Author Topic: Hammerless shotguns authentic to old west?  (Read 20676 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Hammerless shotguns authentic to old west?
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2006, 10:05:08 PM »
One that worked or just one with one trigger?
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2006, 10:20:53 PM »
A single trigger that fires each bbl., one at a time.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2006, 11:45:32 PM »
The comment about one that 'worked' was an accurate one, since the 'reliable' single-triggered double guns came about after the turn of the century.

No doubt 'someone' was experimenting - somewhere - but none of the larger manufacturers were offering one in their Trade catalogs by 1900 - nor were Montgomery Wards or Sears, Roebuck offering any in their catalogs - and those suppliers would've seized upon that idea as a marketing tool.

That's also what I reported to NCOWS' Judge when asked.

Vaya,

Scouts out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 04:52:24 AM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2006, 08:23:57 AM »
The English were experimenting with them at least in the 1870's, more on rifles than shotguns.  The problem of of firing both barrels at once was real, a nuisance on a shotgun when hunting birds, a real danger when hunting some of the types of game a double rifle is used for.

I have never seen anywhere of a production single trigger till after 1900, in fact I think John m. Browning designed one of the first ones that worked well on his Superposed.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2020, 09:59:41 PM »
So here's a really old thread coming back.  I have a TTN which I love, but this is about hammerless.  A local was selling his CAS guns and I got a Baikal at a great price.  He had antiqued it (the question must be asked - why???  I antiqued my TTN and it looks great.  I say that if it had been rattling under a stage driver for ten years, it would look like that.  But a hammerless??).  And it was a bad antique job, as well.  I smoothed out the streaks with vinegar and made it as good as I could without too much effort.  And I came up with a story for it.

A well-to-do European gentleman and his two young sons were in America on a hunting expedition.  He had some fine and expensive firearms, including a nice hammerless shotgun.  I was hired as a guide.  He and I went into town for supplies while the sons stayed at the cabin in the woods.  They had been told not to handle the finer firearms without him, but they took the shotgun out to shoot.  And they also managed to unwittingly plug the muzzle with mud while crossing a stream and blew the end of the barrels apart when it was fired.  Oops!  They knew their father would be furious so they left it out in the woods until they could come up with a story.  However, a freak snowstorm hit that night, and even though they had to own up to the missing piece when their father returned, it could not be found until the snow had melted weeks later.  Quite rusted.  He did not want it and said I could have it if I wanted it.  The boys were made to earn its replacement.  I sawed off the blown barrel and sanded off the surface rust.  The bores and action were fine and it shoots great.  I thought I might refinish it but figured it would be less likely to be stolen if I left it disguised as a junker.   :)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2020, 10:06:38 AM »

:o  NECROMANCERS!!  NECROMANCERS !!  Run for your Lives   ::)

I realize this old thread is probably no longer applicable to the OP.  I would think over the ensuing 14 years, the OP has found a Shotgun (Or not).

I just thought with this resurrection, I might share, Cowboy is Hammer Doubles.  With BP or Subs.  With two triggers.  Barrel length - Optional.  Stagecoach Guards-n-Mine Guards-n-Law Men-n-Farmers couldn't afford High End Shotguns (I don't think) and besides, only Hammer guns with All Brass hulls are interesting (my unbiased Opine)

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2020, 11:00:54 AM »
https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=45473.msg564336#msg564336

This question is an eternal one it seems. I did a survey severeal years ago on both shotgun developement and shotgun ammo developement. I note some highlights;

1. Under lever guns were available by 1836, in pinfire and by the Wild West era, central fire ammo was available. They were available but only to wealthy afficianados.
2. Break open hammerguns were available throughout our period.
3. Muzzleloading shotguns were being sold until the turn of the century, as were shotgun conversions of old military arms.
4. The English designed boxlock shotgun was also available. Very few made it west in time except for wealthy ranch owners and some professional lawmen.
5. Believe it or not, paper shells preceeded brass! Reloading for shotguns was mandatory throughout most of the Wild West era as loaded shells didn't come from the factories until very late.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2020, 12:47:17 AM »
Paper shotshells were most often sold loaded except for shot, the reason was because there was no industry standard for size.   Sometime in the 1880's the industry standardized on the size system we Americans use today the one used by the Tantam shot tower of St Louis.   This is one reason hand crimp rollers are common items at gun shows today.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline shrapnel

• There is nothing like the original
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Keeping what made the West safe, alive
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2020, 11:45:37 AM »
Technology is all over the place. We think of modern guns that are over 100 years old in design, ie Colt 1911.

Shotguns were typically hammer guns for reason of simplicity and effectiveness in function. I have a George Daw side by side that looks almost new as it's condition is so exceptional. It is over 150 years old. It was made in 1867 and shoots 12 gauge 2 1/2 inch shells. Many think that is normal, but you have to remember that in 1867, the main type of firearm was still percussion.

This gun is one of the earliest guns to utilize the center fire cartridge with outside priming. Again, we think nothing of this today as we have been using this type of priming all our lives, but this was revolutionary. George Daw also owned the patent on center fire priming and had gone through a few lawsuits to protect it.

This gun is not only a beautiful piece but historic in it's place in firearm development. I still use it in Cowboy Action shooting and chasing birds around in the fall...

I never considered myself a failure...I started out at the bottom and happen to like it here!

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2020, 05:33:31 PM »
My Good Shrapnel

that *is* an exceptional shotgun. beautiful wood & engraving, and in amazing condition!

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2020, 06:48:31 PM »

:)  Oh Oh Oh Wowzers   ;)

That is one super superb Shotgun.  Hammer Double.  Floating Back Locks, English Stock, Exceptional Wood (Bet not original), Tastefully engraved.  What's not to like!!

Ah, Shrapnel, you have an Alarm System??  :o Auto Yard Lights??  :o  Tall Spiky Fence??   :o  Large Nasty Attack Dogs??   8) If none of the above, whats yer address  ::)  My but that's a NICE Shotgun.  I have a "THING" for Hammer Doubles.  Did I ever mention that??

Offline shrapnel

• There is nothing like the original
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Keeping what made the West safe, alive
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2020, 10:32:28 AM »
:)  Oh Oh Oh Wowzers   ;)

That is one super superb Shotgun.  Hammer Double.  Floating Back Locks, English Stock, Exceptional Wood (Bet not original), Tastefully engraved.  What's not to like!!

Actually, that is original wood. That gun is an exceptional piece that has this kind of condition when it is 153 years old. It is such a nice gun, Steven Dodd Hughes did a 2 part write up on it for Shooting Sportsman, a few years ago. He found out all the information on it with the research he did for his article, including the spare firing pins and ejector that were located under the heel plate.

This is one of my prize possessions that I came across accidentally and was glad I did...

I never considered myself a failure...I started out at the bottom and happen to like it here!

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2020, 10:48:50 AM »
I remember the article, but best of all the Daw was another of Shrapnel's guns he allowed me to fondle at Cody.  Mr. Hughes is a respected authority on English Doubles and if he says it is original wood, you can take that to the bank.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com