Author Topic: Source for correct clothing?  (Read 7451 times)

Offline William R. Foster

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Source for correct clothing?
« on: June 12, 2018, 04:53:22 AM »
Hey all, long time no post. Im starting to get the itch again for cowboy guns and get-ups. The footage i had seen of SASS and its non-realistic styling had turned me away. Stumbled upon this style and now im back hooked. ANYWAYS, what do yall do for clothing? I cant seem to find good websites. Do most sew their own? Im not set on a period per se but have some ideas in mind. A website with a wide variety or appeals to various styles/periods would be great. Budget friendly would be a plus too as im still trying to talk the missus into this new hobby. Hahah. Thanks for any help folks.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Source for correct clothing?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 07:11:05 AM »
Good quality budget... offering starter sets - custom
Hamilton Dry Goods  >  www.hamiltondrygoods.com/

Budget minded and good quality & custom
James Country Mercantile  >  http://www.jamescountry.com/

The Gentleman's Emporium, >  https://www.historicalemporium.com/
Varity

River Junction >  https://www.riverjunction.com/
some custom , some off the rack ...

The Fort  >  https://www.fortbrands.com/  

These should get you started brousing .....

when planets align...do the deal !

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 08:00:46 AM »
Thanks! Ill give it all a look. Now to finalize on a time period and see what was worn.

Good quality budget... offering starter sets - custom
Hamilton Dry Goods  >  www.hamiltondrygoods.com/

Budget minded and good quality & custom
James Country Mercantile  >  http://www.jamescountry.com/

The Gentleman's Emporium, >  https://www.historicalemporium.com/
Varity

River Junction >  https://www.riverjunction.com/
some custom , some off the rack ...

The Fort  >  https://www.fortbrands.com/  

These should get you started brousing .....

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:23:37 PM »

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 12:45:43 PM »
You couldn't do better than Work-n-Ranch.  http://stores.worknranch.com/

My good friends Keith and Linda are great people.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 03:24:54 PM »
Oh  Gee's     :o   YES   Working Ranch !    DoH !

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 04:51:22 PM »
Wild West Mercantile in Arizona   wwmerc.com 
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 08:55:17 PM »
Thanks for all the leads guys. The time period/ persona im going for is what a ranch hand/ cowboy would wear when riding range for a ranch owner. Specifically Texas if that matters. Not sure what would qualify best for that in regards to authenticity. Vest? Trousers inside or outside of boots? Bib or button shirt? Etc. Just trying to get started off on the right foot and decrease future headache.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 12:31:21 AM »
I note from you questions ...you are sticking your toe in to test the waters  :)

here are a couple of pointers to your question

. The time period/ persona im going for is what a ranch hand/ cowboy would wear when riding range for a ranch owner.

That's fine,  OK so now a time period....classic cowboy period was rather short, from 1865 to about 1880.
NCOWS runs 1865-1898...

If you plan a Henry , 66 , or Winchester 1873, BP frame Colt ETC>  your are in the Golden era

If you plan to use a Winchester 1892 or Marlin 94  you will limit your era to the last of the passing breed.

Specifically Texas if that matters
.  It does climate & condition dictated wardrobe , so did cost & availability.

Not sure what would qualify best for that in regards to authenticity. Vest?  sure
in the Victorian era , shirt sleeve was considered less than dressed ...a vest adds to the impression, cooler than a coat and adds pockets
something most period shirts did not have.
Choose  Cotton , linen or light wool ,   skip 50/50 fabrics

Trousers inside or outside of boots?  depends on the boots,  it was done for a reason not a style...
Kept nasty critters from crawling up the leg, kept trouser out of the mud & snagging on thorns, briers etc.
Mostly Trail ....  with Mid- Calf or higher shalfs ....

Bib or button shirt? Etc.   Pull over Yoke styles ..... Button downs are way later in the 20 century

Bibs don't work with Vests , and are warmer to wear.

