Author Topic: DOMM 2012  (Read 41171 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
DOMM 2012
« on: July 17, 2012, 10:11:12 AM »
As Colonel Pitspiter heads out on his tour of The Department of the Atlantic, The Commissary Deptartment was asked to file a report till he is able to. 

My arrival at Camp Pitspiter was at around 4;30 on the 11th. to be able to set up the kitchen and help the Colenel with any tasks that were needed.

Since we now have running water, we finished the shower:

Supper was prepared for myself, sausage from the Corner Market in Sargent (their own) and some eggs:

Bowview Haymaker showed up later and ate the leftover sausage.  He also had two days of road grime and hit the shower:

(His concern up on seeing the flash was that it would end up posted in the Barracks, there was no need for concern it did.)

The sunset over camp was wonderful also:

More setting up happened the 12th, The Colonel and Paul erected a tepee for the homeless ones there, however things didn't go well at first, and since I was sitting on the ground doing prep work and taking pictures there was no time to jump up and help, so I continued taking pictures:

But things got better:

Others arrived and set up camp, toward supper time things look a bit nasty in the west and the awning was quickly put up:

And then we got rain and wind:

But it quit after the awning blew down and "most" retreated to the tepee. The troops were fed, (report on the foods later.)

On the morning of the 13th we noticed things had not gone well for the Colonel during the night:

After breakfast the shooting began and we will rely on others for those reports.

A nice break was taken in the hottest part of the afternoons:

River City John showed up with a Swiss Vetterli and suitable ammunition:

And on Sunday morning before breakfast I was able to give it a quick test:

I will prepare a report of the meals prepared and eaten and others will file reports.

Glen Carman aka Delmonico, Chief Commissary Officer.

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • GAF, Department of the Missouri
    • Talbot's Fine Accessories
  • Liked:
Re: DOMM 2012
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 02:28:21 PM »
I had an amazing time. This was the most fun I have ever had in any shooting related activity! Many thanks to Jerry and Dale for all their hard workin getting this together! Major thanks to Del for keeping us so well fed.

I have posted all the photos and videos I took to Photobucket at photobucket.com/GAF1

George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 03:15:45 PM »
Can you give us a direct link? I end up with something else looking for that.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:33:33 AM »

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 06:26:11 PM »
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 02:02:51 PM »
Back to more on my report and the food:

Wendsday evening I had a supper of sausage from the Corner Market in Sargent along with eggs.  Bow View Haymaker at the leftover sausage when he arrived:

At noon on Thursday we had roasted chops and bacon and beans:

I didn't get pictures of all the food, I got busy, but Thursday evening as troops arrived they were served chicken and dumplings, baked beans and fresh green beans, plus an apple cobbler.

Friday morning was bacon and scrambled eggs with coffee to wash it down.

Noon was beef and noodles and left over cobbler, some pictures of the noodles being made:

Friday evening was Roast pork loin,  scalloped potatoes with cheese, rye bread and sweet Irish soda bread with currents. 

Saturday morning was red flannel hash, this being hash made with both potatoes and beets, I must report it was popular and I have been asked to make it again:

Saturday noon was baked macaroni and cheese with a peach cobbler.

Evening meal was meatloaf, more of the same breads and apple crisp.

Sunday we had a brunch about 10 am with sausage gravy, biscuits and scambled eggs, the eggs had the leftover meatloaf crumbled in it:

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 02:59:07 PM »
As usual, I was too busy having fun to remember to take photos most of the time ..... but here are a few I got -

Col. Pitspitr himself, with his deadly (.... albeit smokeless .... ::) ;) ) Trapdoor Springfield -

Bowview Haymaker -

Cowtown Scout -

Hopalong Strong -

Ned Niederlander -

River City John .... enjoying in the 'shooting' he engaged in most at the Muster -

RCJ between 'shots' -

(It was just water in John's jug, by the way .....  ;D
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 04:21:19 PM »
It was a grand time, but I decided early that I was still tired from having a full weekend the week previous, so I lazed around in camp and looked good for all the womenfolk that showed up. I did not shoot two of the stages, but jumped in on Stage Three to help repel the hordes trying to attack Fort Pitsptr on the crest of the hill. I can state with pride that I knocked down every one of those 25 targets without sustaining a single scratch! 'Course, they WERE mandatory hit targets, but still, I only took 26 rounds, 'er, umm . . . 27,  umm . . 28 rounds to take out the heathens.
I also tried to compete in the Long Range shoot, but in 15 rounds sent downrange 300 yds., only ONE (1) had the courtesy to show up on the paper in the black. That paper target was very useful as a fire starter for breakfast coffee the next morning . . .

