Author Topic: My Uberti Wood  (Read 4091 times)

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
My Uberti Wood
« on: February 12, 2022, 09:06:24 PM »
Hello all,

It’s been a minute and a half it seems like since I’ve been on this forum. 7 years to be exact. You fine people helped me along in choosing a couple of 73 rifles. Anyways, I’ll try to keep this somewhat brief. I bought my first Uberti 73 in 2014 and then a Miroku in early 2015. I love both rifles. 5 years ago I dropped my Uberti in my garage floor on the crescent plate and bent the tip of the butt plate while chipping the wood. After some time had passed wiping the tears from my eyes I had a buddy who is Crow Indian make me a leather butt stock cover (Shown in pics) to cover the damage. Anyways fast forward to this week. I ordered another butt stock from Taylor’s and fitted it to my gun today. I posted a few pics of my Winchester and Uberti. My question is how bad is the miss match of the new butt stock color/grain from Taylor’s to the original foregrip? I just couldn’t bare it anymore just knowing I had a chipped stock underneath the leather cover. There’s times I keep looking at the rifle and think it matches well and then under certain lighting it doesn’t. Thanks guys
“Fiery men are soon put out.”

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: My Uberti Wood
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 09:14:04 PM »
Pic 1

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 09:14:57 PM »
Pic 2 & 3

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:20:24 AM »

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 09:17:52 PM »
Pic 4

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 09:19:01 PM »
My Miroku (my favorite)

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 04:19:20 PM »
 Stuck, tell you what, send me that ugly one and in a little while i'll have the forearm & stock matching scratch for scratch. Now understand,,,, i been known to "make a crowbar use oil".  ::) (lol) That butt cover is very, very nice, your friend does beautiful work.

coffee's ready,  Hootmix.

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2022, 07:57:45 PM »
Yeah he does good work. I’m gonna get a matching fore grip to solve my issue and just have a back up stock and fore grip to run with. I really like the new stock I got on the Uberti. I favor the grain over my original stock anyways.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2022, 09:30:38 PM »
Yeah he does good work. I’m gonna get a matching fore grip to solve my issue and just have a back up stock and fore grip to run with. I really like the new stock I got on the Uberti. I favor the grain over my original stock anyways.
If you plan on using this for CAS, then note that leather forend covers are only allowed on shotguns and Henrys. 

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2022, 09:47:28 PM »
I gotcha. I meant a new matching wood fore grip to go with my new butt stock. My leather cover is on the original butt stock covering the wood chip damage. I would love to join a CAS club. I believe they are all well over an hour away or more. I’m located in Southwest Missouri. It’d be a lot of fun!

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2022, 12:06:36 AM »
Just another thought.  I stripped the finish from all of my Uberti rifles, then lightly stained them and finished it off with Tru-Oil.  I think that it made them look much better while keeping any of the wood grain that was already present.  It's altogether possible that if you refinished them, the wood would match. It was low-cost and provided an improved appearance. It's just another option to consider. 

Here's a link with photos: https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=60543.msg719654#msg719654
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2022, 08:55:35 AM »
I gotcha. I meant a new matching wood fore grip to go with my new butt stock. My leather cover is on the original butt stock covering the wood chip damage. I would love to join a CAS club. I believe they are all well over an hour away or more. I’m located in Southwest Missouri. It’d be a lot of fun!

Oh, okay, I read it wrong and thought you wanted to cover it.  Lots of Ubertis don't quite match front to back.  But if the back is covered with the leather, the mismatch doesn't really show.

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2022, 09:16:18 AM »
Just another thought.  I stripped the finish from all of my Uberti rifles, then lightly stained them and finished it off with Tru-Oil.  I think that it made them look much better while keeping any of the wood grain that was already present.  It's altogether possible that if you refinished them, the wood would match. It was low-cost and provided an improved appearance. It's just another option to consider. 

