Author Topic: Gallopin' Gallagher!  (Read 8863 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gallopin' Gallagher!
« on: November 26, 2011, 05:45:04 PM »
Got my ERMA Gallagher carbine back t'other day after a trigger and hammer lightening job. Much improved!

Took it to the range with some cases loaded with 40 grs FFFG (all the cases will hold) and swadged .530 RB, and some with Rapine 520/375 bullets cast from pure lead. As cast, the Rapine bullets were .519, a loose bore fit. I had to size them in my .512 die for them to socket into the cases. I was hoping that the Rapine bullets would 'bump up' but it didn't happen. They rattled down the bore and key holed.

The .530 RB grouped 6-8" at 50 yds off hand; certainly 'minute of steel Cowboy' accuracy at least to 75 yds. There is a 10" x 12" gong at 50 yds that I was able to ring consistently.

Not exactly a tack driver, but definitely a fun plinker! If I decide to keep it, I may have it relined to .510 which will probably be more accurate with the .512 375 gr Rapine bullets.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
Re: Gallopin' Gallagher!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 07:30:04 PM »
And the images of said carbine would be where?

;)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 10:25:41 AM »
Oregon Bill

Where would the images be? Well, in any book on Civil War carbines for a start.

There is something incongruous about having an interest in archaic guns like the Gallagher and fiddling with digital cameras that sticks in my craw.
The Gallagher wouldn't have been my first choice, then or now, but it came to me in 'as new' condition for a price I couldn't refuse.
Best I can say for it is that it works and probably better than not being armed at all.

In Peter Schiffers book on ACW carbines (available from manatarms.com), the Gallagher is one of a dozen original carbines he tested for function and accuracy at 55, 110 and 220 metres. It didn't come in dead last, but not far from it. One of the reasons was the slow 1x72" twist.
The ERMA repro went the other route with 1x18"! If I get it relined to .50, I'll ask for nothing slower than 1 x 36" like my Shiloh 50-70 Military Rifle.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:36:55 AM »

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 10:37:29 AM »
PJ: Just giving you the business. I've handled the Erma Gallagher and found it charming. I have owned original Merrill, Maynard and Burnside carbines and miss the Merrill the most.
I admit being intrigued by the Smith repop, too.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 07:02:51 AM »
Congrats on the find.  Made this label for someone else who had one. 

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 07:58:25 PM »
Mogorilla

Great label! Thanks for the post.

What intrigued me about the Gallagher was the half chamber design - part in the barrel, t'other in the breech. I made up a tool to extract stuck cases, but haven't had the problem.
I've got a pal really interested in relining the barrel to .510. It's just a question of the twist. Track of the Wolf offers a liner with 1 x 20", a tad fast I'm thinking. but not as fast as the current 1 x 18" on the .54 Gallagher barrel.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 06:55:29 AM »
No problem PJ, I like playing with graphics Enjoy shooting it, would love to see some pics.

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 10:50:42 AM »
PJ: Bobby Hoyt of the Freischutz Shop can turn your gun into a match winner. He's a relining/rerifling genius.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 09:50:19 AM »
Ordered a hammer forged .510 liner from T.J.'s yesterday. I discussed it's installation in my Gallagher and it doesn't appear to be rocket science.

This is going to let me shoot Rapine 375 gr bullets which socket into the cases perfectly. I expect to get better accuracy and range than I'm getting with RB.
If I get 'minute-of-steel-cowboy' at 100 yds, I'll be happy. I don't expect better from a Civil War cavalry carbine like the Gallagher.

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 11:14:27 AM »
PJ: What a great project. These old CW carbines are an absolute hoot to shoot. Hope you will eventually bless us with a photo though.

;)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 03:25:19 PM »
Oregon Bill

Yeah, I'm lookin' for'ard to it as well. Nothing wrong with shootin' RB, but a .50 cal bullet looks soooo much better ......

We are about to buy a new camera (12 -15 MP) to replace the entry level 5 MP gadget we currently have. I've tried taking gun pics with it before and it's a waste of time.
Then I gotta learn how to post the pics on the 'puter. Good thing I got a wife with 'lectronic smarts .... ;>)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com