Author Topic: Colt clones with the 1877 grip frame - thoughts?  (Read 5740 times)

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Colt clones with the 1877 grip frame - thoughts?
« on: December 05, 2015, 06:59:43 AM »
So I went to my local gun shop and found a large number of Uberti pistols, to my delight. One in particular that caught my eye was a SAA clone with a cavalry length barrel and 1877 style birds head, checkered grips. .45 Colt caliber. The action was nice and smooth, and it's unique enough to make me immediately intrigued. I've got permission from my wonderful wife to get it for my birthday if I want, but I figured I'd try and get some information before I forked over the money.

What do you all think of those particular grips with a bigger caliber? I imagine heavy recoil wouldn't be too pleasant, but I just don't have the experience with them to know.

Thanks for your time!
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
Re: Colt clones with the 1877 grip frame - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 10:12:05 AM »
unique and intriguing as it may be...it is a fantasy....

I see you are member of the GAF, I do not believe it is recognized...
I'm sure it is not in NCOWS....
Course, if that is not your plan, and SASS is the Discipline , you'll be fine, though may take some getting used too.

The Lightening grip is comfortable for small to medium hands ... as shooter they actually offer a secure feel...

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 11:13:46 AM »
I've got my GAF firearms set already ('75 Remmie clone and an original (if slightly battered) trapdoor), this is more of a "Huh, this looks kind of fun" purchase. I know there isn't any real history, but I've always loved things that were a bit different than what everyone else has, you know? Debating between this an a Navy Arms .44 Russian S&W clone.

See, I liked the feel of it, but I'm wondering if those grips would still feel nice if I were running some full powered BP loads (2F Olde Eynesford) through it. Recoil on those is certainly noticeable in my Remington, so I just want to avoid spending money on a gun and realizing I don't care much for shooting it.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:34:20 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 01:04:22 PM »
I actually have a hard time attempting an answer to this one.  I've shot about every grip configuration available for SA reproductions, including the "Thunderer" grip you mention.  The problem is, everyone reacts to recoil differently.  Some are sensitive wimps (like me), some revel in the "thump" (masochists) and one size doesn't fit all. 
I started CAS a loooooong time ago and my first pair of guns were Cimarron Thunderer, 3 1/2 inch barrels, 45 Colt.  Full case loads were
a real experience.  The thunderer does not allow the gun to "roll" back in the hand.  Just comes straight back.  THUMP!  Snaps the wrist up and away.
I currently have one of my sets of Cap Gun Snubbies with Thunderer style grips on em.  Nice to look at, Fun to shoot, not so swell for a Gunfighter.  I personally think the Thunderer grip would look "funny" with a 7 1/2 inch barrel (personal thing there). 
The only thing I can really say, you pays yer money .... you takes yer chances.  Dunno.

Coffinmaker

llanerosolitario

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 05:50:31 AM »
It is a grip designed for a double action trigger that adds nothing but problems in a single action. In my case I hold the revolver very high to keep the sigths as low as possible over the hand, which is good for pure accuracy.  It also lets my short fingers to reach trigger comfortably.

the 1873/51  traditional grips are among the most comfortable grips ever designed.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1229
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 08:43:34 AM »
It is a grip designed for a double action trigger that adds nothing but problems in a single action....

You are a very opinionated guy.  Maybe we all are.  I love the Thunderer grip, and I shoot it very well.  It is roughly based on the old double action grip but has some differences.  I even put Thunderer grips on my 5 1/2" '51 Richards-Masons for a few years and shot those very well.  Many, many mounted shooters, particularly women and including the only woman to beat all of the men at the World Championship, use the Thunderer grip. 

As I often say, if we all liked the same thing it would be pretty boring.

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 08:55:17 AM »
 My Dad picked up a couple of ASM .44 Special's, one of which was a 5 1/2" with the birds head grip. I agree with Coffinmaker, recoil with a 258 gr. bullet at 900 or so fps smacked the palm of the hand smartly. I've fired literally thousands of the same load in revolvers with standard SA grips and find the recoil not uncomfortable in the least.  YMMV...

CHT

llanerosolitario

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 09:36:19 AM »
You are a very opinionated guy.  Maybe we all are.  I love the Thunderer grip, and I shoot it very well.  It is roughly based on the old double action grip but has some differences.  I even put Thunderer grips on my 5 1/2" '51 Richards-Masons for a few years and shot those very well.  Many, many mounted shooters, particularly women and including the only woman to beat all of the men at the World Championship, use the Thunderer grip. 

As I often say, if we all liked the same thing it would be pretty boring.

let´s not forget that they shoot recoiless blanks in that sport.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com