Author Topic: Round ball rifle in .50 Caliber  (Read 4163 times)

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Round ball rifle in .50 Caliber
« on: October 26, 2012, 06:44:59 PM »
Howdy
I have a TC Pennsylvania Hunter I have taken 20 Deer with this old Rifle . To get the Best accuracy from this Rifle  I need 2 of the .15 patches with my .490 round ball . Was wondering about using a.500 ball  and a single patch . Has anyone else had that problem ???

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Round ball rifle in .50 Caliber
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 10:49:23 AM »
I had a .50 Green River Forge 'Astorian' flinter that did it's best work with a .495 ball and a thin commercial cleaning patch. I wet the patches in my mouth, which eventually caused a slight rust problem if left for a few days while hunting.

You gotta feed 'em what they like. That takes experimentation.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 10:00:46 AM »
PJ
I have used the .495 in the past . I ran out this summer . So after using the 2 patches to tighten up my groups , I ordered the .500 balls to try . When I get a chance to shoot them will let everyone know  how they worked ? Also what kind of powder load is everyone shooting and also what type powder ?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:49:11 PM »

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 04:06:21 PM »
I'd have to agree with PJ in that every rifle is different. The most accurate ML rifle I ever owned had a .45 Getz barrel. I ended up using an unbelievably tight ball/patch combination and nearly 80 grs of 3F Goex. Other rifles would chew up the patch if I tried such an oversized ball. I've tried double patches, and even super thick single patch material with lighter balls, with varying results. In my experience, I've always had better luck with a single patch of regular pillow ticking, then varying the ball size or powder charge until I got the accuracy I wanted, but you may have different results.

Kind of changing the subject, but I've also noticed that I shoot differently now, too. When I was younger, I got better accuracy with heavier charges, but as I've gotten older, I've found that I get tighter groups with lighter charges, even using the same rifle. I assume it's because I'm holding my rifle differently. Right now I'm using a .495 ball with ticking from the local fabric store in my hunting rifle, but that might change down the road.

Offline boilerplatejackson

• Master Tailor
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Mastor Tailor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 01:05:41 AM »
Rowdy,

Any positive results from using the .500 round balls? I have a .54 cal. Investarms barrel that likes a .010 lubed patch and a .535
round ball. It also performs better when I put a dry cotton ball ontop of my powder charge then seat the patched ball. Less
gas cutting with that system. I shoot Triple 7 and Pyrodex Select with very good results at 100 yards from the bench. Two
weeks ago I bought a New Englander 12 gauge. I plan on playing around with some .690 patched round balls in it, as well
as various shot loads.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 06:53:09 PM »
Howdy
Today I finally got a chance to try the .500 dia . balls . I shoot it with a thick patch , which I literally had to drive down the barrel . I will be loading and shooting a thinner patch . Will try the .18 patch next or may just use the .15 first and then try the .18 ? I also tried the Hornady Pennsylvania ballet ? It's a conical that is designed to shoot in a round ball rifle , much like the ballet from Buffalo bullets a few years ago . They showed some potential about a 2 inch group at 50 yards . They are faster to work with in the field .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com