Author Topic: Uberti Schofield "no touch trigger"  (Read 2213 times)

Offline LeftyLarry

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uberti Schofield "no touch trigger"
« on: December 10, 2020, 08:45:19 PM »
Now that I've experienced the "no touch trigger" of the Uberti Sxhofield No3, I am wondering was this a condition the oroginal S&W No3's had?

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Uberti Schofield "no touch trigger"
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 12:28:25 AM »
No.

Were it an issue, the Army wouldn't have adopted them.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline LeftyLarry

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 07:33:03 AM »
No.

Were it an issue, the Army wouldn't have adopted them.

Scouts Out!

George, if you happen to have an original handy..... if one simply mashed the trigger while attempting to cock the pistol was that still the case? I am certain Uberti had to make compromizes to make their internal safety work, but I can't see a way around there potentially being interference between the trigger and bolt stop when the two are interlinked as they are without a direct interface with the hammer cam lobe as on a Colt/Remington.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:57:27 PM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 11:54:37 AM »
Yes the originals operated the same way.  The internal safety has nothing to do with the trigger/bolt relationship.  I have had two originals and the lockwork and operation was the same as the Uberti.  If you throw away the internal Uberti safety the biggest difference is Uberti deleted the gas ring on the front of the cylinder making the reproduction basically useless for shooting black powder.

Offline LeftyLarry

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 12:26:35 PM »
Having gotten inside mine it looks like it's almost unavoidable given the relationship with the cylinder bolt and trigger. I am messing with an extra trigger and cylinder bolt and seeing if there might be a way to get the bolt to drop a little earlier, there isn't going to be any entirely eliminating the no touch trigger, but I think it can be made a "light touch" trigger without going too nuts.

Offline Marshall Matt Dillon

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 08:20:12 PM »
My schofields 2000 by S&W have the same “problem”

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 07:18:07 PM »
What exactly is the problem and does it affect use of the Schofields? Does it interfere with usage in any way?
Thanks
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 09:59:40 PM »
The Schofield trigger can't be held back when cocking like that of the SAA - it must be free for the action to operate.

It takes about two cylinders to get used to before it's second nature.

For some, that interrupts the course of fire.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline LeftyLarry

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 06:24:30 PM »
What exactly is the problem and does it affect use of the Schofields? Does it interfere with usage in any way?
Thanks
wM1

I am only speaking for my particar Uberti Schofield, but if the trigger is not allowed to come fully forward when engaging the half cock notch the cylinder bolt will not drop far enough to allow the cylinder to rotate, this necessitates fropping the hammer slightly in order to take tension off the hand that is pushing the cylinder which is now bound up on the cylinder bolt.

My hope is to take my pistol from a "no touch" trigger to a "lite touch" trigger by playing with the geometry of the interface of the trigger/ cylinder bolt. If things work out then the cylinder bolt will be depressed when the trigger is about 75% e gaged in the half cock notch. As Scout pointed out, the trigger can't be mashed on the S&W knockoffs like it can on a SAA clone.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com