Author Topic: John Browning Mountain Rifle  (Read 4247 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
John Browning Mountain Rifle
« on: December 02, 2011, 10:03:39 AM »
My 'as new', unfired .50 Browning Mountain Rifle arrived last week. What a beaut!

This rifle is to MLs what A Shiloh is to Sharps rifles - semi-custom. Dense, dark wood, great inletting, oil finish, browned steel furniture, pewter nose cap, SST. All the screw heads (and I mean ALL) are lined up parallel to the bore; the barrel key escutcheon screws, tang screws, etc.

She sure is built 'hell fer stout', the heaviest off hand rifle I own. No wonder the mountain men used their wiping sticks for a rest! J.S. Hawken sold x-sticks long before they became popular with the buffler hunters. The SST is going to spoil me for other rifles.

What would I change? Well, for starters, I'd like the hammer face x-hatched for safety. It's possible to let it slip right now as it's pretty smooth and not at a good vertical angle. I'd like a more traditional rear sight and a silver blade front. Small things easily done.

I found out that the nipple would not accept #11 caps. I ordered a couple that will and after I did that, I discovered I had a couple that would accept #10s. Now I got my druthers. Got a couple of custom horns coming and I've got a beautiful beaded possibles bag I lucked onto years ago at a Rendezvous

Lookin' forward to punchin' holes and makin' smoke with this Plains Rifle of the first order.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: John Browning Mountain Rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 12:54:16 PM »
Thet shines, it do.  You done yerseff proud, Peej.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 03:33:43 PM »
Thanks Forty Rod!

Yep, she shore does shine! I've hand rubbed in some coats of oil and waxed the wood; brought it up well and accentuated the grain.

Gonna be buyin' a new high rez camera soon so's I can post pics of some of my toys. One of the great joys of what we do is sharin' with others of like mind and values.
I've learned a lot by joinin' this forum from guys who've 'been there - done that'. I'm willin' ta learn from their experience. I mus' be gettin' old or sumthin'. Time was I preferred learnin' everything the hard way ..... ;>)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:46:20 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com