Author Topic: View of Primitive Camp  (Read 6875 times)

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
View of Primitive Camp
« on: January 04, 2012, 11:38:44 AM »
Called camping on the prairie

This picture shows Paul Kane  right of the tent and a Mitis' that accompanied him during the year 1846.  

This picture is on display at the Stark Museum of Art Orange, Texas, U.S.A.

I believe this picture gives a good indication of what a primitive camp of our time period would have looked like.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
Re: View of Primitive Camp
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 04:39:30 PM »
Two Walks: Thanks for posting that -- it's charmingly simple. I'm quite taken by the two-wheeled cart. Does one horse pull the cart with the Metis driving, and Kane rides the other horse? Wouldn't that be the Metis to the right, seated with the pipe? His clothes just look more colorful.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 06:00:26 PM »
Metis carts on the trail

I know that's a basket with red trade blanket .... but Dang it sorta looks an old Igloo cooler  :o
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:45:13 PM »

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 04:41:13 PM »
Adding a couple more of Paul Kane's paintings, they show how simple a primitive camp can be.

Offline buffalo bill

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 10:48:04 PM »
Howdy, Boys.
     I have been trying to figure out how to post pictures of my camp to show how it compares to the first one in this post. Wedge tent, red river oxcart, odds and ends scattered around etc. I received my January issue of Muzzle Blasts magazine and there it is on page 9 ! If you get Muzzle Blasts, and I don't know why you wouldn't, my article this month is on "THE HUNTERS OF FT UNION." Pretty good view of my camp. My next article will be on Alexander Harvey, the 'boldest man on the Missouri'. Some day I hope to do an article on TAPS. That should be a good one, donchathink?

'SCOUTIN' for SHAGGIES'

BUFFALO BILL
Col. W. F. Cody 1846-1917

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 12:21:22 AM »
Congratulations, Bill! I haven't been a member of the NMLRA for a good many years, so I don't get the magazine. I looked on-line, but couldn't find it posted anywhere. Good job, though; it's not an easy market to break into.

If you're having trouble posting photos of your camp, you can send them to me and I'll see what I can do. And I agree -- an article on The American Plainsmen Society would be a good fit for magazines like Muzzle Blasts or Muzzle Loader, and maybe a few others , besides.

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 01:29:54 PM »
That is a great painting that is indicative of a camp from that period - although it is probably what an eastern artist would need and not necessarily indicative of what a frontiersman would use. I think a camp reflects largely what type of transportation you'd have. If one was traveling with a pack animal it would probably be limited to a piece of canvas  that might be used in poor weather, if your purpose required a wagon it may have provided you with an actual tent, and if you were Russian royalty, well you may have had quite a wine selection with you. All would be period. I think a camp depends on who you are, what you are doing, and how you are getting there.

Albeit a bit later than the period discussed here, my buffalo hunting pals and I travel with a Missouri freight wagon capable of several thousand pounds and allows us some items of comfort. Below is our camp on the Kansas plains in 1872.

NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 02:06:36 PM »
Impressive camp, Mr. Hunt.

Deadwood

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 10:00:31 PM »
James: I always enjoy looking at photos of your camp and outfit. That's the kind of attention to detail I'd like to see all of us strive for. Even the fact that it's flipped adds to the sense of authenticity. Thanks for posting it here. Caleb

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 10:36:44 PM »
Thanks for the kind comment.

You know that simple piece of canvas - I think it is probably 10 oz. purchased from Lowe's for $20 - has covered us in 90 degree heat and near zero weather and in rain and snow. It is not really bad, it is actually more convenient than my $300 super light nylon - ripstop - or whatever it is backpacking tent - a lot easier to get out of in the middle of the night after to much coffee over evening meal.

It really gives up nothing in comfort. With a buffalo robe thrown down to sleep on top of it is as good as any cot in my opinion, and in the near zero weather I roll up in my single wool blanket with a robe below me and a robe over me and am as warm if not warmer than the $200 super light back packing sleeping bag I also own.

I guess what I am saying is that a primitive camp such as this one really gives up nothing in comfort.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 12:51:28 PM »
Mr Hunt ... thank you for a glimpse in time at a very pristine and useful camp.

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • GAF, Department of the Missouri
    • Talbot's Fine Accessories
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 09:34:31 PM »
Hello all, I was surprised to see that all the paintings show a ruler straight upper edge to the tents. This when combined with the lack of ropes tells us they used a ridge pole. This surprises me sinc it is one more piece of lumber to carry. None appear to use the found limbs in the way the James' Hunt's does. I'm sure that many did what Mr. Hunt did but what do you think is the thought pattern behind the more permanent poles and ridge in these paintings? Or am I misinterpreting what I am seeing?
George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 10:00:56 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised at a ridge pole, since the metis were known to carry tipi poles atop their carts. I also wouldn't discount artistic license, since I don't see any guide ropes, either.

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 08:50:06 AM »
Analysis of the picture says to me they were using tents rather than a fly like James Hunt uses as I see what appears to be end flaps opened back accross to top of the tents.  The one in the Kane picture looks to be a wall tent and the others appear to be  wedge tents.   The lack of ropes would mean all the tents are "magic". LOL.   The Kane picture appears to be out on the prairie when poles picked up off the ground would be very difficult.  There are a lot more trees on the Great Plains today than existed in the 1850's.  Lavender's book on Bents Fort states the Arkansas River did not have any timber growing along its banks.  Bent had to travel to Big Timbers (70 miles) to get the cottonwood trunks they used for vega's in building the fort.  Big Timbers is about where Lamar, CO is today and it was the only timber on the Arkansas.  Today it is solid trees and tamarac from Canon City east.   My best guess if you were traveling with a cart or a wagon you had tent poles. 

T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline buffalo bill

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 10:49:18 AM »
Howdy, boys. Been a little while since I have had the opportunity to visit. When I do my hunter camp, I have a red river oxcart and like some of you have mentioned, they did carry poles with them. The Metis hunters carried A LOT of poles with them to dry the meat on. Without poles, they would not have been able to dry the buffalo meat to make pemmican . A couple more for their tents would not be any big deal. Just my two cents. Have a good one!                                          .                                                                                                                                            'SCOUTIN' for SHAGGIES'                                                                                                                                                                                                      BUFFALO BILL
Col. W. F. Cody 1846-1917

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 11:04:36 AM »
I never considered the plains factor and its timber free nature.

my wedge tent is free from ropes and uses a ridge pole so it looks very similar to the one in those paintings.
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 03:10:07 PM »
You dont use end ropes to tie the wedge to the ground in a wind?  I have never used a wedge tent so I dont know.

Offline G.W. Strong

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 03:50:52 PM »
Mine uses no ropes at all
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 04:16:25 PM »
The real deal, although early 1870's.

If it could at all be avoided I doubt that many would have hauled poles along with them. If you were traveling with stock you had to find water, if you found water you often found vegetation and trees, or else wood that had been carried down stream. Note the picture above, that seen used to support the canvas appears to be field expedient stuff. Also note the lack of ropes, if you do it right they just aren't needed. My outfit has stood up in some pretty bad weather, in fact it has never come down. Like I said the canvas cost me about $20 at Lowes, and the poles came out of the back of my place, and it is really better than the expensive backpacking tent I own, and right up there with the cowboy teepee I also own.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 09:04:21 AM »
Cool Picuture.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk