Author Topic: Asking for a friend, possible new shooter. No really... Expansion era guidelines  (Read 4135 times)

Offline Whitehorse Lane

• Active citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3971
  • GAF #: 891
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
Yes, I really do have friends...  ;D
Stop laughing Copperhead, you know I have a couple...

A lady in my office has a husband she wants out of under her feet sometimes, he is a WW2 Collector
He has a Number 1 Mark 3 Enfield, would this be suitable for expansion era shoot in any way?
I read the guidelines on the GAF site, it expressly says NO in "Victorian Period", but there doesn't seem to be anything on "Expansion Era"
He has expressed an interest in our local Indiana muster maybe later this month.
I told him I would ask

White Horse Lane
Commander 9th Kentucky Cavalry (Retired)
GAF #891
NCOW #3971

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
I will of course defer to the expertise of Col. Drydock, but I think that a No.1 Mk III Lee-Enfield would be ideal for Expansion Era shooting. 

The initial "Rifle, Short, Magazine Lee-Enfield" (SMLE) was introduced into British military service in 1903, and its definitive Mk III version came along in 1907.  (Although now commonly referred to as the No. 1 rifle, that re-naming of the SMLE did not actually happen until 1926, so until well after WWI the older terminology is most appropriate, historically.)

I have used a SMLE rifle in Expansion Era competition ...

Of course, the most appropriate companion handgun would be a Mk I to Mk V Webley revolver, although if I am not mistaken the Mk VI version (not introduced until 1915) is accepted ...
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Everything Jack said.   ;D
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
In addition, having an expansion class in the main match can be a useful thing to encourage participants in early days.

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 892
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
......Tod, you know the rifle won't be an issue for our locals. Does he have the proper ammunition? We've already discussed mixing the timelines. If he's really interested, not just the weapons but the possibilities for a uniformed portrayal are wide open as well.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892
Sgt Maj (ret) 2nd KY Vols 1812 era
Lt (ret) Rogers Rangers F&I
Booshway 2021Thundercreek Rendevous

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Reminder: he does not HAVE to have a uniform to shoot.  General cowboy is fine.

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Reminder: he does not HAVE to have a uniform to shoot.  General cowboy is fine.

.....ha, yeah, like the NCOWS shoots, newcomers don't need much. Get'em to come and shoot first. Then pique their interest in the rest.....
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Fwiw you will find the expansion regulation on this forum, in one of the child boards at the top of the page.

Offline Whitehorse Lane

• Active citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3971
  • GAF #: 891
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
.....ha, yeah, like the NCOWS shoots, newcomers don't need much. Get'em to come and shoot first. Then pique their interest in the rest.....

ironically... Robert, the hood you saw over by the old car trailer, the one I've been saving for "sighting in".. it came off his crown vic...

With a name like Sterwerf I told him a Mauser and a Pickelhaube might be more appropriate.
White Horse Lane
Commander 9th Kentucky Cavalry (Retired)
GAF #891
NCOW #3971

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

With a name like Sterwerf I told him a Mauser and a Pickelhaube might be more appropriate.

....you will open up a can of worms. That EEM 1916 timeframe, if I read correctly pertains to the North American continent. What about other nations, including Canada. Many were deep into the Great War by then. Not wishing to see helmets and gas masks. Yes, GAF regulations do address this. They were in use by this time. On a sidenote, I recently acquired a slew of photos of a great Uncle on my maternal grandmothers side. The photos have dates between 1912-1919. Over the winter I'm going to seek out his service record. An 03 Springfield, DA Army and an OG outfit may be in my future..
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
... if I read correctly pertains to the North American continent....
NO!
The GAF honors ALL nations militaries, even through the EEM.
...Not wishing to see helmets and gas masks. Yes, GAF regulations do address this. They were in use by this time...
We chose the 1916 cut off date because the research we were using at the time indicated helmets and gas masks weren't in COMMON use yet. NOT because we didn't want to include other nations.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
While my wife disagrees, I think a pickelhaube should be regular wear. 

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
NO!
The GAF honors ALL nations militaries, even through the EEM.We chose the 1916 cut off date because the research we were using at the time indicated helmets and gas masks weren't in COMMON use yet. NOT because we didn't want to include other nations.

Jerry, I understand, the key word being "common"! Putting together a simple outfit for the man with this Mk 3 Enfield consisting of a uniform, ammo belt, softcap/hat, easy task. If he wants, for our local matches he doesn't need it. He could choose between, Canada, Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand, those are the easy ones. Not wanting to start a war, lol.....do enjoy a spirited give and go! For me, the appeal was putting together the outfits with the shooting being a bonus..
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Jerry, I understand, the key word being "common"! Putting together a simple outfit for the man with this Mk 3 Enfield consisting of a uniform, ammo belt, softcap/hat, easy task. If he wants, for our local matches he doesn't need it. He could choose between, Canada, Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand, those are the easy ones. Not wanting to start a war, lol.....do enjoy a spirited give and go! For me, the appeal was putting together the outfits with the shooting being a bonus..
Sorry If I sounded like I was starting a war, but we had a former member who was very upset that we would include other nations and I wanted to be completely clear that we include and honor other nations, including (but not limited to) our former enemies and allies.

Not wanting to start a war, lol.....do enjoy a spirited give and go! For me, the appeal was putting together the outfits with the shooting being a bonus..
+1 except that the uniforms were the bonus for me. Although; I guess if I'm honest, I guess I'm something of a clothes horse.  I can do impressions for all the periods from the Civil War up through and including Viet Nam with arms and uniforms.

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
.....no, thought maybe I had started the war! I mentioned to Dewayne before we ever started our merry little band. Opening up the timeline to the expansion era might draw out some WW1 guys to come out and actually use their weapons. I too, reenacted for a long time. What got me shooting, I had an issue with a pistol which led me to meeting one of my neighbors. Who just happened to be one of the best gunsmiths in my neck of the woods. That introduced me to another whole world of people. Starting NCOWS shooting with Trapdoors, SAA's and BP. Then finding interest in GAF among that group. Another journey of discovery began.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
For what it's worth, I've done an Australian Light Horse impression with an SMLE.  I don't think I have any pictures, but there may be some in some of the old threads.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
I remember having a few drinks to the US of OZ Light Marine Horse that evening.  Ducks may have been involved . . .

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
.....now this hilarious......we discuss NOT wearing helmets, gasmasks and such, since my wife works PT at a local orchard, I'm drinking my morning coffee and perusing YouTube videos. What comes up? Someone shooting a GAF EEM, wearing a German picklehaube lol! Gotta appreciate the irony......
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
I see you have met Herr von Masterton.  Handy man with a Luger.

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
.....now this hilarious......we discuss NOT wearing helmets, gasmasks and such, since my wife works PT at a local orchard, I'm drinking my morning coffee and perusing YouTube videos. What comes up? Someone shooting a GAF EEM, wearing a German picklehaube lol! Gotta appreciate the irony......
Of course that IS a little different as are these;

;) :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com