Author Topic: The Last Patrol  (Read 302657 times)

1stSgt Fritz King

Re: The Last Patrol
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2006, 06:32:45 PM »
Fritz was surprised when he met her at the door.  He shouldn't have been.  It WAS their home after all.  He put the rifle in the corner, against the wall, and took his wife's hands.

"Honey, we need to talk."

Scarlet was taken aback for a moment.  Did he know?

He led her to the kitchen table, and sat her down.  It was then that she noticed the open telegram.  He eyes fell on one word...

...RECALLLED.

"What does this mean?"

Fritz sat down beside her.  "It means I've been recalled to active service.  The Second needs me.  My old C.O. asked for me by name."

He waited for her response.

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2006, 08:58:30 PM »
Scarlet took a deep breath and let the words sink in. She wanted to tell him she needed him too, but she would not guilt him into anything. She’d watched what that would do to people. He’d already given up that part of his life once for her, she’d not ask him to do it again.

“When do you have to leave?” She asked softly.
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2006, 09:30:06 PM »
He expected more...he hoped for more of a fight.  Scarlet was so hot tempered, he thought she'd be angry.  It would have been easier that way.  Maybe he thought if she fought, he'd be more inclined to stay.  "Scarlet must be sick," Fritz thought.

"Fort Fetterman is about 800 miles away.  It's in the middle of Wyoming Territory.  The old ditty used to say, 'forty miles a day on beans and hay.'  I'm not sure I can make that, but I can try."

"Maybe you can take the rails part way," Scarlet said.  He voice was quiet...small.  "You didn't answer the question."

"In the next couple of days," Fritz replied.   

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 01:39:06 PM »

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2006, 10:18:05 PM »
Scarlet squeezed his hand tightly. When their eyes met he could see she was burying some emotion, anger, fear, he didn’t know for sure. She looked down at the table where the telegram sat.

“I’m guessing that actively campaigning against hostile forces means it’s not a family trip and I am familiar with a saying that goes something like ‘if we thought you needed a wife you would have been issued one.’” 

Her eyes came back up to his. “You asked me once if I knew what it meant to marry a soldier, perhaps better than anyone knows.”

Scarlet sat back in the chair gritting her teeth for a moment causing the muscles in her jaw to flex. Women, whiskey and outlaws she knew how to fight, this was different.
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2006, 01:38:53 PM »
"I can't ask you to go with me," Fritz replied.  "It's gonna be dangerous.  General Crook has been battling the Sioux for months now, and the weather's gotten the better of him.  Conditions will be...harsh."

He didn't know if she knew what soliders on campaign were like.  They could be a smelly, nasty, violent bunch.  Living conditions were cramped at best.  Crook was known for campaigning with pack mules only.  That meant no tentage.  No privacy.  And army fare wasn't the healthiest food, for man nor beast.  Most was probably surplus hardtack from the war, as well as beans, saltpork, and coffee.  And he knew that under desparate situations, they'd subsist on horsemeat.

Fritz finally asked, "Honey...are you allright?"

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2006, 09:49:56 PM »
Scarlet’s eyes narrowed slightly at Fritz’s question.

“No.” She said flatly.

“What is it?” Fritz asked softly, concerned there was something going on he did not know about.

“I love you to much to be angry with you and I don’t care much for the taste of hating someone I’ve never laid eyes upon. You’re C.O….well it’s not important what I think of him, I know you think well of him.”

Scarlet new Fritz thought highly of his C.O. and it would do no good to pick a fight. Perhaps the man was as smart as some said, after all if she was fighting ‘hostiles’ she’d want her best people with her. Still so close to retirement it was frustrating.

"I have something I want to do that will take a couple of hours. When I get back maybe I can help you get your stuff togeather and we can spend some time togeather before you have to leave."

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2006, 06:25:22 PM »
"Please...don't go," Fritz said.

Scarlet's determination showed clearly on her face.  "I won't be long," she replied, as she swung into the saddle.  Scarlet was moving away at a gallop, and quickly crossed over the hill.

"Damn..."

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2006, 07:18:48 PM »
Scarlet had stood up, kissed Fritz sweetly, went to the bedroom and retrieved her gun belt. Pulling the knife from its sheath she inspected it for sharpness. She didn’t know why, habit maybe, it was always razor sharp. Scarlet replaced the knife to where she’d worn it on her gun belt for as long as she’d carried it.

