out ahead of time.

Keep up the good work and keep learning
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 07:11:11 AM »
Crossdraw, I think for the first time i had a stamp in my hand it came out okay, I wiill try and shoot a close up of the basket weave to let you make up your own mind?I made mistakes, but with the basket weave, ther is so bissy it distracks your eyes for them. I went with basket weave pattern because that is what my wife wanted! My home life is alot differnt, than it ever has been, when I was working, I was the head of the house hold or you could say! Whe had a nice 50/50 deal, been married 34 years, but after I blew my back out, I walk around the house, when I can walk, I walk on glass!! I have lived in this pain for going on 5 years, I worked 4 of them, but when Doc told me I couldn't work anymore, things have changed, i don't think she likes it that I am allways home! Plus I allways did side line work to make my own spending money, now I cannot, and that makes a diff! Thats enough about me!
 I don't know if I can learn to carve, I am going to try. I bought up a bunch of scrap and can go buy more and the guy sell it to me cheap! I want to get a copy of that book Packing Iron so bad, I can smell it!
 What about you ? Have you done a lot of leather work? Do you carve or are you like me, just useing the stamps? I was going to buy some of those 3-d stamps, but i just havn.t figure out how to press them good, I know the C clamp meathod works, and I  have a lot of C clamps. I went to ebay yesterday and was looking at the leather stuff. Tandy sells there 3-D stamp like $3.75 or something like that, there was a person that was selling homemaid 3-D stamps and people were going crazy over them, but you could tell the diff, in them and Tandy's. Tandy's are casted, and these were CNC Milled.  I wished I lived close to someone that does leather work that I could go look at how there Tandy 3-D stamps turn out, I dont think they have the depth or the detail they should have.
 I am in hopes of starting a new rig next week, but I am at a lost, for I don't know what I want to do. I do think this one will be a skirt set of holters, with more period correct tooling !
Talk to you soon
Let me know what you are working on!
Ace
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline crossdraw

• Top Active Citizen
  • RATS #361
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 07:57:04 AM »
Hi Ace
I am new to leather work. I am on my second holster. the first was a flat non CAS style for my kid. Now I am working on a shoulder holster for my Ruger that I can use on horseback. My next will be a huckleberry rig for my Ruger.
I have only done minimal stamping, I just need to work at it more. I have a friend that needs two holsters so I have some practice work coming up.
When I feel I can do a fairly good job I will attempt a complete rig with Will G's buckle and an antique dye listed on this forum.

Good day Pard
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Offline R.T. Rangebum

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 08:19:58 AM »
Howdy Ace,

Just where do you live? Could be that you are near enough to some one that we could get together and help you along. I live in southwestern Missouri and would be happy to get with you and share my small gains in knowledge from trail and error.

RTR

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 06:52:35 AM »
R.T.
 I live S.E. Kansas, so we can't live to far apart. I live Oswego. Where do you live from Joplin? I would realy like to have someone to hands on show me some stuff! The Pards on Here as Far as I am Consered ARE THE BEST THERE IS Hands Down :) Never meet a better bunch of folks that will jump right in a help you out!
  I have been on diff. forums where you can asked the smallest question and you may never get a answer back. One thing about it I was born and raised to help any one I can, and I do!! Sometimes you just can't answer a question as well as you can show them. Plus it would be nice just to have someone to chat with in person! To me this has been the longest Winter in History, it has kept me in this bed just about as long as I can stand it.
 It was nice here yesterday, and I took full advantage of it, got my gun cart out, set the nails, filled the holes, stained it, and put some poly. on it. Don't have a lot left to do to it and it will be done, havn't  figure out how to mount my chair yet . Thought that I would do that maybe today.
 i also worked on my belt, got it stained, got the buckel slot cut, got my belt loops leather stained, going to try and get it done today.
 Give me shout !
Maybe we can get toghter
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 08:26:52 AM »
Hey Ace, I am in Nebraska, but I go shoot in Hill City Ks on ocassion. If you ever head that way let me know and I will make a point to be there. DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Offline R.T. Rangebum

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 08:31:46 AM »
Ace,

I live in Republic, just southwest of Springfield. Only about 45 min. from Joplin straight down I-44. I'd be happy to have you stop by and swap stories. If you are interested, my club, The Southern Missouri Rangers, are having our monthly match this coming weekend. Directions to the range are on the web site.

