Author Topic: Worman & Garavaglia's Book: Firearms of the American West, Volume I: 1803-1865  (Read 4919 times)

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
Pards,

This is a "must read" for anyone really interested in the firearms of the period in which we're all interested.  Here's the link to Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Firearms-American-West-1803-1865-v/dp/0870814834/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314762136&sr=1-3

I am fortunate enough to already own both volumes of this great set.  Messrs. Worman and Garavaglia did an excellent job of tracking down primary sources in establishing whether a firearm was in use or not by folks in the West.  Once I am home the second week of September, I will be able to reference this Volume and will be more than happy to provide information to anyone interested in whether a particular firearm was in use or not.

Regards,
Jake

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Thanks Jake, both for the link to the book and the offer to provide information.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
I hearily agree Jake - they are both usually my first go to books due in large part to their emphasis on using primary documentation. I would also recommend Worman's newer book "Gunsmoke and Saddle Leather" - it is not just a rewrite of the earlier book but has much additional and more current info on the period firearms - plus some great pics not in the earlier books.
http://www.amazon.com/Gunsmoke-Saddle-Leather-Firearms-Nineteenth-Century/dp/0826335934

None of the three are really cheap but they are all three such excellent resources I would recommend them to those who can get them - still like ANY resource they should be cross refernced as much as possible......
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Advertising

Offline Colt Fanning

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Hi,
Would you look up when henrys and spencers were first offered to the public?  I think it was before 1860.
Regards
Colt

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Colt, I will be more than happy to do that, sir!  But it will be after the 12th of September before I can do so, as I am sitting in lovely Northern Iraq right now!  I will definitely do it once I am home.

Best Regards,
Jake

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Hi,
Would you look up when henrys and spencers were first offered to the public?  I think it was before 1860.
Regards
Colt

After a quick persual on this subject last night and according to the book they do not show up as being offered to the public until 1862-1863 for the Henry and 1863-1864 for the Spencer. Both show up in retail offerings from several areas of the West including California. If you want exact dates I will have to go back to the book. So yes they were available but not until the late part of the period and then in apparently limited quantites since most were going to the military at the time.
aka Nolan Sackett

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Thanks for providing the answer for Colt, Chuck!  I appreciate it, sir!

Regards,
Jake

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
You're welcome Jake and watch yore top knot over there in Injun country.......... ;)

I re-checked the dates and they are essentially correct per that source and two others I cross referneced to - also both the Spencer and Henry were not even patented until 1860 so there is no way either could be available pre-1860. The Volcanic lever action that is the Henry's granpappy was available prior to 1860.

There were other breech loaders available though: the Browning Harmonica, the Sharps, the Joslyn, the Starr, the Ballard are just a few
aka Nolan Sackett

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
Whoa, Chuck: Thanks for the heads up on Worman's newer book. I have both volumes of W and G and would not be without them!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com