Just trying to get started off on the right foot and decrease future headache.

Read the NCOWS Tally book section on building an impression.

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 09:09:27 AM »
Old time cowboys did not just wear black.  the old tin type photo's did not show color differentiation well.  Yellow shows up black or dark grey in a tin type. Look on the NCOWS web site at "Creating an Outfit".  Lots of good information.

Where are you located?
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 09:39:11 AM »
Thanks yall. So my plan on armament (as i have not purchased yet), would be a Cimarron 1873 Short Rifle in 44WCF, and a mated 1873 Frontier in 44WCF (however i think they only come in the pre-war non BPF). I really enjoy the Cheyenne style of holster/belt so i plan to get that. Upon looking through the different styles and sites mentioned my initial wardrobe is this: pull over yoke style shirt in navy blue, tan trousers, dark brown vest, brown tall stovepipe style boots, linen color neckerchief/bandana, and light brown or tan hat (unsure of styling). I plan to add leather wrist cuffs as well as some worn leather work gloves stuck in belt. As time and funds allow i plan to add some weathered chaps.

Im located in Arkansas. I have another post on here regarding my persona in which the bio is at 16y i traveled south from Arkansas to Texas and resided therer working cattle ranches/ drives dealing with range wars and cross border wars.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 09:59:22 AM »
Im not 100% set on the Frontier model, but i felt like it would be a decent budget friendly option. Reviews are sparse though. I originally planned on the 1873 saddle carbine, but being left handed i didnt want to deal with the saddle ring, to their short rifle seems to be the best compromise. It also seems period correct from my investigations.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 10:14:13 AM »
Thanks yall. So my plan on armament (as i have not purchased yet), would be a Cimarron 1873 Short Rifle in 44WCF, and a mated 1873 Frontier in 44WCF (however i think they only come in the pre-war non BPF)...

The Frontier is available in black powder frame (Old Model):
https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/products/revolvers/single-actions/frontier-sa/frontier-model-1.html?caliber=210

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 10:19:56 AM »
Are there any issues with going with a BP frame? My only single action experience is with Rugers so im not used to a screw for take down as opposed to the cross pin. My concern is the screw walking out during recoil.

How incorrect is a non BP frame?

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 10:43:45 AM »
For practical purposes, the BP frame is pre 1896.  Colt used the cross pin design on the M 1877 & 1878 Double actions, and used it on the Bisley framed models starting in 1893.  You will find a few standard frame Colts in the BP era between 1893 & 1896.  (I think I have seen 3 in my 50+ years of messing with 1st Gen Colts). 
Personally I prefer 24 in barrel 1873's.  They hold more bullets.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 10:58:37 AM »
Having had a 24" Rossi 92 i did not find them to balance well. Always felt more front heavy than i liked. A friend had a 16" 92 that felt too rear heavy. I prefer my rifles to be center balanced, so i feel the 20" will be the best middle ground.

As long as there are no known long term reliability/ durability issues with the BP frame and its screws then i have no issues going with that. Especially if it makes it more period correct.

Im now trying to decide between the old model P and the frontier old model. The frontier apprently has a better action. I know i do not want the floating firing pin of the newer Ubertis. The model P is apparently Uberti and the Frontier is Pietta. Im not sure if the old model P has the Uberti floating pin like the pre-war ones. So im basically just tore. 

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 12:18:13 PM »
Having had a 24" Rossi 92 i did not find them to balance well. Always felt more front heavy than i liked. A friend had a 16" 92 that felt too rear heavy. I prefer my rifles to be center balanced, so i feel the 20" will be the best middle ground.

As long as there are no known long term reliability/ durability issues with the BP frame and its screws then i have no issues going with that. Especially if it makes it more period correct.

Im now trying to decide between the old model P and the frontier old model. The frontier apprently has a better action. I know i do not want the floating firing pin of the newer Ubertis. The model P is apparently Uberti and the Frontier is Pietta. Im not sure if the old model P has the Uberti floating pin like the pre-war ones. So im basically just tore. 