Here's a link with photos: https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=60543.msg719654#msg719654

Griff,

What kind of stain did you do? I checked with Taylor’s and they only one fore end in stock and it doesn’t match my new butt stock. I’ve never refinish any rifle stocks and didn’t know how in depth it is. Thanks

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2022, 11:23:55 AM »

Griff,

What kind of stain did you do? I checked with Taylor’s and they only one fore end in stock and it doesn’t match my new butt stock. I’ve never refinish any rifle stocks and didn’t know how in depth it is. Thanks

When I stripped the finish off the wood, it was very light in color. I took some Fiebings dark brown leather dye and diluted it in rubbing alcohol. I started swabbing the wood down, letting it dry periodically to check the color until I had it the way I wanted it. Of all the guns that I did, I thought that my '73 came out the best. Each of the guns took differing amounts of dye depending on how dark the bare wood was. I'm not very experienced at this, so others may be able to add to the discussion.

I actually started with revolver grips which seemed like good practice:

https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=60412.msg718403#msg718403

Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2022, 01:45:42 PM »
All Uberti wood that I have stripped (with Citristrip) was very light colored underneath.  I used minwax dark walnut stain.

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2022, 10:01:09 PM »
I think I found a pretty good match on a fore grip end. Once I get it on I’ll post pics. If anyone has a good reference video or step-by-step guide to remove the fore end I’m all ears. I’ve never done it before so not sure how in depth it is. I could always keep the leather cover on my existing damaged butt stock but it drives me bonkers that it’s chipped and damaged. I could always refinish the wood as mentioned above but I honestly want that to be my last resort if need be. It’s a working gun so I’m not gonna complain too bad. I guess someone always has it worse. I seen on the FaceBook Winchester forum today that a guy had inherited a Winchester 92 and stuck it under his adjustable mattress and forgot it was there. I guess he adjusted his mattress and broke the butt stock in pieces. So he is trying to figure out what to do. So my conundrum pales in comparison. Lol.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2022, 11:50:32 PM »
Well, stuck, years ago I saved instructions on removing the rifle forend from 3 different people.  I will include them all and let you sort it out.  :)

2008, manatee says:

I fiMd it easiest to remove the mag cap, spring & follower first. Then drive out the pin in the magazine band. Remove the screws in the forend cap. Slide the forend forward slightly and wiggle out the mag tube. Then the wood must come down and slightly forward. Careful you don't chip the dadoed (inletted) portion that is inserted in the receiver.

The screws can be a real bear. Be prepared to buy new ones.

-----------------------------------------------------

2005, Wistful McClintock says:

Remove the two screws holding the Forearm Cap. The Forearm Mounting Bracket is dovetailed to the barrel and held by the magazine tube. The magazine tube is held in place by a pin in the front magazine carrier. This pin must be removed and the magazine tube moved forward (or removed entirely) until the magazine tube clears the forearm Cap, at which time the Forearm Mounting Bracket should easily slide out, mine is very loose. Then the Forearm can be slid forward and removed.

The Magazine Tube may be tight where it fits into the Receiver. To remove mine, I unscrewed the Magazine End Plug enough to get a nylon punch to rest against the lip of the Plug and then tap on it until the Magazine Tube comes free of the Receiver. I would recommend that the Magazine Spring and the Magazine Follower be removed, before removing the Magazine Tube.

Be careful that you don’t scratch the Magazine Tube with the Forearm Cap when sliding either of them in or out, it is real easy to do. I was lucky in that my scratch occurred on a portion of the Tube that is cover by the Forearm.

There are three possible difficulties when putting everything back together.

The first being the Magazine Tube may not want to line up with the hole in the Receiver because of pressure from the Forearm Mounting Bracket or the Forearm itself, and instead butt up against the Receiver. I used a wooden dowel inserted into the Magazine Tube to help align the tube with the hole, a stout cleaning rod would probably work too, but I felt the wooden dowel would be less likely to scratch the inside of the tube. Once the tube is lined up with the hole, it will slip part way in, just tap it the rest of the way in, I used a wooden mallet so as not to mar the end of the tube.

Two, the screw holes on my Forearm Mounting Bracket are off center. It is a good idea to check this alignment before removing the piece, so that you get the bracket back on properly and the holes align with the holes in the Forearm Cap.

