Special Interests - Groups & Societies > RATS

45 Schofield in 45 Colt

<< < (5/7) > >>

Trailrider:
I can't fit any of the .45 cartridges in my OMV's. Of course, the reason for that is that mine are .44-40 and .44 Mangle-em cylinders (interchangeable)!  :P  ::)

treebeard:

--- Quote from: Coffinmaker on November 19, 2020, 09:20:06 AM --- :)  Hey Treebeard   ;)

A thought.  If your not wrapped around the "Authentic" axel, there is an even better option.  Cowboy 45 Special.  Cute Lil cartridge.  Absolutely perfect for reduced smokeless (gag, choke, puke) loading and absolutely the Beez Kneez for BP (what it was designed for).  160Gr bullets are nice indeed and 130Gr Barnstormer bullets are just SUPERB!!  Just a Thought in passing.  Same Rim diameter as 45 Colt.

Hide and Watch

--- End quote ---

Coffinmaker—- so can 45 Cowboy special be loaded with 45 Colt?? Does it need a special crimp die?? Schofield’’s work in my particular OMV’s but the 45CS does intrigue me.

pony express:
most likely you would not be able to crimp them. All other operations should work. My .45 Colt dies won't crimp Schofield rounds, I use a .45ACP die for them. That should work for the CS cases, since it's basically a rimmed .45ACP.
, but without the extra thick rim of the "Auto rim" version.

Advertising:

Baltimore Ed:
My one Dillon is set up for 45acp all the time, i just swap the shell plate out and do autorim. I do use an old lee seater die as it’s easy to adjust if i change bullets.

Dave T:
My fairly new RCBS "Cowboy" dies would not crimp my 45 S&W cases, despite being labeled as suitable for both. My only 45 ACP dies are in my SDB Dillion so that isn't an answer.

Fortunately I have an older (25-30 years) set of 45 Colt dies on the back one loading bench. I got out the seating die and tried it with no success, so...I clamped it in my vice upside down and with a file dressed off about 1/8"-3/16" off the bottom of the die. It now ends right about where the outside threads start so it still screws into the press easily. I also took a round file and put a little more taper to the inside of the die mouth as I had filed most of its factory taper away.

The modified (shortened) seating and crimping die works perfectly with the 45 S&W cases so I marked the die box as "45 S&W" and now use it for that cartridge exclusively. The newer "Cowboy" die set is reserved for the 45 Colt.

YMMV,
Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version