Author Topic: BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS  (Read 1107476 times)

Offline Kid Terico

• Top Active Citizen
  • I,m to small to turn the other cheek.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: BUNKHOUSE RAMBLINGS
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2009, 10:45:50 PM »
Marshall thats a powerful little horse. Nice.Thanks for info. KT

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2009, 02:10:25 AM »
Howdy Ya'll - still grappling with the "bug" but I think I finally got her whipped - still not enough hours in the day and I just did a quick peruse of this thread...

JD -
Mark Knopfler, now there is a guitar player. If I've got the story right, he's one of the few people (Maybe the only one) Chet Atkins ever approached about doing some recording with. That's a great honor.

Chet actually played with lots of folks. As for guitarists, he cut an album with the late, great Les Paul (one of Chet's "heroes) called Chester and Lester - great music, but they also recorded it really informally so you often get to hear their comments. He cut albums with Jerry Reed,  Lenny Breau, Liona Boyd, John Knowles, John Pelland (these three plus Chet were known as the Nashville quartet), Australian guitar legend Tommy Emmanuel, and last but not least Merle Travis from whom he "learned" and adapted his style of finger picking (Merle did his picking with his thumb and forefinger only, Chet hearing him only on the radio figured nobody could do it with just two fingers so taught himself to pick using his thumb and three fingers). Chet also did a lot of guest shots on other folks albums and from all I've heard from folks who knew him, he was heck of a nice guy. In fact Tommy Emmanuel heard Chet playing as a youngster and sent him a fan letter. Chet not only replied to the letter, but sent him copies of all his records.
Scroll down at this link and you'll find a list of all Chet's work including his collaborations.......
http://wapedia.mobi/en/Standard_Brands_(Chet_Atkins_and_Lenny_Breau_album)

If you can't tell I'm a BIG fan of Chet's work.... ;D

aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2009, 10:27:57 AM »

Howdy Chuck

It's kind of hard to beat Mark Knofler and Chet Atkins, if you want a fun CD to listen too, pick up Mark and Chets CD, these pards really cook, and you can tell there friendship for one another.

It's good to hear you're starting to feel better Chuck, this flu bug has a lot of folks down.

Regards

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 04:26:35 AM »

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2009, 01:45:50 PM »
Howdy Dr. Bob

I almost missed your post, I knew you did reenacting, and that's cool, but I didn't know you did the Tango, that has to be a workout to say the least, Shake a leg pard, I should have said break a leg, but I wouldn't want you to do that, my Mom and her sister and her brother use to dance on stage back in the 1930's and 1940's, did a little tap my ownself when I was a youngster, thanks for sharing this Dr. Bob between the two you are probably a pretty busy pard.

tEN wOLVES  :D ;D

Marshal Will,

Sounds like you had a good time flying around up there, spotting fish, sounds like fun too, our neighbors boy used to spot for fish out of Ventura California,  they used a small flying device that they kept on the boat, it was powered by lawn mower type engine, there is a name for these single flying machines, in fact my neighbor ended up buying one his self later on, he was a pilot too, this plane folded up when they were through with it, and it was secured to the boat.

Good story Will

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2009, 09:58:08 PM »
Thanks, TW. I've never tried one of those ultra-lights. Some use them on tuna boats way the heck out in the ocean. I always worked within a hundred miles of shore. I have flown some small ones that were in the ultra-light class but still like little airplanes. Those other ones are a different story. They ought to be fun, though.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2009, 10:11:39 PM »
  I got some great news today that I just had to share with you guys. The zoning commission finnally came through and gave me the go ahead to start my gunsmithing business here at home . I have had to jump through some hoops but tomorrow I can finally file for My FFL and combine the leather with my first love, gun repair. ;D ;D ;D
                                                 Gun Butcher
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Offline Kid Terico

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
GB glad for you. Its about time some comission or council did something for the indivigual.  It usually goes the other way KT

Offline Kid Terico

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2009, 10:50:12 PM »
Marshall have you ever been to Oshkosh Wisc. to the experimental air show? It is well worth the time. Went about 15 years ago and got to ride the Concort. Now thats a rush. $1500.00 for 20 minutes. Spendy but fun. KT

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2009, 01:15:25 AM »
Will ya be slickin up 92s? :)
Bunch a ole scudders!

