Author Topic: 56-50 blanks  (Read 4506 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
56-50 blanks
« on: February 25, 2008, 07:57:01 AM »
Howdy to the camp,

Well, both units I re-enact with allow Spencers, so that is my official re-enactor arm.  I use the plastic blanks made by Keenesaw Cannon Co. but they only hold about 10 grains powder.  In an Armi Sport, they are re-usable with a small patch of masking tape over the nose.

A pard of mine back in CA is using the Ten-X blanks, crimper brass.  Anyone use them?  Anyone reload them?
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline 72nd Indiana

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 56-50 blanks
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 01:18:28 PM »
I use the Ten-X blanks. They give a better bang than the plastic ones and tend not to jam (except for the 1st round on occasion). I don't reuse them, since I don't want to risk the crimp breaking at a reenactment and they tend to corrode before I can clean them up at home. Plus, I probably need a press of some sort, as I could never unseat the primer.

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 05:16:26 PM »
I have a question about Blanks for the .56/.50 Spencer.  Dixie Gun Works sells some plastic ones that are described as only needing a shotgun primer pressed in.

To get anykind of realism don't you need at least 15 to 30 grains of powder to get a good BANG?

Of course I could just be missreading the description in their catalog.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:53:01 PM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 07:15:31 PM »
I have been using the plastic ones.  with primers alone, they are a joke.  They hold about 10 grains of FFFG, and give a small under-boom and some white smoke.  Once they are fired, a small piece of masking tape over the hole in the nose will keep the powder in better than crumble foam, which takes up room.  I drilled some out on a drill pressand made them hold about 20 grains, and that was better.  They split, though, about 30% of the time.

I am going to try the Ten-x blanks, and see if there is a way to reload them.  Maybe cut off a little of the crimp and use crumble foam.

Anyone have a few empty ten-X blanks I can play with?
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
  • I shoot blanks out of my Spencer for reenacting!
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 09:51:30 PM »
Guys
I hate to keep beating the same drum but for blanks the Spencer in 44-40 works better than trying to make it work in a 56-50.  And in the long run it’s a lot more economical.
http://www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com/spencer_article.html
Terry
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 07:46:54 PM »
Believe, me, I thought long and hard about the blank issue, even before you came up with your awesome 410 ones!  It just seemed blasphemous to haave a Spencer in anything but a modern (read center-fire) incarnation of the original.  That's why I plan on going back to a 45 Colt Henry when I can get another one (supposed to have two author ones coming).  I do my 200 grain bullet in a 45 Schofield case with 28 grains BP to duplicate the henry rounds.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com