Author Topic: Somebody talk me out of it  (Read 3480 times)

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 154
Somebody talk me out of it
« on: November 21, 2013, 01:06:12 PM »
So I poke my muzzle into a pawn shop the other day, and there at the far end all by itself is a Lyman GPR, percussion, .54, looking NIB, for $349. I have had three or four GPRs over the years, all fine shooters and as we all know, not quite "right" but not as "wrong" as a lot of other mass-produced so-called plains rifles.
Being totally without a rifle appropriate to our period just now, I am tempted to go back, confirm the bore is sound, and offer them $275. If I drag it home, I will make some mods: take out the perch belly, give the metal some mustard treatment, mebbe even whang on it gently to give it some handling marks and character. I know, done wrong this leads to an unsaleable mess, but I am old enough now that I don't much care. I'll try to avoid the temptation to add Ind'n tacks, but that's the only promise I will make. Just don't want no shooter what looks like 5,000 others, if you get my drift.

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: Somebody talk me out of it
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 02:19:01 PM »
 Sound's like you should go get that GPR Bill. But dont worry about the antique job,just send it to me and I'll lend it to my brotherinlaw for a wk. That should be long enough fer him to do his handywork. He has alway's managed to age my loaner rifle for me in that much time or less.Dont bother putin the tack's on until it comes back to Ya ,cause he will loose at least half of them for sure. That feller has a way of distressing anything,,,,,,,Dusty

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 03:44:49 PM »
Ten reasons why you should not buy this gun:

• Your wife wants jewelry for Christmas
    You still haven't opened last months fuel oil bill
    Your 42 gun safe is already holding 57 firearms
    You haven't paid back the kids college fund from the last three guns you bought
    The tremors you developed when you last left a gun store without a firearm might indicate an addiction problem
    The BATF has just placed you on their Christmas card list
    You suspect the local police are already watching your place
    The gun comes with a deal because Eric Holder wants you to pick up a second one and deliver it to a friend in Mexico
    Given the choice of the Playboy Channel or watching reruns of Jeremiah Johnson, you choose the later
    ObamaCare - if you have not been cancelled yet, you will be, keep reciting the words "much higher deductible"

NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:37:42 PM »

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 04:16:19 PM »
James, if I could (like) that comment like we can on Facebook, I'd do it.

Well said.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 154
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 06:12:20 PM »
James, you got me smilin' here in the high desert this afternoon.
 :D
Couldn't help myself boys. I went back to the shop with some cold hard jack in my pocket and examined said GPR very closely. Other than a few handling marks and some patina and rub marks on the ramrod, it was in excellent shape, and the bore appeared new.
So I offered $275, they countered at $300, I countered at $290 and we flipped for the difference. I won. As there is no sales tax in Oregon, it was $290 out the door -- a good buy in my book for a .54 round-ball-twist GPR in 95 percent shape. Now I have a reason to finish out that bison powder horn project and cut and sew up a new hunting bag.
Boy, the projects are piling up, but it is almost winter (we had a low of 0 F this morning) and it's the right time for it. Got a new set of scrapers I am going to put to work on that stock belly.

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 06:26:09 PM »
Thank Ya made a Good Deal Amigo.,,,,,,Dusty

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 06:38:15 PM »
I love it when a plan falls together!

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com