Going to her trunk  Scarlet retrieved the old Dragoons and the shoulder holsters. After she put them in place she picked up her saddlebags and inspected them for the everything she needed to shoot the guns she was wearing. Once the saddle bags were filled to her satisfaction Scarlet went out the door to get Lucky.

Her mood was dark and she needed the release Ella had spoke of before she couldn’t control herself anymore. “Going to be dangerous” He said…what the hell did he think she did for a living? “Need to tell him.” Ella had said. Just the thing to make for a happy home. Scarlet thought.

“Please don’t go” she’d heard him say. She’d replied with the first thing that came to mind. She needed space away from people and she needed it now.

Lucky raised his head and nickered as she came out the door. Scarlet put the saddlebags in their place and mounted up. Backing Lucky away from the rail she wheeled him around and started out at a gallop.

The whinny of the old mare caught her attention. Pulling Lucky to a stop she looked over her shoulder. Gypsy paced the fence her head up and her eyes bright. Scarlet could see the mare bobbing her head up and down as she pressed her chest against the gate.

“What the hell.” She said aloud and spun Lucky back towards the corral. Reaching the gate Scarlet reached down and unlatched it. The mare bolted through as if to escape before Scarlet changed her mind. Scarlet picked up the mare’s halter and then followed after her.

At the pace they had gone it took no time at all to reach the range Scarlet liked to practice on. It had grown quiet elaborate over the years complete with swinging targets. Horse and rider could really be put through their paces.

Scarlet slowed Lucky and rode the course making sure nobody would be in the line of fire, setting the targets as she went. Once it was clear and set she took the halter and rope, put it on Gypsy and dropped the lead to the ground so the mare would stay where she was put.

Hearing fire from the range Bo turned his horse and headed towards the sounds. He pulled his horse up where he wouldn’t be noticed. Bo always enjoyed watching folks run the course and wasn’t surprised to see it was Scarlet. What he was surprised to see the pace she was moving through the course. She would normally ride Lucky fast but she seemed to be asking him for everything he had. It really was a pleasure to watch horse and rider completely in tune neither one missing at beat.

As they reached the end of the course she drew her knife and sunk it into the dummy slicing the chest. Lucky slid to a stop, spun around and headed back down the course, his ears up and tail high as fast as he could go.
The report of the Dragoons was unmistakable. Bo counted enough shots she had to be carrying both of them. Strange he thought, she often carried one but not both.

As he watched he noticed she seemed to be riding more aggressively with each run. 

Scarlet brought Lucky to a hard stop next to Gypsy, dismounted, reloaded her guns and replaced the spend shells in her belt, grabbed the rope, a handful of mane and swung onto the mares back.

Gypsy headed down the course at a full gallop. Bo winced as he watched her ride past the dummy and sink her knife into its groin tearing the abdomen apart.

Scarlet pulled Gypsy to a stop while she reloaded. The mare jigged in place, one would never guess how old the horse really was. Scarlet kicked the mare into a gallop, emptying the Dragoons into the targets as they went. As they neared the dummy Scarlet drew her knife again and urged Gypsy faster. A blood curdling yell could be heard as Scarlet’s knife sunk into the neck of the dummy.  As horse and rider passed by the head of the dummy bounced to the ground.

Bo pushed his hat back as he watched. “She must be in a vile mood” he said aloud.

Gypsy stopped not far from where the head had bounced to a stop. Scarlet slid off, picked up the head and threw it as hard as she could against the tree. She wondered if it would be any different if she was normal. If she could be like other women and give the man she loved a family.

She’d beheaded her demon and taken his heart but he still haunted her.

Scarlet walked back over to Lucky and mounted back up, reloaded and looked down the course. She sneered a bit as a vision of Fritz’s C.O. danced through her mind. She kicked Lucky and headed back down the course.

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2006, 08:47:47 PM »
He felt hurt.  There was nothing he could do.  Orders were orders, and he was still a soldier.  He took the Berdan out to the shop.  The wrapped package with Scarlet's present was still tied to his saddle.  That'd have to go inside.

Fritz set the rifle on the bench.  He opened the breech, and puled out a bottle of solvent.  As he worked, his mind wandered.  Old voices filled his head.  Old soldiers, long dead, were calling his name.  And then, another voice...younger.  One he didn't recognize.

"She's afraid you'll leave her...for the Army."

