Author Topic: Size and dimension of Sharpshooter steel targets  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 892
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Size and dimension of Sharpshooter steel targets
« on: August 29, 2020, 08:13:57 PM »
I have read and viewed some of the videos of the GAF Sharpshooter matches. Our club has the area and we shoot up to 200 yards. We shoot steel animal targets at these distances. I mentioned building some military targets to shoot 100 and 200 yards, would like to make a scaled target for the 300 yard phase. Where do I find the information to build targets without reinventing the wheel?
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892
Sgt Maj (ret) 2nd KY Vols 1812 era
Lt (ret) Rogers Rangers F&I
Booshway 2021Thundercreek Rendevous

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Size and dimension of Sharpshooter steel targets
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 09:23:38 PM »
I'm assuming you're talking about the Long Range stage at the Brigade Muster?  We use IDPA targets cut from 1/2" AR500 steel.  You could use the full size targets at 100 and 200 yards, and use a 2/3 scale one at the 200 to represent 300 yards.  I can send you the stage instructions I wrote for it if you want.  The format we've been using for several years now works really well.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 09:30:38 PM »
You can find them on e-Bay.  Just look for IDPA 1/2" AR500 steel targets.  Full size is 18" x 30", 2/3 scale is 12" x 20, and 1/3 scale is 6" x 10".

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:23:14 PM »

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 07:34:07 AM »
I'm assuming you're talking about the Long Range stage at the Brigade Muster?  We use IDPA targets cut from 1/2" AR500 steel.  You could use the full size targets at 100 and 200 yards, and use a 2/3 scale one at the 200 to represent 300 yards.  I can send you the stage instructions I wrote for it if you want.  The format we've been using for several years now works really well.

Thanks this is great, this gives me a lot of what I need. We have enough talented individuals that building and scrounging materials isn't an issue. Now, stage instructions? Is this the same as NCOWS "scenario"? Any help is appreciated. I brought up the subject of bolt action firearms at a match yesterday and received strong pushback. So, building the targets is a first step. Once again, thanks.

Addendum: a couple further questions. Are these targets the man shaped targets? Or are they simple rectangles? Looking on the interweb I see both.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 08:51:14 AM »
I'll get a picture of the target and how we mount them after church, and I'll post the instructions for the Long Range Rifle stage, too.  The targets are the IDPA silhouette pattern.

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 09:26:22 AM »
Here's a link to a pdf of the targets we use for our knock down targets in the skirmish stages. The ones we use are scaled to 1/2 size.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9M9unK0x7ooY0g5UUFzQV9YS1k/view?usp=sharing
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 08:43:36 AM »

Thanks this is great, this gives me a lot of what I need. We have enough talented individuals that building and scrounging materials isn't an issue. Now, stage instructions? Is this the same as NCOWS "scenario"? Any help is appreciated. I brought up the subject of bolt action firearms at a match yesterday and received strong pushback. So, building the targets is a first step. Once again, thanks.

Addendum: a couple further questions. Are these targets the man shaped targets? Or are they simple rectangles? Looking on the interweb I see both.
Okay, I can't find the instructions I wrote right now, but I'll explain what we do.  The steel IDPA targets are mounted at 100, 200, and 300 yards.  You have a maximum of fifteen rounds and seven and a half minutes to shoot the course.  When you start you need to hit the 100 yard target three times from offhand (standing) before you move to the 200 yard target.  The two hundred yard target must be hit three times from the sitting or kneeling position before moving to the 300 yard target.  The 300 yard target is fired from any position you choose.  If you get all nine hits before ammunition or time expires, you're done, and we keep track of number of rounds fired and the time taken.  If time or ammunition expires before you get nine hits, we keep track of the number of hits and time taken.  All firing is done from one point.  Most people either get the nine hits or use their fifteen rounds in about two and a half to three minutes.  I don't remember having anyone have time expire before expending fifteen rounds or getting the nine hits, although we've been close a couple of times.

If you're incorporating this into another stage and time is critical, you could go with one hit at each distance.  It's all up to your imagination.  We've found it works really well at the Brigade Muster because we don't ever have to go down range to score targets.  Saves a lot of time that way.

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 08:45:54 AM »
Here's a link to a pdf of the targets we use for our knock down targets in the skirmish stages. The ones we use are scaled to 1/2 size.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9M9unK0x7ooY0g5UUFzQV9YS1k/view?usp=sharing

Thank you, this and having the type target and sizes give me something to work with. I did find a website that had the 1/3 scale printable IDPA target. With the proper dimensions, we can use that to build some targets. The skirmish knockdowns will take some scrounging to find the proper steel to take punishment. Although, as I previously mentioned, the local NCOWS group is opposed to bolt action rifles on the range. Baby steps.....
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 09:11:13 AM »
Okay, I can't find the instructions I wrote right now, but I'll explain what we do.  The steel IDPA targets are mounted at 100, 200, and 300 yards.  You have a maximum of fifteen rounds and seven and a half minutes to shoot the course.  When you start you need to hit the 100 yard target three times from offhand (standing) before you move to the 200 yard target.  The two hundred yard target must be hit three times from the sitting or kneeling position before moving to the 300 yard target.  The 300 yard target is fired from any position you choose.  If you get all nine hits before ammunition or time expires, you're done, and we keep track of number of rounds fired and the time taken.  If time or ammunition expires before you get nine hits, we keep track of the number of hits and time taken.  All firing is done from one point.  Most people either get the nine hits or use their fifteen rounds in about two and a half to three minutes.  I don't remember having anyone have time expire before expending fifteen rounds or getting the nine hits, although we've been close a couple of times.

If you're incorporating this into another stage and time is critical, you could go with one hit at each distance.  It's all up to your imagination.  We've found it works really well at the Brigade Muster because we don't ever have to go down range to score targets.  Saves a lot of time that way.

We had our first long range shoot this past weekend. No time limit, we had three classes. We had lever action pistol caliber which shot a different series of targets for the 100 yard shots. Then we shot single shot big bore rifles. Our 100 yard target was of less strength steel than was preferable. It got beat up pretty bad. Then a couple guys brought big bore lever guns, they shot the big bore targets as well. Everyone shot 10 rounds, all from a sitting position with a rest. That was preferred by the man running the match. That will change in future matches per our discussion after the match.  If I can convince them to use some GAF targets, it might up the fun.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 09:12:29 AM »
The skirmish knockdowns will take some scrounging to find the proper steel to take punishment.
We use 3/8" AR-500
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2020, 03:38:36 PM »

Thank you, this and having the type target and sizes give me something to work with. I did find a website that had the 1/3 scale printable IDPA target. With the proper dimensions, we can use that to build some targets. The skirmish knockdowns will take some scrounging to find the proper steel to take punishment. Although, as I previously mentioned, the local NCOWS group is opposed to bolt action rifles on the range. Baby steps.....
We actually use the same targets for our local cowboy club.  If you want, I can send you the cad drawings we cut them with.  They're set up to be knock downs, but our bases are modified so you can pin them up in the standing position so they're dingers.

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2020, 07:41:32 PM »
We actually use the same targets for our local cowboy club.  If you want, I can send you the cad drawings we cut them with.  They're set up to be knock downs, but our bases are modified so you can pin them up in the standing position so they're dingers.

CAD drawings would be great. How do you want to send them?
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2020, 08:16:13 PM »
PM me your e-mail address, and I think I can e-mail them to you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com