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2009, 05:36:24 AM »
Congratulations Gun Butcher  ;D ;D ;D

That's good news pard, I hope it all goes well for you, :D ;D

Regards

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2009, 08:04:57 AM »
Howdy GB,

Here's wishing you the every best in your new endeavor. That's great to be able combine leather working and gunsmithing together in one business, a perfect combination!
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • New Life Church Website
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2009, 08:39:35 AM »
Congrats GB, we need more good gunsmiths. One of my best friends is a really good 'smith, and he has all the business he can handle. He does the majority of work for our club, which has over 50 members. I hope the same result for you! JD
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2009, 09:45:01 AM »
  Thank you all for your good wishes. It was a long time coming but it will be worth it. Gunsmithing has been a hobby for years and I have bought every old nonworking gun that I could find cheap and made them work again which is a real kick for me. Getting something to work again the way it was designed is like a cool drink of water to a thirsty man, I just love it.

Rick, as luck would have it I picked up a "92" in 44 mag about five years ago from a guy who took it apart and couldn't get it back together. I offered to get it up and running for him but he didn't want anything else to do with it . I gave him the 100 he was asking and about an hour later I had me one sweet ,at the time, brush gun for deer.When I got interested in CAS I went back in and slicked it up and she runs pretty durn good now.  If I could afford the ammo. :o ;D
                                                                             Gun Butcher
Lost..... I ain't never been lost...... fearsome confused fer a month er two once... but I never been lost.
Life is a Journey, the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2009, 11:28:53 AM »
Howdy GB,
Glad things are working out, and hope that you get all the work you want!!
just wanted to tell you all, that I havn't been on much, and that I hope I havn't missed anybody work!! I just don't feel good, so I am not on the net much!! Maybe someday, If I ever get to go to a doctor, I will feel better and get back to everday buiness!
You all keep up the good work!!!!
Later
ACE
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2009, 05:06:16 PM »
That's really cool, GB. You can now get a couple guns in, slick 'em up and send them back with a rig to match. :D

Kid, I haven't been to Oshkosh yet. We have some great airshows here, though. Watsonville on one side and Salinas on the other. Great fun.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline outrider

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2009, 05:55:02 PM »
GB,  Good luck with your new endevor.  Glad you got all the red tape out of the way and are on the road to being a licensed gun dealer/smith.

I have been slicking up 92's for about five years now...seems most people are either not mechanically inclined or are afraid of taking one apart...once you do it it comes easy.  All of my main SASS battale rifles are 92's and with the exception of the one my wife uses are all in .45 Colt.

Speaking of .45's    yeeehaaaaaawwwwwwwww my two new sequencially numbered New Model Vaquero Bisleys arrived today.  I will use them at our monthly shoot on Sat. and let you know how they do.  I have been waiting for 8 months for these babies to get here.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2009, 06:33:20 PM »
 Howdy Marshal

I forgot to ask if you still flew, and do you still have your plane, with that snazzy paint job, your plane looks a lot like the plane my friend use to use when doing aerial photography for a Company, being able to fly, would be nice when trying to make some of these Shoots in different states. Just wondered,  ???

Regards

tEN wOLVES

Howdy Outrider

Wow you finally got them, let us know how they are, and post some pictures of them baby's, GOOD FOR YOU  ;D

Regards

tEN wOLVES  :D ;D

Offline Gun Butcher

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2009, 07:01:29 PM »
  Way to go Outrider. They ought to give you all clean stages just for having them babies.

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2009, 07:40:47 PM »
GB,  Good luck with your new endevor.  Glad you got all the red tape out of the way and are on the road to being a licensed gun dealer/smith.

I have been slicking up 92's for about five years now...seems most people are either not mechanically inclined or are afraid of taking one apart...once you do it it comes easy.  All of my main SASS battale rifles are 92's and with the exception of the one my wife uses are all in .45 Colt.

Speaking of .45's    yeeehaaaaaawwwwwwwww my two new sequencially numbered New Model Vaquero Bisleys arrived today.  I will use them at our monthly shoot on Sat. and let you know how they do.  I have been waiting for 8 months for these babies to get here.

I ain't afraid of takin mine apart,i'm afraid of puttin it back together :-[ And i ain't got no smithy anywhere close to me..Sure would like to slick it up some too.
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline outrider

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2009, 07:44:58 AM »
Gun Click...

Go to a website called marauder.com.  He has complete procedures on how to dis-assemble and then re-assemble the 1892 rifles.  Also, go to Brownells and order their spring kit  #100-000-512 (Lee's Gunsmithing) $24.95.  I have used this spring kit on at least 20 to 25 92's that I have slicked up.  You won't be sorry.

Have fun
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com