Author Topic: Knife Sheaths  (Read 950 times)

Online Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Knife Sheaths
« on: February 04, 2023, 02:34:03 PM »
Okay, I've got my butcher knife, but what sort of sheath did people use?  I'm guessing the modern retaining strap with a snap wasn't in play.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Knife Sheaths
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 02:42:58 PM »
Howdy N,

I can't supply any photos, but one prominent style had an extended edge to the blade side of the sheath with a slot. The belt went through the slot and over the part of the sheath that held the knife. Maybe some others can come up with photos.

Rev. Chase

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 09:01:12 PM »
I believe this is the type of sheath Rev. Chase is referring to … one I made in a brass tacked native style for my "buffalo skinner" knife.

(Please excuse the rather fuzzy resolution of this image, it is a detail blown up from a layout of various items of kit …)
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:34:28 PM »

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 10:16:53 PM »
That's exactly what I was talking about. A nice job too.

Rev. Chase

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2023, 09:07:08 AM »
Hello Rev,
Another medium is rawhide.  Depending on length of blade, you might get by with one of the big rawhide chews at a pet shop.   They are a crafter’s warehouse.    I made a matching sheath, flap holster and shoulder parfleche bag from rawhide and they are nice because little stitching, just mainly lacing and tacks.    Go to the leather board here and search parfleche.   Here is a the sheath before and after painting

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2023, 09:42:29 AM »
Hey Mongorilla,

I forgot about parfleche. I've never used it, but aren't you worried that the dog chewing on you sheath?

Rev. Chase

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2023, 10:09:43 AM »
Rawhide was common - it was almost a kydek of the era.

You can paint it - bead it - or bead on canvas and attach it like an applique like native americans did.

Sheaths were deep - that held and protected the blade - the commercial camp and hunting knives often had a more 'developed' sheath with a strap like you see with modern blades.

You can get a nicely-sized piece by using a well-cleaned rawhide dog bone.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Jack Wagon

• Top Active Citizen
  • the High Sierra
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2023, 01:15:03 PM »
Here is my parfleche  sheath for a big hunting knife.  Jw
Jack Wagon
Member NRA
Member #358 SSS

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2023, 10:45:39 AM »
Ha Rev.  I didn't with our old dog.   He really never thought he was a dog, and we kind of treated him like he was human.    He lived to be a right grumpy 19 years old.   He was 9 lbs and at times thought he was 8 feet tall and made of steel.    Funny, as I took him with me when I bought supplies at the pet shop, as they had a treat bar you could fill a mixed bag from.   Those things he liked!   I bought one of those giant cow bones (it became a powder flask that has since been passed on in trade).  Had dog under one arm and laid the bone on the counter, it was longer than he was.    Kid at the counter asked me if I had another dog.   I replied no, just him.  He is ferocious.   kid thought I was crazy.   

Current dog is a female miniture australian labradoodle.  They are 45% lab, 45% poodle, and 10% spaniel, bred in Australia as a hypoallergenic service dog.  She is only 17 pounds, but the lab portion comes out in her love of fetch, carrying random things around in her mouth, and a HUGE INTEREST in my stash of rawhide, leather, antlers and bones for craft.   The parfleche items above are always kept in a rubbermade if not on my hips.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com