Author Topic: A couple of questions for those going to the 2008 Muster  (Read 8058 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
A couple of questions for those going to the 2008 Muster
« on: January 04, 2008, 06:34:39 PM »
It's a bit early yet, but I'm doing some planning and thinking about the menus.  Ciolonel Pitspizer was in the other day and presented me with a 20" cast iron skillet he came up with somewhere, I also have to 15' ones so one item I am thinking about is chicken/country fried steak now that I can do a very large amount of it.

I know some of you have eaten in my cook camps before, some read Cosie's Corner and my column in The Shootist and have some idea of the dishes I like to fix.  So what I would like to ask is if anyone has some thoughts on what I should fix?  Also if anyone has any food allergies or religious reasons as why they can't eat a certian dish let me know and I'll sure try to acommodate.  If you don't want to post this, no problem, just send me a PM.

Most times my menus are to different main dishes, fresh bread and a dessert.  If I do one kind of meat in a main dish, I like to do another in the other.  I do use lard in my cooking and baking, mostly as shortening in the bread.  This should not be a problem for someone watching cholesteral because the amount used is small and less is needed than if you use a vegtable shortening since it is a better shortening.  Most times I do not do a lot of fried foods.

The fried steak, I'm up in the air on if to use lard or not.  I have low cholesteral so I use it at home when I make it since my wife also has low cholesteral.  But I will toss this idea out to you folks as to what to do about the frying, I prefer to do as PC as possible but this is one I don't mind bending a little on.  I will say though, the steak will be better in lard, most times for those with problems, a little being careful before and after means a weekend of not behaving is not a problem.

I plan on bumping this from time to time and not deciding for sure on the menu till a couple weeks before.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
Re: A couple of questions for those going to the 2008 Muster
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 09:29:30 PM »
I really liked that Rice and Chicken that you fixed at Rock Creek.
My only complaint about your bread rolls is that portions were too large. I saw a lot of half eaten rolls go into the trash bucket. Rather than making them softball size you could half that.

Chicken-fried steak sounds really good, maybe with baked whole apples sprinkled with cinamon and baked potatoes/carrots/onions medley.

And it is against my religion to drink coffee that makes me see the light. ::) (I still have the shakes, . . . .or is it the drizzles?,. . . .from that Turkish expresso you brewed.)

Actually I think the key ingredient in the month of October is that it is served hot.

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 03:36:10 PM »
There are really only 3 kinds of food I like:
Hot, Cold, and warm!  ;D
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:10:13 PM »

Offline Shamrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 01:00:29 PM »
My cholesteral  is way too high, but I love chicken fried steak. I'd vote for the lower fat version.

A variation on what Pitsptr said, I only drink on days that end in "Y"

Regards,
Pat "Shamrock" Gannon

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 01:27:03 PM »
Got to thinking since when I do the steak I'll be running most likely 3 skillets, I can just run one with Canola Oil. 

John, Matt and I made the same dish as the chicken one in Kansas in 2005, only we used chunks of round steak.

The origins of that one is interesting, nothing really new about it, most likely something similar has been made for years.  But us cooking it started in 2002 at Rock Creek.  Often Matt and I when we cook together we buy groceries as to whats on sale and figger out what to cook out of it.  Well he bought the chicken and he told me I had to figger out what to do with it.  I tossed it in an oven and added some salt and pepper and put it on to cook.

I then told him it was his turn and he threw in some Sweet Basil and told me it was my turn, I tossed in a chopped onion, his turn, he tossed in a can of tamaters.  ;D  More folks showed up than what we had planned and the rice got added.  It was well liked and Donna, Lone Gunman's lady friend asked us in 2003 before Rock Creek if we were going to make it again.  So we did, in fact we always make it if we know Donna will be there because we get a big hug and a kiss on the cheek, in fact we call it "Donna's Chicken." ;)  Most likely will make it, no hug and kiss from you is needed. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 07:38:22 PM »
Donna's Chicken ... Most likely will make it, no hug and kiss from you is needed. ;D

Waal, dang hang it!  I wuz lookin' forward to   :o  ... never mind.  ;)

With any luck you won't fix fish.  ;D ;D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Grizzle Bear

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 08:10:30 AM »
All this talk about cholesterol is just a Government conspiracy, trying to make us all eat like foreigners instead of like Americans!

:o

I say "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!" and chicken-fry them steaks in lard the way God intended!

And fry me up some spuds to go with 'em!

