Author Topic: Primitive Cooking Set  (Read 15501 times)

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
Re: Primitive Cooking Set
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 11:31:58 AM »
Some of the recipes are similar but not exact to the frontier version I have. One variation looks like it had meringue. Sounds tasty but not period according to my family recipes. This should probably be explored further in  a separate article.  (As if we didn't have enough food articles on the site already.)

Some other dishes I can add are various game stews, champurrado (in the morning before breakfast), "nice" breakfast potatoes, labskaus, various wild sweet potato dishes.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2015, 06:59:29 PM »
Some of them have meringue, others seem more like a custard, I expect the period version is something more like pecan pie, but without the pecans. Doubt anyone used a lot of eggs on the trail.

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2015, 12:18:07 AM »
Actually, the original recipe I have requires that it be covered in a regular pie crust just like any fruit pie.

-Dave

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:54:09 AM »

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2015, 11:40:10 AM »
Questions about pots...
The big pot hanging above indicates 'rings' around it, have seen this before and even 'modern-made' versions insome catalogs about 10 years ago or so. Kinda-sorta recall reading somewhere in a historical tome that those pots were made in what we now call the Netherlands and used as trade goods for primitive African tribes by Dutch traders, have seen many early pics of same, now we see them more frequently as semi-established campware.
Does anyone have a definitive answer as to where they originally came from and who traded them first to whom? What we now call 'Dutch ovens' may give us a clue, not sure. but will be interesting to read comments.
Also, in the 3 part series titled'1812', Paul Britten Austin writes about the preparation of the invasion of Moscow by Napoleon. Austin details the supply trains sent ahead to establish depots along the way with supplies, etc. as well as several wagons carrying coffee grinders and spices to be put in storage. The troops used the grinders til the coffee ran out along the way then tossed them.
One of the General's on the way back tossed all his 'booty and plunder' and instead kept his covered iron pot for hot meals, it was written that he always had a line of officers ready to eat whatever he could get into the pot.
Well, put on your thinking caps and we'll have fun with this!
Bet regards and don't burn yer fingers!
'Ol Gabe

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2015, 12:13:22 PM »
Trade goods were an international business. One of the early examples of globalization. At this time the Dutch were at the centre of it, even pinching glass bead technology from the Venetians (the former global traders). Dutch shipping supplied the world until GB took it over. 

e.g; African trade beads = Indian trade beads. The same with other trade goods such as needles, knives, pots, blankets and muskets.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2015, 12:47:21 PM »
Ol Gabe,

Good question!

I will try to answer to the best of my knowledge.

That "Black Iron"(cast iron) type of pot is quite old, just how old I do not, quite honestly, know for sure.

The "rings" are a method of casting structural strength, added support, into the cast iron, which was quite fragile.
Some of these pots (cauldrons) could be very large. Large enough to scaled a hog to help remove the hair before butchering.

Broken parts and piece of black iron pots (of approximately the size shown in the images) have ben found in association with the early Jamestown Settlement/Plantation system, from the early 1600's Virginia Colony.
Although this is somewhat brief, I hope it help adders your question.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2015, 06:12:16 PM »
During the mid 1800s, the US rose into prominence for its manufacturing capabilities. William Walker commented in his 1860 book  on how there were already foundries in california producing artillery ordinance for his campaign in 1856. Although many Eurpoean countries continued to export heavily throughout the world, foundries and other manufacturing centers were quite common in the US by the mid 1800s.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com