Author Topic: Custer Era Finishes  (Read 36893 times)

1real2clone

Custer Era Finishes
« on: March 08, 2014, 07:23:07 PM »
I recently acquired a USFA Custer model.  It has the antique finish, however I have only seen these with the faux pitting on them.  This model however doesn't have any of that.  Looks like I have seen some of the finer Colts look after years of wear.  Anyone who saw these new at shows etc ever seen one like this?  Trying to get some decent photos. 

Thanks

Offline GaryG

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Custer Era Finishes
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 08:08:57 PM »
When the Custer guns were first done, they were actually rusted using a browning solution.  They were left to rust overnight then cleaned up the next day.  The pitting was real.  The rusting was stopped by dipping the guns in a solution of baking soda and water.  Occasionally, though it appeared the rusting process had been stopped, it didn't really stop.  The guns were packed up and either put in the vault for a later sale or shipped immediately to the dealer.  When the box would be opened, the guns would be totally rusted.  The "Gunslinger" was finished the same way.  Eventually, the guns would be glass beaded, blued and then scrubbed with oil and steel wool.  These later guns didn't have the slightly pitted (we called them freckles) antique look.  The oil/steel wool process was also used on the JW Red River guns. 

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 94
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 11:35:43 PM »
what would you say,

Love those Red Rivers. Very nice indeed!
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:52:17 AM »

Offline pawneefork

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 12:52:34 AM »

The Rodeo finish interests me.  I bought a Rodeo recently and, hating the finish, wiped it off with some hydrogen sulfide, or whatever the active ingredient in toilet bowl cleaner is.  Now it's in the white.  I can't decide how to finish it -- nickel or blue & cc -- but I'd be happy (and $500 less poor) if I went with something homespun like this.  How'd you do it...?

The money in a refinish, to make to look like one of their SAs, is in polishing.  I traded a Colt for the USFA because I like the 1st gen Colt lines it was built with, and the sharpness of the edges.  Edges on old Colts weren't rounded by polishing. I'm going to go whine about USFAs in a separate thread, but I would like to know how you got it to look like that, if you're willing to give up the recipe...

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 12:44:29 AM »
An actual Custer Era finish would be bright blue with case colors, not rust.  So, if you are trying to replicate an actual Custer era gun stripping the blue and making it look doggy ain't the way to go.

1real2clone

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 09:21:32 PM »
Thanks for the feedback all.  My Custer Era finish lacks the pits, so maybe it is later variation of bluing and then rubbing with steel wool?  Not a fan of the pits anyway, but like the vintage look overall.  I must say though the original CC finish is my favorite.  My god these things look incredible.

The Custer version has had some trigger work and so smooth it's scary.  Think this will be the shooter and the Ainsworth will not be.  That said, I purchased the Ainsworth to be "new in box" which it is not based on the dirty chambers and barrel.  ???  

IMG_0988 by Fiat Parts, on Flickr

IMG_0986 by Fiat Parts, on Flickr

IMG_0985 by Fiat Parts, on Flickr

IMG_0981 by Fiat Parts, on Flickr

IMG_0978 by Fiat Parts, on Flickr

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 09:15:23 PM »
I thought for a long time about getting a USFA, especially the Custer Battlefield.
Unfortunately I missed the "realistic" window.
I just can't pay $1500-2000 for a USFA in spite of their universal acclaim of quality.
I have quite a few Uberti's (all blue or CC) and just this week picked up a 7 1/2" Old West model to satiate my desire for the Custer Battlefield.
Although I haven't shot it yet I must say it more than met expectations on looks and smooth/tight action.
In fact, compared to most of the pictures I've seen of the USFA CB I like the Uberti more.  It has more of a "worn" look yet does not have any rust.
Plus it was only $470.   ;)

1real2clone

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 04:55:16 PM »
I may be forced to pass along my Custer Battlefield model to another lucky person.  Love having them both along with the Colt, but other things are also calling my name.  If anyone is interested, let me know..or it may just hang out in the safe.  Tough decisions....
 :( 

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 09:27:36 PM »
this needed a bump
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com