Well, a '92 is much lighter than a '73 and will balance differently.  If you get a chance to handle some '73's that would help.  But it is hard to go wrong with a 20". 

The Uberti Old Model, for the time being, still has the standard firing pin.  But you should verify that when ordering if you decide Uberti.  Most of the difference in the Pietta and Uberti actions is the lighter springs.  A spring kit in the Uberti will make it feel very much like the Pietta.  As for the base pin retention screw (from either Pietta or Uberti), if the base pin is in the correct position the screw will hold tight.  But with the two-position base pin, getting the pin in the exactly correct location can be a bit tedious.  The cure is to either replace the base pin with a "non-safety" standard pin, or grind off 1/8" or so from the rear of the pin and polish smooth.  Either way, you push the pin all the way into the frame and then the groove in the pin is located perfectly for the screw.  Do check the screw before and after shooting to make sure it is tight, but coming loose has not been a problem with mine.

Certainly nothing wrong with a Pre-War frame and few would notice the difference, but if you want to go the extra distance and be as authentic as possible for any period, the BP frame is the ticket.

Note that this info is from a non-NCOWS member, though I expect to join at some point in the future when I "retire" and am able to travel.

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 12:31:41 PM »
Thank you. I think i will go with the old model just to be safe. As long as the frontier model is still NCOWS approved ill be going with it as well i believe. Although in the back of my mind, a range hand prolly wouldnt have a slicked up action on his colt, so maybe the model P is the way to go.

Well, a '92 is much lighter than a '73 and will balance differently.  If you get a chance to handle some '73's that would help.  But it is hard to go wrong with a 20". 

The Uberti Old Model, for the time being, still has the standard firing pin.  But you should verify that when ordering if you decide Uberti.  Most of the difference in the Pietta and Uberti actions is the lighter springs.  A spring kit in the Uberti will make it feel very much like the Pietta.  As for the base pin retention screw (from either Pietta or Uberti), if the base pin is in the correct position the screw will hold tight.  But with the two-position base pin, getting the pin in the exactly correct location can be a bit tedious.  The cure is to either replace the base pin with a "non-safety" standard pin, or grind off 1/8" or so from the rear of the pin and polish smooth.  Either way, you push the pin all the way into the frame and then the groove in the pin is located perfectly for the screw.  Do check the screw before and after shooting to make sure it is tight, but coming loose has not been a problem with mine.

Certainly nothing wrong with a Pre-War frame and few would notice the difference, but if you want to go the extra distance and be as authentic as possible for any period, the BP frame is the ticket.

Note that this info is from a non-NCOWS member, though I expect to join at some point in the future when I "retire" and am able to travel.

Offline lukevanc

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2021, 03:13:14 PM »
Hey.  The cowboy theme is super. I love cowboy hats and boots myself. In general, I pick up all the clothes on the Internet. It is always of good quality and quite comfortable. You just need to clearly know what you want and be able to choose the right size. Many sites have special size hints to make it easier to choose them . I change my style of clothing quite often. At work, I need trousers and shirts, at home I like to wear hoodies, and at parties, the style of a cowboy LOL. I order clothes online from Gentleman's Guru

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2021, 03:33:28 PM »
Are there any issues with going with a BP frame? My only single action experience is with Rugers so im not used to a screw for take down as opposed to the cross pin. My concern is the screw walking out during recoil.

How incorrect is a non BP frame?

I prefer the BP frame. If you care about authenticity the only way the pre war is correct on a model P is late 1890s. You can't go wrong with a 73 rifle and a BP frame Colt style revolvers. It works for a large time period if you decide to have specific persona.

Hamilton Dry Goods is another one to look at for clothing. I believe they still have the cowboy special for trousers, shirt, bibs, and socks for 69 dollars. I have a bunch of their clothes. Matt is a great guy too.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com