Grizzle Bear

Rob Brannon
General troublemaker and instigator
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 09:50:56 AM »
Hear!  Hear!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 471
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 10:58:16 AM »
It was well liked and Donna, Lone Gunman's lady friend asked us in 2003 before Rock Creek if we were going to make it again.  So we did, in fact we always make it if we know Donna will be there because we get a big hug and a kiss on the cheek, in fact we call it "Donna's Chicken." ;) 

Now you know Donna is such a sweetheart person she passes out hugs no matter what the occasion. . .
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 11:11:50 AM »
Well, I haven't heard anything form Lone Gunman reguarding his plans for the '08 Muster, but maybe if it's made known that we're having "Donna's Chicken" she'll make him attend.  ;D

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 05:16:49 PM »
Now you know Donna is such a sweetheart person she passes out hugs no matter what the occasion. . .

Yeah, but they're extra nice when you've made the chicken dish and you get extras if there are a few leftovers and you make a Donna Bag for her to take home.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 09:41:16 PM »
Delmonico:

I have no prefernces or suggestions .... but plumb lookin' for'ard to chowin' down on yer grub agin!   ;D
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 12:03:02 PM »
Delmonico:

I have no prefernces or suggestions .... but plumb lookin' for'ard to chowin' down on yer grub agin!   ;D

Well I will bring the little copper pot, the proper dark grind of coffee and them little cups. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 12:13:32 PM »

With any luck you won't fix fish.  ;D ;D

Out in that area fresh fresh was rare, the streams ain't big enough to catch enough most times for a large crowd.  So to stay period we might be better usin' canned, I'm guessin' you don't want Salmon Loaf my friend. ;D  I do have some period cook books with it in there. ;)

Naw, most likely no salmon loaf, most often make things the cook likes. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 01:29:01 PM »
Del,  I vote for the CFS.  CFS is my favorite meat, then chili.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 04:27:50 PM »
Del,  I vote for the CFS.  CFS is my favorite meat, then chili.

No worry pard, the CFS is a for sure and I will do a few wiith out the co-lester-al, but the majority will be with lard. ;)

Chili is a favorite of mine, but chili is hard to do, you and I I bet would be fine with it as I do it, but there are some it might kill, I hate to see folks up in the night draggin' their butt across the parade ground like a dog with an ichy butt.  Of course there are some who will look at you with a straight face and ask why there are no beans. ::)  Some are even surprised when you use real meat, not the ground stuff. ;D

And of course there is a real nice fella, hangs around our coffee club group, wouldn't want to embarrass him here, but up in the north central part of the US where he lives they put elbow macaroni in their's.  Yes for real, and nnot just up in Wisconsion, it's sreads down into Ohio  and other areas. :o

Course if I were to stoop low enough to add beans, then do we use black or pinto, even if we chose one or the other, someone would expect kidney beans, who knows, there might even be some place where Lima beans is used. ;)  Nope, chili is not a good one to do when folks come from such a vast area. :)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2008, 10:45:45 PM »
Out in that area fresh fresh was rare, the streams ain't big enough to catch enough most times for a large crowd.  So to stay period we might be better usin' canned, I'm guessin' you don't want Salmon Loaf my friend. ;D  I do have some period cook books with it in there. ;)

Naw, most likely no salmon loaf, most often make things the cook likes. ;D

I wuz worried fer a minute, there!

I'll eat sum of yer chili, pard!  With or without ground meat.  With or without beans.  With or without pasta.  With or without taters.  With or without rice.  With or without mushrooms.  With or ... well, you git the pitcher!  ;)

But NO "white chili!"  :o  T'ain't right.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 06:23:31 PM »
I'm gonna bump this one also, just for fun.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Gripmaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 09:44:48 AM »

Del,  Probably would like your brand of chili from the sounds of things. Best meat though is real South Texas hog, grown on prickly pear and mesquite, tenderized by a Chevy Silverado, chopped into 1/2" cubes and simmered in Granny's cast iron pot, with some
Cayenne,salt, cumin, paprika, ancho pepper, oregano, 1 garlic bulb and a BIG Ol South Texas yaller onion, chopped into large pieces. Add a little masa and if'n the spoon don't stand up in it, add some more pepper. I garauntee there will be no butt dragging with this recipe.  Why, only Northern Yankees complain about this stuff and they tend to camp around the outhouse anyways.

Capt. Montgomery Little, CSA, a Texan in exile in Misery

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 06:26:32 AM »
Best meat though is real South Texas hog, grown on prickly pear and mesquite, tenderized by a Chevy Silverado,
You know, I've tenderized several deer with a school bus this year. If'n ya want I could go see if the coyotes haven't cleaned them up yet.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com