Three, notice that there is a small groove cut into the Magazine Tube that must align with the holes in the Magazine Tube Carrier that the pin that goes through. I found that the Magazine Tube could be turned fairly easily using the Magazine Plug and a wide screwdriver. Once you get the groove lined up with the pin hole, then tap in the pin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

2007, Driftwood Johnson says:

The forend surounds the magazine tube. You cannot remove the forend until you slide the magazine tube forward enough to clear the forend, and remove the underlying dovetailed piece the forend cap screws into. Most of the exploded drawings available show carbines and they are useless for this task.

First, carefully remove the 2 screws in the forend cap. Be careful because they are short, and their threaded holes in the dovetailed piece underneath are easily cross threaded. They are often not screwed in perfectly perpendicular. For safey's sake, mark which screw came out of which hole. Then slide the forend cap forward. Again be careful, the fit against the magazine or barrel may be so tight that it mars the blue on the magazine or barrel. If it is a tight fit, it only needs to come forward enough to clear the underlying piece.

Now take a small punch and drive out the small horizontal pin holding the magazine in place in the forward magazine hanger. Do not marr the pin, or its slot in the magazine. That is all that keeps the magazine in place against recoil. Trust me on this. Once that pin has been removed the magazine can be slid forward. It may need a little persuasion to get it going. Be careful as you slide the magazine forward, the follower will be loose. It may stay in the receiver, it may come with the magazine. Don't loose the follower.

Once the magazine tube has cleared the forend you can slide the dovetailed piece under the forend cap out to one side. I dunno the name of this piece, it doesn't show up on the exploded digrams of the carbines. This piece may slide out easier to one side or the other, mine does. You can also remove the forend cap now, once the magazine clears it.

Now, the forend is finally free to remove. Slide it about 1/8" forward to release it from the relief in the frame. You may have to slide a knife between the rear of the forend and the frame to pry it loose. Be very careful, do not dent or chip the wood. Hopefully you can pull it forward just by hand. Once the forend comes forward off the frame, it will lift straight off. Now you can look and see how everything interlocks and why you have to remove all this stuff to get the forend off. If you want to remove the forward magazine hanger, it rotates in its dovetail, it does not drive out from the side.

This is a good oportunity to inspect your magazine spring for rust. Slide the magazine tube the rest of the way out, and slide out the spring. Clean it if necessary.

This all sounds very complicated, but it really isn't difficult. The key is, the magazine slides into the forend with a hole that envelopes the tube, so you have to get the magazine out of the way to get the wood off.

Reverse the procedure to reassesmble. Don't forget the follower, if you removed it.

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2022, 10:24:11 AM »
Stuck in 73, I know of at least 2 very active CAS groups in SW Missouri, around Springfield and Branson. And if you ever find yourself in North/Central Arkansas, come out and shoot with us at Outlaw Camp in Heber Springs.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline stuck_in_73

• -Jeff
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2022, 03:53:04 PM »
 Ok so my new fore end came in from VTI today and well,…it doesn’t match. Lol. The pictures the gentleman sent me in Connecticut of the fore end and the pics I had of my rifle I thought it was a close match. Well I want wrong. With wood especially pictures can be deceiving especially on different lighting ect. Anyways, I posted some pics of the new stock and fore end for you guys to see. I really think I’m going to get some stripper and redo the stocks. The good thing is the grain looks great on the new woods but I’m going to go down the road if refinishing. I posted my original stocks back on my rifle. I’ll leave it as is and I’ll have a side project to refinish the wood. I could send the stock and fore end back but there is shipping costs along with a 30% restocking fee. So I’m just going to keep the wood as backups. For the guys who’ve refinished their Uberti stocks what color matches the original Winchester’s the most? Also after stripping the wood is there sanding to do to get the original color off the wood? I really don’t want to have to sand.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2022, 05:50:48 PM »
Longshot Logan has passed on but his refinishing article remains. 
https://gungiveaways.com/1873-uberti-shoulder-stock-refinishing/

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2022, 06:32:28 PM »
I didn't do any significant sanding. I did use OOOO steel wool in the finishing process. I recommend re-reading my old post for some details (https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=60543.msg719654#msg719654). I do recommend Citristrip. It takes a little bit of time and labor to get through the hard Uberti finish, but it's relatively pleasant to work with and it does work.

I entered the project with a certain amount of fear. I am far from being a handyman, but I'm pleased with the results and very glad that I gave it a shot.

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com