Author Topic: How to dull the finish on a stainless vaquero  (Read 5203 times)

Offline wdbarbe

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How to dull the finish on a stainless vaquero
« on: January 17, 2006, 05:27:00 PM »
Is there a way to dull down the stainless finish on a vaquero that won't break SASS rules and not hurt the gun?
I love the durability of stainless, but it is hard to see the sights in the sun.
Any suggestions? 

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: How to dull the finish on a stainless vaquero
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 01:31:23 PM »
You could have it bead-blasted to achieve a matte finish, although I don't know why you'd want to do that.  The point of having a shiney stainless Vaquero is to imitate the nickle plate finish of the old west.  You could blacken that front sight to cut down on the glare.  Sight black can be purchased from any "gunny" type catalogue or you could try a felt tip marker.
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Gold Canyon Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 05:53:42 PM »
A black Sharpie pen works wonderfully on the sights and is SASS legal. If you want to go high tech, have the gun bead blasted.  The new model Blackhawks come with a dull finish.  If you just use the Vaqueros for a while the tiny scratches will dull the finish just due to usage.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:21:44 AM »

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 06:23:13 AM »
Sorry, Pard.
It took me awhile to get back to you.  Been outta town.
Ain't done it to a K-Vaquero yet.  Dunno if'n it's SASS Legal or not.  But I have seen it done to several in the last few years.
I did strip down a 10.5" K-Blackhawk HB & glass-blasted it at about 75 PSI.  The finish came out beautifully flat.
It's one of my huntin' handguns.
Mustang Gregg
RATS #0
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline wdbarbe

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 09:55:09 AM »
Let me ask this.  Is it possible to "color" a stainless gun.  Something like bluing?  I am most interested in the rust resistance of stainless more than the actual finish.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 05:01:49 PM »
Do ya want a black gun or just a no-shine finish?

Do you have a stainless (K) or blued (RB) gun??

Yes, you can get yer stainless six-gun blackened with a phosphate-oxide finish, I recollect that's the right process.  Any 'smith who does bluing could answer jus' 'zactly what the process is called.  He might not be able to do it at his shop, though.

If ya have a RB (blued) Ruger six-gun & ya want it flat black---Ya bead blast the finish & the blue it without polishing.  Many 'smiths can do that jus' fine.

MG
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 05:41:54 AM »
EXTRY-EXRTY-READ all about it!  From the TG's!

"A light bead blasted finish may be applied to the exterior of any SASS firearm."

I reckon that ain't 'zactly verbatim, since I didn't cut & paste.  But ya get the idee now.

MG
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Mick McCrady

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 03:11:29 AM »
Howdy,

I have my bisley's bead blasted to stop the small scratches cause by the holstering of the pistols.  Loved so much I had my Rossi '92 SRC done.  It still gets comments everytime I shoot them.  I have an oil finished 1885 Uberti High Wall, 45/70 and have been thinking about having is armorlited in stainless finish.  They claim its just as good as beening stainless.  Going to check into it.  I think is avertized in Laurer Weaponry, someplace in Wisconsin.  It's in shotgun news.

Mick McCrady

Offline Piney Woods

• Citizen
    • Piney Woods Place
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 08:22:24 PM »
Here are my 45 SST Vaqueros - bead blasted.
Piney Woods
NRA Life, SASS Life, RO-2, SBSS 189, GONH, Libertarian
http://www.PineyWoodsPlace.com/     
http://www.piecesofwood.com/     
"Growing old is inevitable; growing up is optional."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com