Author Topic: Matching numbers.  (Read 1742 times)

Offline 44dude

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Matching numbers.
« on: April 07, 2020, 06:16:55 PM »
Hello.  New dude here.  New to USFA guns also.  Had a question.  Do the USA guns have matching serial numbers on all parts? Do the hammer, barrel, cylinder have part or all of serial number?  I realize there will be assembly numbers that are different from serial numbers on some of these parts.
Thanks for any help.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
Re: Matching numbers.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 10:30:11 AM »
As far as I know you only get matching numbers on all parts with the military marked USFA single actions. Examples I know about are the Custer Battlefield and Nettelton cavalry guns.

And welcome to the forum,
Dave

Offline 44dude

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 08:54:30 AM »
Thanks for the reply and for the welcome.  I have a gun with a cylinder and bushing that have a different serial number.  Even though the gun appears un-fired it looks like someone switched out the cylinder and bushing from another gun.  It has a VERY large B/C gap also.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:26:09 AM »

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 10:10:07 AM »
If you know, what model is it and what features does it have (caliber, barrel length, finish, etc). That might give us enough info to help you figure it out.

Dave

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 02:48:50 PM »
Welcome to our forum, 44Dude!
A serial number on the cylinder would indicate one of the "military issue/Inspector Series" models.  Does your gun have a one piece wood grip and if so, is there a cartouche stamp on it?  If there is, what is it?
CJF

PS:  Things have been a little quiet around here of late.  Thanks for breathing a bit of life back into our forum!
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline 44dude

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 10:12:29 AM »
Thanks for the welcomes.  Here are some pics.  Gun is a 3.5 ejector.  BP frame.  Looks to me like someone along the line has swapped parts with this one.  Gun looked un-fired but taken apart.  I am not really a collector.  More of a shooter who collects. Stocks are basic black.

Offline 44dude

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 10:14:43 AM »
Few more.

Offline 44dude

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 10:39:06 AM »
Couple more.

Offline 44dude

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 10:31:11 PM »
I hear crickets  ;D

Offline 44dude

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 09:01:12 AM »
I actually have four to look at now.  The other three have matching cylinder's, barrel's and two of the three have matching cylinder pin bushings.  One other has a pin bushing with a completely different serial number.  Two have matching numbers on hammers.  My guess is the gun pictured has been put together with parts left over or mix and matched by a previous owner.  I suspect a barrel change at least.  Not overly concerned. Bought it to shoot and I really like the BP frame.  The gun is very nice other than a large b/c gap that is being adjusted as I write.  I have learned a lot already with just four samples. 

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 12:25:51 PM »
Bought it to shoot and I really like the BP frame.  The gun is very nice other than a large b/c gap that is being adjusted as I write.

Given the BP frame you should have left the B/C gap alone and fired black powder loads through it. (smile)

Dave

Offline 44dude

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 03:44:39 PM »
I do have quite a few BP guns I enjoy getting real dirty.  These USFA guns are to perty though.   ;D

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2020, 11:30:53 PM »
Every time I've shot BP in my USFA revolvers, and clean them carefully, they look just as pretty as they did before.

Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com