Author Topic: .50-70 range time  (Read 5724 times)

Offline River Rat

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: .50-70 range time
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2021, 02:28:36 AM »
We’re lucky to have two ranges on our island. The one near sea level is a little over 400 yards long and we have one up in the mountains that goes a little past 1800. Both usually get snowed in this time of year and the high elevation range probably won’t be open again until June. I dabble in a little long range shooting with a heavy-barreled .30-06 and 16x scope, however it’s almost too easy with a flat-shooting modern cartridge and quality long range optic. Learning to shoot longer ranges with the .50-70 I hope to gain a better understanding of doping wind and gauging bullet drop while using 19th-century technology.

But I’m also interested in pushing the limits of the .50-70 with black powder to see how far it can be made to shoot with reasonable accuracy, given the limitations of the cartridge especially case capacity. At some point rifle, cartridge and/or shooter will come up against the practical limits of what can be accomplished. I agree with you that the .50-70 is probably best at 600 yards and less. To push much beyond that, I will likely end up paper patching to get max powder behind the longer bullets and stretch out the range some. I do have Croft Barker’s excellent .50-70 Shooter’s Handbook. Although he’s done some great study on using heavy bullets in this cartridge, it seems to me there’s quite a bit of uncharted territory starting where his studies left off. I’m just about to order a rifle that will hopefully be suitable for wringing out the long distance potential of the .50 Gov’t cartridge. But I’ll be watching your posts as well for updates on your own long distance efforts with this cartridge. Keep ‘em coming!

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2021, 03:56:45 PM »
The Sagebrush shoot in Alliance is a nice shoot.  I've been the last two years from south Texas.  It's a long hike, but worth the effort.  While I've not been to Quigley, I see from the match descriptions that you actually shoot more rounds at Sagebrush and at longer distances - out to 1,000 yards.  It does get challenging when you get to the longer ranges with wind from multiple directions through the ravines and over the hills!  ::)

I've got a new '74 C Sharps 45-70 that I'm working on dialing in for this years match.  I took it this year and did OK, but really hadn't had a chance to optimize the load at that point.  Still managed to place in the top 1/3, so was quite happy.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2022, 09:08:16 AM »
Update: winter is too damn long.

Carry on.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:09:25 PM »

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2022, 05:42:27 PM »
Winter is shooting season in the central Arizona desert.  Summer can kill you out there.  Saturday the 4th I'm going to meet a friend who has found a stretch of BLM land with a nice hill for a backstop and nobody else around.  Shooting distance will be determined by how far we are willing to haul targets.  Given my physical condition I may settle for spotting a particularly attractive rock on the hillside and with the help of his rangefinder pot away at it from my crossed sticks.

I need to empty some 50-90 Sharps Straight brass, especially those loaded with the 505g bullets I tried.  Dang do they hurt the rebuilt shoulder after a few rounds.  I also need to put the restored Rem RB Sporting Rifle on paper, at least at 50 yards, to see if it's 135 year old barrel, which wasn't restored, will shoot.  If it does I'll turn it's attention to a distant rock or two.  (smile)

Dave

Offline River Rat

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2022, 06:08:49 PM »
Almost 20 years ago now I left central Florida (no winter, hot or extra hot most of the year) for Southeast Alaska (6 months of winter, cold and rainy most of the year when it ain’t snowing). One of these days I’m going to seek a happy medium somewhere in between. Meanwhile 5-9” of snow on the way here tomorrow.

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2022, 06:38:17 PM »
I'm in the middle of Missouri Tease Weather: 60+ and sunny on workdays, 30 degrees, snow and sleet on your days off.   >:(

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2022, 07:51:34 AM »
Yeah, mostly the same here except that Sunday was Gorgeous! 65, sunny, no wind. I shot almost all day.

Today when I came to work, it was -5 air temp 30 MPH wind and flurries
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2022, 07:30:58 AM »
Finally stopped raining long enough to get out to the farm.  Wanted to try out an MVA 10X A scope I'd just received.  Ordered it for an 1877 45-70 still 2 years away. (MVA warned a significant price increase is coming, best to get it now.  Let's go Brandon)

Shot several 5 shot groups under 2 moa at 200 yards.  This is a great scope, with a centerless mildot reticle and Winchester #2 mounts. 

It's too much for this rifle though.  Back into the box it goes to await its proper mount.  The B5 goes back on the 50. 

MVA makes great stuff! ;D 

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2022, 08:15:21 AM »
Finally stopped raining long enough to get out to the farm.
You Suck!  ;)
We haven't had any meaningful moisture since before the Grand Muster Last year. This may be the driest I've ever seen my place.

I got a Lyman 5A a few weeks ago. It's going on the 1903-A5 I had built for Vintage Sniper Competition. I may send it in to get it serviced next winter, but overall it looks pretty good.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2022, 08:24:21 PM »
You're welcome to come down and siphon some up.  Ground around here is so damn saturated the septic tanks won't drain.  :o

At least my load is set.  Now I've got to work on the wobble behind the trigger.

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2022, 08:27:44 PM »
Grand time at the KVC Buffalo Shoot.  Used the Soule this time, tied for 1st with 24 kills out of 30.  Lost by one round in the shootoff when I overestimated the range and went Juuuuust over a pepper popper target at around 300 yards.  Good folks, good food, good drinks, good time.  Trap puts on a great match.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com