It was good food, as always, along with some new dishes. The Red Flannel Hash was a winner, and the good old standbys, Beef 'n' Noodles, Pork Loin, and Biscuits 'n' Gravy very popular.  Towards Sunday, though, found myself craving salad or fruit, maybe even a wild Prairie Yogurt, as a change to the diet. (Note to self, when the thermometer hovers around 100 degrees, it's not the best time to power-carb . . .)

Happy to say the Vetterli performed flawlessly, except for those times when it didn't. 'Nuff said.

I did not take any pictures, but I did create some very poignant and dramatic ice sculptures depicting some of the camp scenes. Alas, they did not survive the return trip home.

RCJ

Forgot to mention the baked macaroni 'n' cheese!
This was the real deal, Folks. The kind where if you try to portion a modest spoonful helping onto your plate, the entire contents in the Dutch oven is pulled up with it by all the attaching strings and filaments of melted cheese, which you can't ever break as they continue to stretch and harden . . .
The next in line had your back and acted as your "cheese-detaching Buddy' until it became their turn to wrestle with the creature. God knows what the poor bloke at the end of the line had to do.
It was tasty, but seemed right out of the SyFy channel.

p.s.
Tale would not be complete without mention of the trick handle on the House of Ease Col. Pitsptr had installed on the door jamb. It had a tendency to turn as you closed the door and gap the door crack, thus locking you in.
We learned to correctly interpret the forlorn sound of pounding coming from just over the crest of the hill as a distress signal - once again a trooper fell victim to this insidious trap.
RCJ

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 07:39:44 PM »
That red flannel hash looks VERY good, Del.. i'll have to get the receipe for that one ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 10:15:27 PM »
That red flannel hash looks VERY good, Del.. i'll have to get the receipe for that one ::)

I'll try to get it in Cosie's Corner tomorrow.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 07:00:18 PM »
Looking forward to it, Del ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Cowtown Scout

• Top Active Citizen
  • TEXAS By GOD
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 02:09:34 PM »
I finally made it home late yesterday.  My trip started after work on Wednesday July 11th and ended yesterday July 21st.  It took me from North Central Texas through Oklahoma and Kansas to Nebraska for the muster.  After the muster my trip continued through Nebraska and Wyoming (with some sight seeing) to Colorado where I stayed in Denver at a conference from 17th-19th.  Did more sight seeing on the 19th and 20th before heading home.  That trip took me through Colorado, New Mexico and Texas back home to Fort Worth.  Will post photos of the muster and my travels after I have time to download, resize and upload with captions.
Scout 

GAF #510, STORM #98, GOFWG #126, SSS #211, SBSS #1713, CVV
Life Member: SASS, LSA, ORA, Whittington Center, LSFSC, Founders Club (Gold)
Benefactor Member: NRA and TSRA, Past President TSRA

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 08:58:23 PM »
Glad everyone is getting home and recovering safely from the action at camp Pitspitr, NE territory.  I spent a fews extra days in eastern Nebraska,attending a wedding,and visiting family and friends.  With a stop at Scruffy Skippy's and High Plains Shooters Supply to resupply some reloading components and other necessities, I  began my journey back to Arizona.  22 hours of driving in about 27 hours, and I was back home Friday morn,just after sunup.  First day back at work today and I'm wishin' I was back in that canyon with Trapdoor in hand. 
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Cowtown Scout

• Top Active Citizen
  • TEXAS By GOD
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 10:31:02 PM »
And extra tin cup came home in my stuff.  Please let me know if you are missing a cup from the muster and I will get it to you.

