Author Topic: Ugh... Kirst Konverter and cylinder pin...need help  (Read 6492 times)

Offline Dakota Widowmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ugh... Kirst Konverter and cylinder pin...need help
« on: December 20, 2005, 01:04:00 PM »
So, I got my pair of Kirst Konverters and one works fine (with just a bit of touch up work on the bottom of the back plate) and the other is rather tight.

I noticed on one of my Pietta revolvers, the cylinder pin didn't want to come out.
The other one, it removes easily enough...but, the second one is TIGHT!!! I had to take a soft mallet and a wooden block to get it out.

The bottom of the cylinder pin is rather "chewed" up afterwards. (this is BEFORE getting the Kirst Konverter in it!)

Well, I got the pin cleaned up as much as I dare. I did alot of careful filing and sanding and stoning of the surface that was marred.

The pin now goes in and out much smoother, but, it still does not seat all the way back while the Kirst is in it.

Any suggestions? The Kirst cylinder sits just fine in the other Pietta Remington...

I think my cylinder pin may be either too ruined for the Kirst, or, the Kirst cylinder is in need of even more work to fit in this gun.

(I hate to have different sized Kirst cylinders, as the original cap-n-ball cylinders swap out effortlessly between both pistols)

jiminy criquet

Re: Ugh... Kirst Konverter and cylinder pin...need help
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 01:45:51 PM »
Generally speaking, the Kirst cylinders are made to tighter tolerances than the revolvers they fit into.  It sounds like you may have a slightly bent (or oversized) cylinder pin in the revolver that the Kirst won't fit into.  I had one that was a little tight fitting in and I ended up putting a nice 1/8" 45 degree bevel on the end of the cylinder pin where its seated into the frame.  You also may try chucking the pin in a drill and sanding it down a mite.  Worst case scenario is simply ordering a new cylinder pin...it's probably not a bad idea to have a spare anyways :).

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 02:14:35 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions....I will try them out tonight.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:50:28 PM »

Offline deucedaddyj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 03:16:07 PM »
Jiminy, I am constantly amazed at the knowledge that you time and time again bring to the table. If I knew and could do half the things you can, I would be a very happy man.

jiminy criquet

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 03:55:36 PM »
deucedaddyj,
Thanks for the complement.  The truth is that simply by hanging around on this planet long enough and keeping your eyes and ears open you'll pick tons of information...much of it useless :)

In other words, 'wisdom' is generally directly linked to age...and it can happen to anyone :)

The one thing I haven't learned, however, is when to keep my big mouth shut :)

Offline deucedaddyj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 04:19:30 PM »
The one thing I haven't learned, however, is when to keep my big mouth shut :)

I have a bit of trouble with that myself.... ;)

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 08:51:00 PM »
Success!!!

Well, I got that one revolver cylinder pin shaped up and now the Konverter sits perfectly.

Both revolvers need a bit of a "tune up" here some time, but, I plan on taking them out to the range Thursday, time permitting.

Thanks for the tip! I put a nice 1/8" bevel on each cylinder pin, then put a small amount of "taper" to them, then cleaned them up with some 00 then 0000 steel wool and 400 grit paper. They will need to be reblued (Permablue paste works well for touch up parts) and oiled, but, the cyilinders work fine.

Thanks for the help!!!

Offline Williewheelgun

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 11:21:19 PM »
D W,

I had the same problem.  I bought two new Uberti '58 Remmies and ordered a pair of Walt's conversion cylinders.  One worked great while the other bound up the action.  I sent the pistolee back and got a replacement.  Same trouble.  I sent the cylinder to Walt.  He did something and returned it.  Still did not work.  Took it to my 'smith' and he said in his opinion the problem was with the cylinder.  I bought it through Dave Gullo at Buffalo Arms in Ponderay, Idaho.  It was not his problem, but when I sent it back with an explanation, he sent me a new one.

It works better, but I am still having trouble.  I am sending both Remmies and KC cylinders to a 'smith' in Oregon City, Oregon that specializes in Remmies.  Hopefully all these headaches will be gone.  It has been a year!

Willie

Offline Yankee John

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 02:07:45 AM »
Strange situation Willie.  I would recommend that you send the cylinder and gun together to Walt Kirst and ask him to send it back to you in functional/working order.  You paid the money,  you should have a working unit.

From all accounts I have ever heard, he is a very nice, upstanding guy.  And a fellow Minnesotan too.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com