Author Topic: Who do you portray?  (Read 10680 times)

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Who do you portray?
« on: September 29, 2011, 11:54:57 AM »
We can't be all things to all people, but I was wondering what groups other folks would like to see represented within TAPS. If I went to a TAPS encampment, I think it would be great see some buffalo hunters, maybe some Cracker cow hunters, army scouts, Border Ruffians, Dragoons...

What other groups would people like to see represented? Or what do you portray? Or want to portray?

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: Who do you portray?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 12:05:32 PM »
mountain man WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 01:14:23 PM »
A selection of different tradesmen such as harness makers, wagon builders, seamstress, doctors etc.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:55:56 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 07:14:14 PM »
Cracker cow hunters.....that's my style..... maybe a Seminole or Creek Indian fighter,  Precious  few Mountian Men in the Palmetto Plains.  

Perhaps a inter-island schooner captian ( I sail rather well ) or a maybe Light keeper.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline ol coot

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 07:26:25 PM »

I am a sodbuster of the plains who sometimes rides for the law, and sometimes rides aginst the law.
  Right now I am riding Guard on a payroll wagon,soon to be my payroll.  ;D ;D
 Coot
My Lord is my shepard, my bible is my guide, my horse is my partner, my colt's on my side.  
RGA#684
RAT#514
Storm#370
SASS#46209

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 08:09:50 PM »
Scalphunter. Real egg-suckin', chicken stealin' gutter trash.

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 11:11:23 PM »
Drifter, sometimes scout, hunter, soldier of fortune...
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1160
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 02:35:46 AM »
A selection of different tradesmen such as harness makers, wagon builders, seamstress, doctors etc.

I resemble that remark:

Professor Marvel:    purveyor of useless items to the gentry

Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Supplying useless advice for All Occasions

I am still working on a peddlars pushcart/ guncart  that will open to display my wares on top and the above canvas banner dropped down, but will have drawers underneath to hold my rifle, shotgun, pistols, & etc.

yhs
prof marvelk
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 11:00:38 PM »
This sounds like a pretty varied bunch. My problem is that I'm too interested in too many areas, although I'm leaning heaviest toward a late 1850s buffalo hunter -- meat, hides, and tallow -- out of Kansas. Of course once I get a basic outfit together it wouldn't take much to change time frames or jobs if I wanted to for a certain event.

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 06:18:37 PM »
I try to model it off a period version of who I am now so I can be a bit more connected to my first-person impression.  I travel alot for both domestic and international business and have volunteered for EMS services but I am basically a good ol boy who likes hunting, tracking, fishing, prospecting and horses.

Impression: Freight/Merchandise Distribution Foreman (office and field work) also Cattle broker
Emmigrated from Nashville in 1845
Worked in freight & ranching and later prospected gold fields
Member of the Marion Rifes (San Francisco Militia) 1853-1854
Moved to Los Angeles in 1854
Member of Los Angeles Rangers (1854-57)
Filibustered in Nicaragua (1856-57)
(Maybe run for President next but not yet set on it. Still hunt and track as often as I can.)

-Dave

Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline Jubal Wilson

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 12:38:39 AM »
I portray a naturalist that came west with one of the government surveys. I studied the flora and fauna and mapped the geology along the route. I also did a little prospecting along the way. When the survey party returned to the east I stayed in the west doing odd jobs and prospecting. I found a lot of gold near the three forks of the Missouri river but lost everything to the Blackfeet. Never went north again.
I freighted on the Santa Fe trail for a number of years then went to California during the Rush. I made more money selling meat to the miners than most of the miners made.
This is just some of the things that make up who I am.
Jubal
Jubal Wilson

When a man loses his dreams he becomes a wanderer in the wasteland of human existence.

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 11:50:59 AM »
Jubal and Dave -- some pretty interesting profiles. Been kind of cool to see the background stories to everyone's personas, and how they affects your outfits. (Dave, I'll vote for ya if you decide to run. Where do I pick up a Nicaragua form?)

Offline buffalo bill

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 09:59:35 PM »
Jubal, just wondering where in South Dakota you live. I am in Minot up here in the other Dakota. As you know distance in the Dakotas is relative. Couple hundred miles ain't really that far up here. Glad to have you with us in TAPS. That goes for all of our new folks too. Welcome to the fire. Sit down and pass that jug.

'SCOUTIN' for SHAGGIES'

BUFFALO BILL
Col. W. F. Cody 1846-1917

Offline Jubal Wilson

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 09:47:07 PM »
Buffalo Bill,
I am now living in Hot Springs in the Dixie of the Black Hills. Only been here a couple of years so still learning the ropes around this final home. Minot is a passel off. Keep me mind if you get down this way. My traveling days are not as great as they once were.
Jubal
Jubal Wilson

When a man loses his dreams he becomes a wanderer in the wasteland of human existence.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 12:07:53 AM »
I have a foot in two worlds ... the 1880s SASS period and that of 1849-1860 in Sacramento. Things were much different out here, and plains people were not the cute Ward Bond/Wagon Train personas once they got to California ... the favorite weapon was a knife or Peppermill pistol .... or for the very affluent, and 1949 Colt Revolver Then in 1851, the first shipment of the infamously famous '51 Colts reached California and things were never the same ....

My profile pic is that of a native Californio ... kind of an oxymoron since all Calfornios were born here. IT is one of my personnas and I am working on another ... a person who crossed the plains, tried mining for gild and decided to mine the miners ... and now has a leather and saddle shop in Old Sacramento ... I am enclosing a couple of pics taken during reenactments ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2011, 03:39:58 AM »
I have a foot in two worlds ... the 1880s SASS period and that of 1849-1860 in Sacramento. Things were much different out here, and plains people were not the cute Ward Bond/Wagon Train personas once they got to California ... the favorite weapon was a knife or Peppermill pistol .... or for the very affluent, and 1949 Colt Revolver Then in 1851, the first shipment of the infamously famous '51 Colts reached California and things were never the same ....

My profile pic is that of a native Californio ... kind of an oxymoron since all Calfornios were born here. IT is one of my personnas and I am working on another ... a person who crossed the plains, tried mining for gild and decided to mine the miners ... and now has a leather and saddle shop in Old Sacramento ... I am enclosing a couple of pics taken during reenactments ....
I would like to see one of them 1949 Colts Wadd.  ;) WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2011, 08:19:46 AM »
Wildman,

My computer is on its last legs, and the typing does not show up for a half minute after I am done ... I catch most of my typos but every once ina while one slips past ... of course I meant 1849 Colts ... *S*
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2011, 08:43:05 AM »
Wildman,

My computer is on its last legs, and the typing does not show up for a half minute after I am done ... I catch most of my typos but every once ina while one slips past ... of course I meant 1849 Colts ... *S*

Skip aka WWE, you and that computer might be slowing down, but welcome to TAPS.  8)
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 09:40:07 AM »
Thanks ... its nice to be here ... right now I am in search of stuff for my Confederate persona ... that of the original Wadd Watson Ellis ... I think I am set up except for the long gun ... I would love a Maynard but it will not happen unless I find a used one at a good price or refinance my house for a new one ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 12:03:34 PM »
Yep, I knew that WWE. Jest yankin yer chain a little.  :P WM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com