Author Topic: 1830s to 1840s era footwear  (Read 9871 times)

Offline cowboy_paul

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1830s to 1840s era footwear
« on: November 03, 2013, 10:25:01 PM »
Going to be attending a mountain man rendezvous with a friend, I have all of the period correct gear except footwear, I usually do 1870s era cowboy reenacting, I have a pair of brown knee high cavalry style mule ear boots, can I wear them to this rendezvous with my pantlegs tucked in (they aren't hemmed and are too long) and still look correct?

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: 1830s to 1840s era footwear
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 02:23:57 AM »
A non judgmental... yes, with a reserve of the boot design  :-\

if you have the two piece boot ( that is, less the Wellington Vamp ) then you have what would have been common.

If it's a 3 piece ( vamp, front shin & calf shaves) these did exist in Europe , but few in New England, and very rare if at all west of the Mississippi ( though the "well to do" might have them in San Francisco )

You might look to Moccasins, and maybe Botas  ... steer clear of Dyers ,  and Minnetonka  ::)

take a gander at http://www.fugawee.com/
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 11:17:38 AM »
+1 on what the Major said.

Bota's may do a decent job of covering a farb pair of boots, Crazy Crow (something less than a bastion of authenticity so don't buy anything else there) usually has small (5 - 7 yards) amounts of faux brain (German) tan leather that would do the job - soak it in some walnut hull dye for a week and it will look authentic. Unadorned Botas are the one thing you can not screw up if you are not into making stuff.

Moccasins are probably your best option. They say they are not hard to make but mine always seem to come out looking like elf shoes. You may wish to try the kits offered by Smoke and Fire, I have used them. I swap out the fake sinew and use linen thread. When asked why I am wearing center seams in the mountains I explain that I bought them from a Delaware women in St. Louis.

http://www.smoke-fire.com/moccasins-1.asp
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:12:02 AM »

Offline cowboy_paul

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 06:10:13 PM »
What is wrong with the Minnetonka moccasins? They look well made and durable

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 07:56:55 PM »
What is wrong with the Minnetonka moccasins? They look well made and durable

They undoubtedly are, likewise Dyer's are excellent in their manufacturer. Unfortunately the former date to about 1946 (the company's beginning) and the later to the early buckskinning era. I suppose that one might argue that the Minnetonka's sorta, mighta, resemble pucker toes at a great distance as Dyer's are a good idea and if they had them they would have worn them. Not wishing to be a thread counter, there is room for all, but these two products are so far out of the norm that you will be buying something else after your first event.

The Minnetonka boots are good for an early hippie impression, they go well with a painted 68 VW bus. (Sorry, could not resist)
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 05:09:06 PM »
Cowboy Paul: What are you looking for, and what do you hope to get out of your rendezvous visit? If you are thinking of getting into re-enacting the period, than I'd pay strong heed to what's already been said. It's good advice, and will save you money down the road. If this is a one-time visit to a local rendezvous, then your cowboy boots will probably be fine. Your friend should be able to tell you how strict you need to be.

Offline cowboy_paul

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 10:19:40 PM »
I talked to her and she said that she has the same style of Minnetonka boots that I just bought, buuut...that at some of the larger rendezvous I may stand out due to the fact the top fringed portion of the boot was not a style seen until the 1860s or later, but for me they will do, what I hope to get from reenacting is a close facsimile of life in the 19th century, starting with the colonial and buckskinning period, into the gold rush era, onto the civil war, the following expansion and farming as well as cattle culture, as well as the buffalo hunting. And as such I have the attire to use to close as I financially am able, reenact multiple periods, and with some time and additional funds, the firearms to span those eras, as well as period camping and cooking, which remained virtually unchanged from 1803-1899, canvas tent, army cot, bed roll, woden chairs and table and cast iron cookware. My love for history and the lives of those in those eras drives my love of reenacting, along with the research, searching for historical items and gear, as well as the lessons their often simple but fulfilling lives can teach us. And if history teaches us anything, its that those who don't learn from the mistakes of the past are doomed to repeat them.

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 01:14:01 PM »
Cowboy Paul: Woops, did not realize you bought a pair of Minnetonka boots. I did not mean to impugn your efforts with the hippie comment. I was the guy in the 68 VW during the "period" and they, a buck knife, and a Martin guitar were requisite for many.

But at the end of the day it is all about having fun and experiencing history as you see it. Hope you enjoy the rendezvous!
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA

Offline cowboy_paul

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 06:41:48 PM »
And now I have a new era to reenact, I just need a bus, bong and bag of oregano ;D

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 10:23:47 AM »
Hi,
I agree with the bus, but a bag of oregano and a bong might earn you a very long weekend as a guest of the 'county mounties' as they send that oregano off to be analyzed ...

TTFN,
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Jeremiah

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 04:10:13 PM »
You'll have to come to Colorado for that 1968 impression.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 10:17:20 AM »
Hi,

FYI: if your foot fits what they have left, Fort Western is having a sale on their old stock (they are going to slightly different colors):

http://www.fortwestern.com/old-west-cowboy-boots/

Check out the Mule Ears!

TTFN,
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 10:25:51 AM »
Major 2 et al,

I wear boots with the Wellington Vamp or keyhole tongue for reenacting .... and I have found that older spur straps (ie. wide ones) cover the area just fine ... and what person would not have spurs on?

NCOWS #3403

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 12:12:17 AM »
Paul, I'm with the others on the boots. I don't know what you have but moccasins are the best bet for a rendezvous and they are fairly inexpensive. I am also a big fan of using "botas de' talon" with a pair of 1840's era brogans. My choice for this is Missouri Boot and Shoe. Bob Serio is a good and fair man to do business with and his stuff lasts.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com