"That won't happen," Fritz replied, as he ran a patch down the bore.

"She's afraid you won't come back," the man whispered.  "That your luck will run out"

"No one knows for sure...God will take me when he's ready."

"Maybe you should stay...I would've."

Fritz laid the rifle down and slowly turned.  For a moment, he saw a tall man with crossed gunbelts.  The large butts of Dragoons stuck from the holsters.  He'd seen those guns before. 

He'd just seen them...on Scarlet.       

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2006, 10:27:13 PM »
Her hands were sore again by the time Scarlet stopped, there was only enough ammunition left to load the guns twice each if she needed to, both horses were tired but wound up from the energy.

She peeled off her gloves, one of her hands had raised a blister from the day’s abuse, but she felt better, besides she had cream for just such a thing back at the house.

Scarlet looked at what was left of the dummy. She’d fix that after Fritz was gone, she’d have a lot of time on her hands in the coming months. Swinging up onto Gypsy’s back she headed for home.

Scarlet figured Fritz would be gone for his birthday so she rode to Dr. Bill’s lab and get the pistol Fritz had been looking for earlier. She smiled at the thought hoping he’d be pleased with the alterations she had had done to it. Bill had showed it to her before he and Patches had left to go back east. He’d finished the mechanics of it. She supposed the cosmetic parts would have to wait until Fritz came home.

Scarlet saw the door to the shop open when she rode up. She quickly unsaddled Lucky and turned him into the corral with Gypsy.

Fritz sat with his back towards the door. The rifle was cleaned and sat on the table in front of him. Without seeing his face she knew his mind was taking him places by the way he sat.

Fritz turned slowly at the sound of her footsteps. Scarlet stopped in the doorway, she almost felt like she was intruding on him. She supposed she deserved it after her actions earlier.

“I have something I was planning to give you for your birthday, but I don’t know if you’ll be back by then so I’d like to give it to you now, it can wait if you’re busy.” She said softly.

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2006, 05:19:52 PM »
..."It can wait if you're busy."

The image shimmered in his mind for a moment.  He closed his eyes to focus.  When he opened them, the Dragoons were still there.  But they were back on Scarlet's hips, where they belonged.

"Ah...no.  Now would be just fine," Fritz replied.  "It'd take my mind off things."

"Penny for your thoughts?"

"Maybe later.  Whatya got there?"

He recognized the piece of doeskin.  It had held many presents in the years they'd been together. 

"I hope you like it.  It's not quite done," Scarlet said, "but it's done enough."

She handed the package over.  Fritz unwrapped the gift.  He smiled.  "So there it is."

The first thing he noticed was the grip.  Bill had reconfigured it.  Instead of the traditional plough handle, it was gracefully curved at the base.  He slipped it into his hand.  It felt different...not bad, just different.   

"Bill told me he copied from the British Webleys.  It's called a 'bird's head."

The next thing he noticed was the the ejector rod.  Somehow, Bill had put a full-length ejector rod on the barrel.  At only three and a half inches, it was a short rod, but it would do the trick.

"I'd told him to put ivory stocks on it, and to have it engraved," Scarlet said.  "He went east with Patches before it got done.  We didn't expect this.  Cosmetically, it still needs some work.  But mechanically, it's just fine."

Fritz turned the pistol in his hand.  He noticed the markings on the barrel.  They read, ".45 Colt."

"He converted it!  Where did he get the parts.?"

Scarlet smiled again.  "Your friend Keith out at the fort was very helpful."

Fritz put the pistol down, and pulled his wife close.  "Thank you!  I love it!  And I Love You."

They kissed.

"Since we're in a gift giving mood, I suppose I should let you have your present now."

"MY present?"  Scarlet was confused.  "But my birthday..."

Fritz interupted.  "I know.  But I can never surprise you.  I figured I'd leave it in plain sight, and just drive you nuts for a month or two."

He took her by the hand and led her out to his mount.  Fritz untied the parcel and handed it over.  Scarlet's face lit up like a child's on Christmas morning.  She tore at the paper with equal enthusiasm.  When she opened it, she gasped.

"Is this what I think it is?"

Fritz smiled.  "Yep.  I knew you'd want one of the first ones."

She asked, "How did you get it?"

"I have some friends...well, Johnny has some friends."

She turned the carbine over in her hands.  It was marked "Winchester 1876."       

