Author Topic: My Latest Project, a Mid-1800s portable office  (Read 13163 times)

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
Re: My Latest Project, a Mid-1800s portable office
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 05:58:08 PM »
Thanks Blair,

There is a way but it is more a labor of love than it is practical by any means.

*Put a pencil in a small fire to burn away the wood.
*Flatten out 4-sides of the graphite using a few passes using a fine sanding bit on a Dremel tool at low speed. (takes about 60 seconds tops)
*Take a 45-degree lateral cut running the sides of a 5-6 inch (5/8 dowel) easily done using a coping saw and wood vise.
*Use a right-angle wood crafting chisel to even out the cavity & trim the center point of the 45-degree cut to form a squared cavity.
*Fit the graphite into place and attach it all using a light coating of clear Elmer's craft glue.

It takes about 20-min on the first attempt & the rest comes a little faster. (Ergo, the reason why these are not profitable to reproduce for Sutler's Row and why I'm not thrilled about making them in bulk.)

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 10:07:16 PM »
Forty Rod, that is an ink scraper. It also serves as a pen knife for cutting quills. These are commonly mistaken for surgical instruments when in reality, they were intended to scrape away mistakes. It works superbly well by shaving away the top layer of a sheet of paper thus removing the ink marking. They were very common right up into the early 20th century.

-Dave

Thanks, Dave.  I spent a day searching and can't find one like yours... but that's only one day and the Prescott Valley area is full of antique shops.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:52:35 PM »

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 08:26:01 AM »
The second one is a lot closer to what I'm looking for, but neither one is quite like Ma's.   :D Thanks.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com