Author Topic: Found an old friend  (Read 5389 times)

Offline Elmer Watson

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Found an old friend
« on: January 31, 2012, 09:26:42 PM »
As a deputy in the 1970's I carried revolvers.  Recently thanks to the Austrialian police going to semi automatics I was able to find an old friend a Smith & Wesson model 10-5 with a 3" barrel.  I am having a grand time and having many memories brought back to life.  Has anyone else found an old friend?
BOLD # 864
RATS # 373

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Re: Found an old friend
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 05:33:10 PM »
I found an old friend.  In the 80s, I was a firearms instructor and rangemaster at a PD in Washington State.  We carried 59 and 439 S&Ws, so the S&W rep brought the new 469 S&W 12 shot for us to try.  It was a prototype.  I fired it and loved, so bought one the first year they issued them for an off-duty weapon.  Had it until the late 90s and sold it when I retired from the SO, after carrying it for about 15 years.  I regretted it immediately. About a year ago, I found a mint, 2nd year production 469 and grabbed it.  I LOVE it.  Fortunately I had kept most of the mags for it.  I shot a 498/500 on the BSIS Armed qualification with it in November.  It is my daily concealed carry weapon.  It is like an old friend.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 07:27:10 PM »
One I let get away, damit!  First off-duty gun I ever bought was a S&W Model 39, 9mm.  Recently saw one at a local shop, like new in the original blue S&W box.   Should have bought it then and there but I waited a couple of days and when I went back it was gone.  Next time I won't hesitate.
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:25:37 PM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 07:15:24 AM »
My first semi-auto carry gun was a nickel plated Model 39. It was dept. issued. I offered to buy it when I left, but they were in short supply. I was unable to purchase it. I have never been able to find another.  I have since been able to purchase a 5906 and a 669.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 09:02:31 AM »
My first off duty gun was a Charter Bulldog .44 special.  Second was a Smith & Wesson Model 59.  The 469, however, has been my favorite.  Glad I found another one....
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Capt. Jack McQuesten

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 11:48:57 AM »
I started out my career as a Reserve Officer with a S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman with a 6" barrel back in the late 70's. Later on, I switched to a 4" barrel Model 28 as it was a little easier to carry.... Eventually, I foolishly sold the 6" to buy one of the new "Wonder nines" (Sig P226) and I gave my dad the 4".....

I was helping a neighbor out with some chores the other day and he knew I had been a LEO. Apparently he had been a Sheriff's Auxiliary Deputy some years back and he still had his duty sidearms. One was a S&W Model 10 with a 4" heavy barrel and the other was a brand new, in the box, S&W Model 28 with a 6" barrel! Both had been sitting in a closet for many, many years and were gummed up with old oil or grease, so you couldn't get the cylinder open on either one very easily and the actions were gummed up as well......

Fortunately, I am a S&W LEO armorer, so I brought them home and spent a couple of hours cleaning them and doing a little work on the actions for him. The ejector rod on the 6" Highway Patrolman was a little too long, causing it to not lock up properly when closing the cylinder, so a few swipes with a file, followed up with a stroke or two from a stone took care of that problem in short order. The Model 10 had been his primary duty sidearm and had a bit of holster wear on it. The Highway Patrolman looked like it had never seen leather in it's lifetime at all!   

Handling that old 'N' frame Model 28 sure brought back fond memories for me.....I still remember how awkward and heavy it was on my duty belt for the first few weeks. I think I hit every doorway and caught it on every chair I walked by or sat in for the first couple of months I carried it. I told my neighbor that, should he ever want to sell his Highway Patrolman, to please come and see me first!
SASS #56937  BOLD #527  RATS #120  WARTHOG
"There's payment to be made to them thats done this...."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com