Author Topic: Taylors compatibility with original  (Read 1180 times)

Offline trenches

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Taylors compatibility with original
« on: April 04, 2021, 08:23:39 AM »
How close are the Taylors repros to the original rifle? I'm asking because I can get parts from Taylors.
Would save me making some or buying some expensive original parts.
They list levers as in stock. Since all the usual suppliers seem to be out of stock I thought I'd get one of theirs.
Making that lever would be a bit of a pain. Much simpler to buy one.

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Taylors compatibility with original
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 10:23:46 AM »
Hello, Trenches:

There have been minor and major variations in the dimensions and profiles of Armisport Spencer parts over almost 20 years. When the Ken Howell built 1860 prototype Spencer in 56-50 was sent to Italy by Taylors, the goal was for Italian Spencer parts to fit originals, but that did not happen for many parts. Taylors sent Ken to Italy after the first batch had problems.  It's going to be a try and see thing.

I have seen a wide range of Armisport Spencer frame numbers from very early to within the past four years and some major parts, particularly levers and blocks were sufficiently different that they would not fit for correct block positioning and firing firing pin orientation.  I took photo's of a stunningly beautiful rifle at the Winchester facility and its lever was out of correct battery and the top of the upper block was visibly lower than normal.  One lever of a friend's Armisport carbine had to be bent to enable the firing pin to hit the primer.  I have seen Armisport levers with the lower block screw HEAD on either the right or the left side of the lever. 

If you purchase a repro lever, get one to match how the block head screw enters for your original and be sure you have the right to return it if won't easily fit.   

All the best,
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Offline trenches

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 01:10:48 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like it may be "fit" or miss situation. No stranger to that at all.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:22:04 AM »

Offline Crossdrawnj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 10:48:00 AM »
You could try Lodgewood.com.  They have an assortment of Spencer parts.  Be careful of the repo parts as they appear to be cast. When I was doing civil war reenacting, I replaced the hammer of the original Spencer with one from Taylor's.  When my good friend fitted it, there was a bit of wobble. He found a washer in his parts kit and put it on and that solved the issue and it worked great. Since I no longer reenact, I reinstalled the rimfire block. I still have to replace the original hammer. 

Offline trenches

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 11:38:27 AM »
 I bought the receiver from Lodgewood. And I just received a butt plate.
Question about the outer mag tube. Does it come out of the threaded hole at an angle? Sure looks that way. I also just got a repro outer mag tube from S&S. Finally got it screwed in most of the way. I was surprised when it was at an angle. I guess then this is correct.

Offline Crossdrawnj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 11:45:50 AM »
I wish I could help you out with your question. The friend who did my work knows these guns inside and out.  He has about five of them, rifles and carbines, and has restored several of them. He fit my centerfire block. Good luck.

Offline trenches

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 12:01:26 PM »
I'm learning about this rifle as I go along. It's fun. Never had a real Spencer in my hands before. Just old Sharps rifles. And Trapdoors.
I have a demilled Trapdoor barreled action that was s demilled back in the day. 2 melted spots on the breech face. Came with a complete breech block. One of these days I'll get the barrel off and repair the barrel. Make a sporting rifle out of it.

Offline fsrmg1

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 04:16:31 PM »
I was thinking of lightening up the trigger and wanted to rework the lock mainspring, would one from a Taylors lock work?

Offline trenches

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 05:56:03 PM »
probably. I'll find out as I bought the butt stock from Taylors.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com