For those that did not go and wonder about round counts for the skirmish format and since I knew what I took and counted live ones after I got home, here you go.  For the expansion era match including the long range match I shot 53 rounds of 30-06 in the Springfield 1903 and got all brass back except for 5, shot 12 rounds of .45 ACP in the 1911 and got back 1 piece of brass (no problem I got lots of them).  For the main match including long range match I shot 119 rounds of 30-40 in the 1898 Krag and got all brass back except for 8, shot 24 rounds of .38 long colt in the model 1896 colt revolver and got back all brass except 5.

While the numbers were being added up for the awards those that wanted to shot my C96 Broomhandle Mauser, 10 without the stock and 10 with the stock.  We expended 120 rounds of 30 Mauser and I got ALL the brass back.  Found that I need to put in new springs for it to function properly.  But it was fun to finally get to make it go bang and it appeared everyone who did shoot it had a blast just getting to hold it much less shoot it.  I now plan to work on getting a lead bullet load to function in the broomhandle.

Scout  8)
GAF #510, STORM #98, GOFWG #126, SSS #211, SBSS #1713, CVV
Life Member: SASS, LSA, ORA, Whittington Center, LSFSC, Founders Club (Gold)
Benefactor Member: NRA and TSRA, Past President TSRA

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 10:59:43 PM »
I came home one tin cup short.  (that doesn't sound good, does it?)  Grey speckled enamel with a rounded bottom (more like a tea cup)  I think it was used for the spirits shared. If that's it,  Don't worry about sending it or anything I am trying to figure out a way to get to the Grand muster .
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 12:53:44 AM »
Gentlemen:

I am now in receipt of the photographs taken by Roger (limited to the Era of Expansion match on Friday morning and the awards on Sunday) and am pleased to attach reduced-size versions of most of them:

Camp Pitspitr under the early morning sun .....

The ultimate "Big Winner" from Texas prepping, with interested spectators viewing ....

The British Empire representative prepping ....

Taking the field for the Era of Expansion match ....

Ned Niederlander, giving 'em "what for" ....

Col. Pitspitr in action, shooting Field Officer class ....

Donny ..... the Boer with the Mosin-Nagant rifle ....

Yours Truly, engaged in the rather disastrous run with the Mark III Ross rifle and M'1878 Colt .....

Another view of Camp Pitspitr ..... taken from the vicinity of the "swimming pool", I believe ....

Readying the Colors .....

Era of Expansion match participants....

The Commissary Department hard at work ....

Roxanne and Mitch, the owner/operators of the Comstock Premier Lodge B&B, where Roger and I stayed, at Camp Pitspitr on Saturday night ....

Col. Drydock, Saturday evening ....

Hopalong Strong, Saturday evening .....

Tallying up the scores .....

Awards ....

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 05:45:31 AM »
And extra tin cup came home in my stuff.  Please let me know if you are missing a cup from the muster and I will get it to you.
I ended up a cup short (tin CW era army issue cup w/bail) and a M-1874 tin spoon short.

Got home from the eastern tour late yesterday afternoon. Will file AAR ASAP. Eastern Tour was 3800 miles and 15 states in 7 days.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 08:34:12 AM »
I had so many cups floating around I have no idea, but if it was blue, green or white it was most likely mine. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 09:46:44 AM »
I couldn't help but notice the uniforms in the last of RSJ's photos. The sweat stains and mud grime on my blue shirt doesn't show as much as it did in real life. Hopalong Strong is striking a very strategic pose  :o

It seems to me that most reenactors look too clean and not worn enough. Not many of us had those issues by the end of the weekend. All of us had "authentic" sweat stains and a few even had "authentic" patches.  ;)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 09:58:38 AM »
And then there was this one:

Woops, I meant this one:

Did I here you say, "I love the smell of coal oil in the morning." ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 10:37:06 AM »
Well, coal oil certainly smells better than I did at that point.  ::)

Looks like someone could use a diet and maybe a little more sun...and I don't mean Robert Duvall.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com