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2006, 08:19:50 PM »
Scarlet shouldered the rifle it fit perfectly.

If he was giving this to her now she figured it meant he didn’t think he’d be back in time for their anniversary. She had wondered how long he’d be gone after she saw the telegram. Fritz would just have to wait for that gift, Bo was only half done with it.

Scarlet had done some reading about the new rifle and looking at this one she knew it had been ordered with a few of the options. She favored the octagon barrel over the round and the pistol grip stock over the straight, Vernier and Windgauge sights and the tiger stripe wood was breath taking.

“Why Mr. Fritz, I do believe you have a keen sense when it comes to knowing what your lady likes.” She said with a grin.

“Thank you.” She whispered just before she kissed him. 

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2006, 11:23:04 PM »
They made love many times that night.  There was an urgency to their lovemaking.  Each kiss was like the first...

...or the last.

At long last they fell exhausted into each other's arms.  But sleep did not come easily.  They held each other close, saying little.

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2006, 09:53:34 AM »
The sunrise came much too soon.

“Good morning.” Scarlet said kissing Fritz sweetly.

He pulled her close; his eyes sparkled as he smiled at her.

Scarlet had sworn to herself she’d make sure Fritz carried memories of her smile with him, from the way he smiled at her now she knew he’d take memories of more than just a smile. 

Scarlet returned his impish grin. She’d have very sweet memories to recall on the lonely nights to come also.

She traced her fingertips along his jaw line. “Where ever you go you take my heart with you.” Scarlet slipped the horn and turquoise fetish she wore from her neck and put it around his.

Fritz couldn’t remember her ever taking it off. He started to object. “Don’t” She said softly.

“Scarlet.” He started again. He knew it was much more than just a piece of jewelry she wore. It was more than a gift her father had given her along time ago. Scarlet didn’t wear a cross she wore this. 

She cut off his objection “When he gave it to me he said it would guide me in my travels, protect me from injury, danger and possession by evil spirits. I believe it must work because I am still here and I know there have been times over the years I should not.”

She could see the concern in his eyes. “There is another that hangs on Lucky’s bridle, I will wear that one. If that is what is causing this look in your eyes.” Scarlet thought on it a moment. They had never really discussed religion, although she knew Fritz carried a bible and he knew she did not. “If you are uncomfortable wearing it and would rather give it back Sweetheart I understand.” 

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2006, 10:48:25 PM »
They enjoyed a good breakfast of bacon, eggs, biscuits and coffee.  Scarlet was an accomplished cook.  His campaign trousers were a little snug, but that would not be a problem for long.  Fritz sipped his coffee, and fingered the fetish around his neck.  He swore to his love that he'd never take it off.

"Please don't hate him," he said.

Scarlet set her spoon down.  "What?  Who?"  How could he know?

"Don't hate Captain Bill," Fritz replied.  "I never really told you much about my time with the Second.  It was my first and only unit.  I've only been away from it while serving at Jefferson Barracks...and during our time in Mexico.  It was the only home I ever knew...until now."

Scarlet sat down beside him, and took his hand.

"I was too young to fight in the Mexican War.  I joined that Cavalry in '56.  It was then I met Captain Schurman, my C.O.."

"Wait a minute," Scarlet said.  "You mean to tell me your C.O. was William Tecumseh Sherman?"  No wonder she hated him!

"No.  No, of course not.  Bill Schurman had been in the Army a long time.  He called himself a 'long service Captain.'  I guess he figured he'd pissed so many people off, he'd never get promoted.  His career would've ended, if not for the war.  We rode East, and made quite a record for ourselves.  There was no way they could get rid of him now."

She saw that far away look in his eyes again.

"In the Shenandoah in '64, we ran into an ambush.  Captain Bill was pretty shot up.  I rode in without thinking.  Ranger was still young and plenty strong.  I pulled him up on my McClellen and rode out.  Took two pistol balls for my trouble.  That's where the medal came from."

Scarlet recalled the inverted star he wore on his dress uniform.

"Anyway, Captain Schurman fought the rest of the war from a hospital room.  He put me in command on the spot.  A battlefield promotion.  Breveted a Lieutenant.  I had the honor of leading the men at the Grand March.  Bill worked some magic, and got me that position at the Barracks.  But a desk job didn't suit me.  It was like a death sentence."

He squeezed her hand.  "And the rest you know."       