RTR

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 09:08:17 AM »
Darn and I was looking for a chuckle, narry a one on this one!  Great job and you should be proud of them.  Patterns, specially new ones, have always been my biggest hurdle also.  My problem is finding something with pleasing lines while still remaining functional.  Guess this reveals my lack of artistic talent.  When one starts with a gun and a piece of paper, from which to render a pattern, thats a chore. 

The Stohlman method has been the time honored way of doing new patterns for a long time but there is something different available now.  Over the past thirty or more years I have tried to gather every bit of information available on patterning holsters, there has been lots out there but mostly all based on the Stohlman method.  To my knowledge I have checked every video on the subject and probably have most of the specialty books also, everyone offering at least a few gems on holster/pattern making, using the Stohlman method to one degree or another.  As previously mentioned there is a pard that has brought in some new ideas that are different.  Though I do not embrace all of his ideas, his pattern making process is just the ticket for one starting out, no generic add on figures.  His name is Jim Simmons and his book is YeeHaa.  Though I no longer see it listed with Hide Crafters, he had a related video on holster making which well illustrated his technique also.  I wish this had been around 'way back when' as it would have saved me some time and leather early on.

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2008, 06:38:31 AM »
Good mprning pards,
Im  just about ready to start on a new rig, and I am lost :o I have a few Idea's, and I love the looks of the James Holsters and plan on making a pair of them some day. I just got done rebuilding a pair of baskets case Hawes Western marshall in 45LC, I bought this box at a gun store, that i guy had just brung in and sold the owner. i didn't look the box of goodies over very well or I might not of bought them, I spent over $400.00 in parts that were gone. The only reason i bought them, is because they have Silver Dollar city stamped on them, some off you know what I am talking about and some of you dont. At Branson mo. they have a place called Silver Dollar City, and it is quit the place, they have things to do for all ages, but when I was a kid and they still have it, you could ride the steam engine train, and along they way they would have a train robbery, the actors used real guns with B.P. blanks it was cool ! When the Columbine shooting happen, the director of silver dollar city pulled all the real guns and went to blank only! These guns are out of the bunch that they used, the neat thing about the whole story is I was down there in 1968 and these guns are dated 1967. My biggest problem was that there are no ONS parts left, so there are some shops that are reproducing the parts for these guns, I have a later model in 44 that is like new and shoots greats, back to the parts very few of the parts fit, you have to hand fit each part, and the new hammer for one gun the thrird notch on the hammer (full cock) was cut 3/8ths short, so that made me extend the new trigger 3/8" longer, which then wouldn't let the trigger housing fit, so then I had to fix the trigger.
  So I want to make a set of holters for them ! So untill I get the money to buy the Packing Iron  book, I just don't know what kind of rig, I will make for them. I have allways wanted a doulbe strong hand Fancy Mexican rig with all the Silver goddies, but I feel that if a person is going to make that rig you need some hand tooling on it! And I am not ready to hand tool yet!
 I love Roses and Crosses, and have some Idea's, I am going to wait untill W.G. gets his James stamps on the market, and then I might buy some other stamps that I have saw that would make a nice looking rig, but it all comes down to the big problem MONEY !
 Sorry about getting so long winded.
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2008, 10:03:17 AM »
Howdy ACE

It's good to here you're ready to start another rig, if you want to make a money belt , you don't have to tool or stamp it , because the leather is really too thin, they usually use 4/5 once leather, but you could also use a 5/6 ounce too but as CowboyWC told me, you can adorn it with concho's , or spots, this is what I did with my antiqued rig , ( and I used 4/5 ounce leather ) that I used Chuck Burrows old time walnut dye on, so you might want to think about it, I really like the money belt style, their  much more comfortable than most other gun belts, you can wear them all day, without getting tired, and with your bad back , you might want to think about giving the money belt some thought. Most money belts were plane in the old days , and they fancied them up by making their holster fancy with stamping and carving , conchos's and spots, when you get your copy of Packing Iron you will see what I mean, and I'm happy to hear your wife is picking up a copy of this book for you. So good luck with your new project Pard, you've already come a long way. ;) :D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com