Author Topic: Rube Burrows  (Read 1768 times)

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Rube Burrows
« on: August 16, 2021, 09:35:11 PM »
Howdy Rube.  I'm showing my ignorance, but I did not know there was a real old west character named Rube Burrows.  A friend gave me some magazines he was done with, and in the Spring 2013 issue of Guns of the Old West, someone wrote a letter telling them about Rube and suggesting they do an article on him (did they later?  I don't know), and included a pic of Rube in his coffin with a Remington, a Colt, and a Marlin.   I said, Hey, I've heard of that guy!  ;D

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
Re: Rube Burrows
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 11:37:50 PM »
I remember him introducing himself some time ago. His persona struck me as interesting...

https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=10233.msg123139#msg123139

Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 12:57:51 AM »
Ahh, thanks for that.  And I'm sure that the picture of him in the coffin is the one that Nolan Sackett posted there that no longer shows up.  The shape is the same.  :)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:33:32 AM »

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 08:30:55 AM »
Howdy Rube.  I'm showing my ignorance, but I did not know there was a real old west character named Rube Burrows.  A friend gave me some magazines he was done with, and in the Spring 2013 issue of Guns of the Old West, someone wrote a letter telling them about Rube and suggesting they do an article on him (did they later?  I don't know), and included a pic of Rube in his coffin with a Remington, a Colt, and a Marlin.   I said, Hey, I've heard of that guy!  ;D

Oh yeah. I bet those are good. I don't see to many things on him. My great grandmother bought land from Rube in 1889 that my family still owns today. The land I grew up on. So, as a kid, Rube Burrow was my own personal Jesse James or Billy The Kid.

My grandmother took me to his grave not far from our land as a kid and that is what started my love of History and the Wild West era.

He actually robbed more trains than the James boys and even one by himself. His story has it all. Train Robberies, Gun Fights, Cowboy and in the end he was killed in a gun fight.

Growing up looking at that photo of him in his Coffin I would wonder where the guns were. Later in life I tracked down the rifle and got to see it in person. Its a 1888 Marlin in 38-40 with a 26" barrel.

the two hand guns are in personal collections.

A few years back in my hometown there was a Rube Burrow gathering where I got to meet his grandson who was 90 something at the time. He had all of the old family Tintypes of Rube and his Brother along with other family. It was so strange to see tintypes that I looked at in books for so many years come in in and old shoe box. I found out that I am related to him by marriage and also related to the postmaster that he killed there in our hometown.

I collect anything Rube Burrow related so now I will be on the look out for those magazines. I used to write them and ask them to run articles on Rube. Does it say who the sender is on that letter in the magazine?

Here are a couple photos
1- Rube In His Coffin At Birmingham Train Station
2- Courthouse That He Died In Front Of At Linden Alabama
3- His Beloved Marlin 1888 That Is In His Coffin Photo
4- Me At Rube's Grave
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 08:38:06 AM »
More Photos

1- My Display At The Local Rube Burrow Gathering. Two Wanted Photos And A Period Harpers Ferry Copy Of Him
2- One Of Rube's Bullets Out Of His Revolver From The Gunfight That Killed Him.
3- Plaque in front of the old Courthouse where he was killed.
4- Old Book/Dime Novel On Rube
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Oldgold

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 12:18:03 PM »
 Did he actually get buried with his guns or was that a phot op?
Thanks for those that posted this thread.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2021, 12:20:39 PM »
Did he actually get buried with his guns or was that a phot op?
Thanks for those that posted this thread.

No, the guns were not buried with him. The guns were his and put in his coffin possibly just for the photo or possibly to return home to his family with the body.

The rifle is in the Alabama Archives. The revolvers are in personal collections last I heard.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 11:13:43 PM »
Here is the letter from the 2013 GOTOW.  Sender is just JW, from AL.  Says he grew up around there, so maybe you know a JW?

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2021, 06:57:48 AM »
Here is the letter from the 2013 GOTOW.  Sender is just JW, from AL.  Says he grew up around there, so maybe you know a JW?

That’s me. Never realized that it got published. That’s the only magazine that I subscribe too but must have not been subscribed at that time. I’m Joe W. Grew up on Rube’s old homestead.  Thanks for posting the pic of the article. Now I definitely have to find me a copy.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2021, 08:19:04 AM »
That’s me. Never realized that it got published. That’s the only magazine that I subscribe too but must have not been subscribed at that time. I’m Joe W. Grew up on Rube’s old homestead.  Thanks for posting the pic of the article. Now I definitely have to find me a copy.
Hah!  Well, this issue was given to me with the idea I pass it on.  PM me your address and I'll send it to you.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2021, 08:40:51 AM »
Hah!  Well, this issue was given to me with the idea I pass it on.  PM me your address and I'll send it to you.

:o

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2021, 08:20:20 PM »
I will probably get it  out next week when I get back to town.  Coincidentally, it turns out that I also have a personal connection, previously unnoticed, with this issue.  There is an article on Shot Show, and one of the pictures shows Joey Dillon spinning his guns.  He is not identified by name, but he was our entertainer at the Cimarron booth.  Look just to the right of him and you can see part of my bugle on the table in the background!   ;D

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2021, 10:35:25 PM »
I will probably get it  out next week when I get back to town.  Coincidentally, it turns out that I also have a personal connection, previously unnoticed, with this issue.  There is an article on Shot Show, and one of the pictures shows Joey Dillon spinning his guns.  He is not identified by name, but he was our entertainer at the Cimarron booth.  Look just to the right of him and you can see part of my bugle on the table in the background!   ;D

Well that’s pretty cool too. Crazy how things like that happen.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com