Author Topic: Not cowboy - 'They Shall Not Grow Old'  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Not cowboy - 'They Shall Not Grow Old'
« on: December 18, 2018, 09:43:04 AM »
Did anyone else see this documentary last night? It's being shown again in theaters on the 27th. I was very impressed with it.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline 38OVI

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Not cowboy - 'They Shall Not Grow Old'
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 10:25:04 PM »
Wife and I went to see it and it is really excellent, if you don't mind the British viewpoint.  It is basically the same story for any soldier on on the front lines of WW I.  If you stay for the trailer, the explanation of the process of making the film is really fascinating.  If you want more, look into inter-library loans of Lyn MacDonald's books where she uses interviews with the participants, just like you will hear in the soundtrack, which is something modern writers are now unable to do.  In 1993 we had the last reunion of the WWI  veterans, and they shared their stories. Some served at Ft. Riley and they spoke about the "old-timers" they met there while  in training who shared stories of serving in the Civil War or with Custer's 7th Cavalry.  The film, in color, gives a viewpoint of a long-gone world that our fore-bearers lived through and hopefully survived. 

Offline nagantino

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oh yeah.......
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 12:38:25 PM »
It's a great documentary. The process of colourisation is a marvel and they have slowed the movement down which produces a film that is entirety natural. It makes a war fought 100 years ago seem real and connects you to an era long gone. The testemony of the participants makes a real connection. I predict that, pretty soon, when the cost of the process becomes cheaper, we will be looking at more and more like this.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:23:56 AM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 11:59:48 AM »
My wife and I saw this in the theater yesterday.  We felt that it was excellent.  It tells the story of the experiences of average soldiers rather than telling the overall story of WW I.  We appreciated the fact that there were no historians or "talking heads"; the only voices that you hear are from interviews of the soldiers themselves.  They used lip-readers to determine some of what was being said by the soldiers in the films, then used actors to voice those words, but primarily it is the recollections of individuals involved.

After the film, there was a "behind the scenes" documentary regarding the process used to make the film.  They described the difficulty of choosing what to include, or more accurately what to exclude, from the available footage and voice recordings.  They started with hundreds of hours of material, but focused on those on the front, rather than the air corps, navy, etc.  I'd love to see more, but I appreciated being able to see what we could.

I highly recommend this film.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Jeremiah Jones

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3945
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 01:26:58 PM »
I tried to see it.  There must have been something n the air.  My eyes kept watering up.
Scouts Out!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com