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2006, 09:47:04 AM »
“Be cautious of all people and remember to never judge them by the way the look but by the actions they take” Scarlet said thoughtfully. “Dad told me that along time ago.”

Her eyes met his and she smirked. “Why you think he was so agitated when I started lookin’ your way Darlin’. Makes him madder ‘n a wet hen when ya use his own wisdom against him.” She chuckled softly.

“I’m glad you listened to Johnny about that.” Fritz smiled back at her.

Her voice became serious again. “I understand him wanting you there Fritz, especially after what you’ve said. There are certain people I choose to ride with me depending on the task at hand. I will not hate him for that.”

“I’m irritated he has found where I tried to hide you. Apparently out of sight out of mind does not hold true with this one.” She said a bit teasingly.

Scarlet leaned forward and placed her fingertips on the fetish and his chest. “This does not deflect bullets. That I can tell you for sure, I’ve been reminded of it to often. So maybe think a little before you ride in. That's all I can ask because dad also taught me don't ask anything of anybody you wouldn't do yourself."

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2006, 07:40:12 AM »
Once the breakfast dishes were cleared, Fritz pulled a tablet and pencil from the cupboard.  He sat down and wrote two letters.  The first one read:

"To Marshal Tensleep Ross, U.S. Marshal, El Paso, Texas.

Dear 'Sleep,
I've been recalled to active duty with the second Cavalry.  Whatever happens, I intend this to be my last patrol.  Please consider me for hire as a permanent Deputy Marshal upon my return.
Respectfully,
Fritz
P.S.  Please look in on Scarlet from time to time."

He folded this letter and pinned his badge to it.  With a strange feeling of Deja Vu, he started the second letter.  It read:

"Last Will and Testament.

I Frederick H. King, being of sound mind and body, hereby bequeath all that I own, all that I have, all that I AM, to my dear wife Scarlet.  As to my remains, Scarlet may dispose of them in any manner that she sees fit.
Signed,
Frederick H. King, El Paso, Texas
April 7th, 1876."

He folded this letter and placed it back in the cupborad, with the tablet.     

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2006, 12:08:00 AM »
He'd checked the girthstraps twice.  Buddy was set up with a pack saddle and saddle blanket.  He carried the supplies, as well as Fritz's Berdan.  There were oats for the horses, and a brand-new tarred haversack with some of Ella's cookies in it.  Much better, not to mentione healthier than Army fare.  There were extra blankets, a medilcal kit, and some salt, as well as a canvas water bag.  Strider was rigged with the McClellen, and a scabbard for his '66.  The sky blue greatcoat was strapped to the front, and a valise with spare clothes on the back.  The saddlebags contained coffee, jerky and ammo...
...lots of ammo.

He was ready.

Fritz ran his hand across the smooth butt of the convereted short barrel.

"Ni Itzo!"  Yellow Arm.

Fritz spun about as he heard his name, his Lakota name, called out.

There stood his friend Grey Eagle.  "Ni Itzo...where are you going?"

"I've been recalled," Fritz said.  "I go to fight with the Cavalry."

Grey Eagle came forward.  "Then...your time has come."

Fritz reached for his arm.  "Take care of Scarlet for me."

Fritz rode Strider to the porch to say goodbye.   

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2006, 10:09:12 AM »
Scarlet stepped off the porch as Fritz approached. He dismounted and they embraced one another.

“Good” Fritz started to say only to be cut off by her kiss.

“I will miss you.” She said softly “goodbye is bad luck unless there is no intention of seeing one another again.”

Scarlet would have liked to tell him she would be here waiting for him when he returned but she knew she wouldn’t. The walls had already started to close in around her and the voices from the past had already made their presence known. She gave herself a few nights in the house before she’d either be back at the Starr or living in Bo’s house again. Perhaps she would ask Tensleep for a field assignment.

“I’ll not watch you ride away either and don’t look back it’s..”

Fritz chuckled “I know bad luck.”

Scarlet smiled as she ran her fingers gently across his cheek. “Take care of yourself Darlin’ and if you think you hear my voice on the wind it is because I am talking to you.” 

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2006, 06:33:58 PM »
He touched her cheek, and felt her warmth.  He'd miss that in the days to come.  He swung into the saddle, and wheeled Strider towards the road.  Buddy fell into step with them as they headed up the small hill.  At the crest, he stopped, and turned in the saddle.

Scarlet had gone inside the house, and closed the door.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com